General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Issue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-03 6:40 AM

New user
Subject: Heart Rate Monitor Issue

Ill try to keep this short and sweet. My garmin HRM has been working perfectly since Oct. of last year, did 2 triathlons with it. During the 2nd one I started getting false readings and at times wouldn't even show a reading. I changed the battery and no change. I even left the battery out for a few mins and installed the battery backward to "short" the system as recommended by Garmin. Took it for a run last night and still the same problem. The contact pads were plenty wet. I tried to look this up on Garmin, but their forum is either down or my work computer doesn't like the page all of a sudden.  

2012-08-03 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4344858

User image

Regular
Teaneck, New Jersey
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Monitor Issue
I don't have an answer to your specific question but I have found Garmin's customer support to be pretty good. I have contacted them for my Forerunner 305 and they are sending me a replacement unit. It's not free but less than a new one.
2012-08-03 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4344858

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Before contacting them, maybe try cleaning the contact pads. I know, its a long shot, but that has helped me in the past. These things do tend to stop working properly after a few years, regardless of chaning batteries. I have a desk full of old ones over the last 10 years.
2012-08-03 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4344957

User image

Lakeland, Florida
I have been through about 5 transmitters/straps in three years. I clean them after each use.
My problem is that the heart rate reading will go impossibly high. I would just start running and it would already show my heart rate at 215bpm.

I have determined that once this happens, the reading are to erratic to belive going forward.
Web has many posts by users with similar problem.

I do think Garmin customer service is very friendly. On my first strap, it was out of warranty and they wouldn't do anything...so I ordered a new one from HRMUSA.

Since then I have religiously called Garmin as soon as it malfunctions, while it is still in warranty, to get a new one. That solves the problem every time. Note you need a new strap/transmitter combo, not just a new strap.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Issue Rss Feed