General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for tri clubs or training opportunities is the Ft. Lauderdale to Jupiter Beach areas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-02 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI
Subject: Looking for tri clubs or training opportunities is the Ft. Lauderdale to Jupiter Beach areas

I am going to be in Delray Beach, West Palm Beach, Jupiter Beach from 8/20 - 9/3 and will be looking for training opportunities; figured that I may look for a club to "drop in" to workouts with or looking for a group of BTers that can help me with where and when to train.

I am training for IM FL and have some big weeks coming up... oh as well as my wedding on Jupiter Beach on the 25th!  :-

Any suggestions??  I am off of the A1A for nearly a whole week so I figure biking and running should be pretty easy, however I really need some OWS time and I am afraid to swim in the drink alone... being from MI we have no sea creatures, rip tides, or substantial waves to speak of.

2012-08-02 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4343894

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: RE: Looking for tri clubs or training opportunities is the Ft. Lauderdale to Jupiter Beach areas

Check out Boca Raton Triathlon cLub  www.bocatri.com

They do OWS every monday night, weather permitting as well as Wednesday Mornings.

2012-08-02 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Looking for tri clubs or training opportunities is the Ft. Lauderdale to Jupiter Beach areas
I can't vouch for this store, but it has organized swims. http://trirunningsports.com/
2012-08-03 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
})i({RunnerGirl - 2012-08-02 2:57 PM

I am going to be in Delray Beach, West Palm Beach, Jupiter Beach from 8/20 - 9/3 and will be looking for training opportunities; figured that I may look for a club to "drop in" to workouts with or looking for a group of BTers that can help me with where and when to train.

I am training for IM FL and have some big weeks coming up... oh as well as my wedding on Jupiter Beach on the 25th!  :-

Any suggestions??  I am off of the A1A for nearly a whole week so I figure biking and running should be pretty easy, however I really need some OWS time and I am afraid to swim in the drink alone... being from MI we have no sea creatures, rip tides, or substantial waves to speak of.

Our sea creatures are really pretty docile.

Happy Wedding!
2012-08-07 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4344463

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida

amd723 - 2012-08-02 7:43 PM I can't vouch for this store, but it has organized swims. http://trirunningsports.com/

I can vouch for it.  Linda Robb-Neary and George Robb are the owners.  Linda's a professional Triathlete.  She's in there after 1pm (trains in the AM). Great people and very good store for being so small.

The workouts are posted on the main website.  I highly recommend the Intracoastal Swim on Friday morning.  If you go up to Coral Cove park on Jupiter Island, you'll see a bunch of vehicles on the left side of Ocean Drive facing south.  About 20 of us wade into the water there, swim to the bridge (about 1100 meters) and back.  Current can be a pain, but the water's so shallow through most of it that you can walk.  Great bunch of people.  3 of them are slower than mollasses, 6 or so are really fast, and then the rest of us make-up the average.  There are manatees in there, some stingrays, but we've had nothing but fun in those swims.

Saturday morning, meet at the Dunkin Donuts on Donald Ross by the store, there are all levels (about 50 people in all) leave from the store and run out to Ocean Dr and head north).  George puts-out water and gatorade before the run so you don't have to carry a bottle if you don't want to.  Bathrooms about every 1.5 miles along the west side of Ocean Drive.  Please wear a light if you do run out there.

One more workout I never miss is the Thursday Morning Track Workout.  It's kinda a guerilla workout because there's a handshake deal to allow us to be out there.  If you get hurt, we'll throw your carcass on Central Ave so nobody sues...But it's a great workout at Benjamin School (High School Track)  It's on Central Ave in Jupiter.  Paul Reback is the organizer.  His Daughter is Laura Bennett (olympian).

JTown Bikes is my LBS.  They have a great staff there and they do rides, although I haven't been out with them.  If you bring your bike and need service, they will get it fixed and out the door fast.

Congrats on your wedding.  Good luck on your marriage!  I'm coming-up on 10 years.  There'll be bumps along the way, just don't give up.

ETA: One more swim workout that I haven't been to yet, but I remembered: Carlin Park Monday morning at 6:00 or 6:30.  Can't remember.  Look for Linda Bostic's Facebook Page or North Palm Beach Wahoos Facebook Page.  I can't facebook from work, but she posts that workout there.  ~1 mile swim in the ocean.  Jake is the coach for that. 

Edited by GomesBolt 2012-08-07 9:40 AM
2012-08-08 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4344463

User image

Veteran
Jupiter, FL

amd723 - 2012-08-02 7:43 PM I can't vouch for this store, but it has organized swims. http://trirunningsports.com/

Ibelong to this club and highly recommend it. Call Linda Robb 561-694-8125 to get a schedule of runs, rides and swims.

2012-08-10 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

First off, congrats on the wedding.

Second, I know what you mean about some big weeks coming up leading into IMFL...my legs/body is hating me lately.

Third, I am from Jupiter originally, but have since moved. I have gone down a few times, but never lived down there while doing triathlons. However, I happened to stumble into the aforementioned shop and was amazed at what a great tri-related shop it was. Linda has some amazing stories, especially for someone so relatively new to the sport, such as myself. 

Best of luck training, there are some beautiful spots to take in. I actually was down there quite a bit for work/personal events in early spring which happened to coorespond with some key weeks in my marathon training. Running from Jupiter Inlet down to Singer Island was an amazing run, and one that I will never forgot. I can actually say it was a 'fun' 20 mile run. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for tri clubs or training opportunities is the Ft. Lauderdale to Jupiter Beach areas Rss Feed