General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off Season Training Goal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-01 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Subject: Off Season Training Goal

So my tri season is over but I have at least 1 race left maybe 2 big races. I may do a few 5k or 10k's but those would be more speed work/training runs. I am finishing what is technically my first tri season, although it was only 1 race I loved it. I am starting to look towards my off season and what my goals should be. I am wondering what opinions people have about these goals.

Weight: Before April down to 170-180lbs, currently 205lbs. 5' 9"

I am debating about a HIM next year so my goals for long days would be S 2.4k, R 18m, B 75m. I have no life. My tentative training idea is S 3-5 days a week during lunch, B/R 3 days each a week and alternate Saturdays for a long R/B/S. Most of my training will be inside since the winter in Alaska can get down to -40*F. Around Oct 15 my outside riding will be done and by Nov 1 I will be inside for everything. Inside will last until around March 1. My first tri next year would be a Sprint early May.

I want to be competitive in Sprints and Oly's but finish the HIM. I will also be leaving Alaska in May and will probably have about 1-2 weeks of travel time to my next duty Station. I am active military so I do also get an additional session of PT that is required.

I will be getting the rest of my training log up to date, April, May and June are not complete.

2012-08-01 7:59 PM
in reply to: #4341688

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Off Season Training Goal

I think the weight loss goal sounds reasonable given the time frame. I will let other people speak to trying to lose weight and improve performance at the same time. I think the trick is making sure you have enough calories to do the long, hard workouts, which could slow your weight loss. I'm just going by memory on what I read in a different thread on this site. 

Your winter will be a more extreme version of my summer. I have been doing most of my long runs on the treadmill lately to avoid the heat. I could make it work by getting up early on weekends, but I will always talk myself out of it when the alarm goes off if I know there's another way to get the workout in later in the day. I can handle the outdoor rides, though.

You mentioned May for the sprint, what time of year is your HIM? Have you checked out any training plans?

As of yet, I haven't done any long tris, but I like to focus on shorter and faster running races in the first part of the year and do longer races toward the end. This also works very well with the local race calendar. I do my first Oly this August and want to do a HIM late summer or fall next year.

Happy training!

2012-08-01 9:27 PM

User image

For most people new to the sport, I would recommend normal training through the "off season" (season when there are no races)...or just train as much as possible.  Take rest days or lighter workouts if your body gives you signs that you need it, but by no means do you need to spend several months training at a lower volume or intensity just because you are not in racing season. 

Most of us mere mortals do not have enough time to train so hard in season where we actually need a significant off season...unless it's a mental off season, or an off season to focus on other priorities like family.  If your priority is to keep making improvements for next season, then keep training year round.

2012-08-02 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Keep training consistently and lose the weight. I speak from experience that the lighter you get the faster you will get and it is so much easier on your body. Obviously the weight loss needs to be done sensibly but it will help a lot.

Thank you for your service. Keep training and hopefully you will get stationed in a better training location!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off Season Training Goal Rss Feed