General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cleveland, Ohio
United States
Pacific Sports LLC
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Thunderstorm at 2am (?). Dog kept getting up and down from the bed on a loud floor. I tried to sleep through it, but it was too loud. Eventually went back to sleep.

Woke at 5, hit snooze twice, out of bed, pack the car and go. Missed the deadline to get on the shoreway, so we had to take Detroit Rd. in. Got marked, set up, ate my banana and a little pb sammy. Saw Steve off for his race, drank my G1 Prime, and I was good to go.
Event warmup:

Deep water start in a harbor, so you can't do anything but jog. Did that for just a little bit, moved around the arms a smidge and that was that.
Swim
  • 24m
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 36s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not much to comment on here. The bouys could have been aligned straighter, but the anchor's going to move on the way down. There is no exact science to it. It would also be nice if they were a different color. Red is kinda hard to see. Neon orange like they had in the harbor would have been great!
What would you do differently?:

If I could have seen the further bouys, I would have aimed for those, but I had to go one by one and ended up swimming zig-zag a little. Not too bad. The current (or my over-correcting) kept pushing me off-line. I was aiming for the bouy in front of me... really, I was!
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

I finally remembered to put the bike in a good gear! With the puddles and the cobblestones, I wasn't about to try anything fancy with mount or dismount.

Stop reviewing my gear. Have confidence in how I planned it and GO!
Bike
  • 1h 22m 25s
  • 24 miles
  • 17.47 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind was brutal. I thought I would have no legs left after my 3rd lap. It was very difficult going westbound. I also found out I was working harder because my brake was rubbing the whole time. Oops.

My bike time was slower than last year here with a north wind. Hmmm.

I had the bike looked at several times, but the cable had to be redone. Hopefully I will not have this problem again for a while.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Again, I wasn't going to try anything fancy with the cobblestone. I was going to rack my bike one way, but changed my mind. Stupid mistake on my part. Also, had a stone in my running shoe. Purposely stopped and got it out rather than deal with it. Good decision.

Rack it, baby.
Run
  • 48m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Downpour about halfway through. I felt sorry for those people still on the bike. Heart felt great, shoes did very well in the rain. They weren't sloppy or squishy. Maybe I could have gone harder?

Gone harder?
Post race
Warm down:

Usually there is a party afterwards celebrating the UCP families, but with the rain, they were telling everyone to get their stuff and go home. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

WIND. Brake.

Event comments:

Post-race activites were do to the weather. They are normally OUTSTANDING! I was kinda (ok, really) disappointed with the weather. I finished 1st female. My first time ever!!! And there was nothing. No results, no awards, no party... just an empty patio. Kind of a let down. Oh well. This was for UCP anyway. And I raised $1000 for it!!!!

Last updated: 2012-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:00 | 1500 meters | 01m 36s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
No white caps like last year. There were 1-2' rolling waves, but not too bad. Started out faster than normal. I'm liking it so far. I had clear water and no contact until I met up with the men's wave ahead of me. Still, it wasn't too bad.
Suit: Volt
Course: L shaped route out to the breakwall and back. Make sure you hit the last red bouy!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:25 | 24 miles | 17.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Performance: Average
I thought these numbers were ok considering the wind, hills, and weather.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 loops on the shoreway. West wind meant the uphill half was doubly brutal. Better marking and patching of potholes than last year.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:09 | 06.21 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Performance: Good
Heart rate was high, but I was feeling ok until the run up to Lakeside. Had a great kick behind the stadium. Felt great at the end.
Course: 2 loops on the shoreway and around the stadium/ rock hall
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-09 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed