General Discussion Race Reports! » Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #6 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #6 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marlborough, Connecticut
United States
Pig Iron Sports
86F / 30C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 07m 58s
Overall Rank = 55/231
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 3/25
Pre-race routine:

Got there early and signed up, got body marked and just chilled out. Set up transition without issues. A lady next to me forgot one of her bike shoe so she was scrambling and wigging out but I blocked it out since I could not help her.
Took some gatorade as it was hot and had a few sports beans before putting on my wetsuit and doing warmup in the water.
Event warmup:

Jogged back to truck to get my goggles which I left in the truck. Run x 5 minutes easy with a few pickups.
Swam x 3 minutes smooth, 2 minutes hard, 3 minutes smooth.
Swim
  • 10m 23s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. I did not wig out and stayed calm, trying to find feet and stay relaxed. It looked like the swim was going to be longer than the last time I did this and people were all agitated over it. Come on-600 vs 500??, really??
I stayed steady-to turnaround in 5:30/back in 5:00. The back half was more open water and I didn't try to draft as much, instead pushed a bit and stayed strong.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, I can handle it and it wasn't as hard as I feared.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

T1 was included in the swim time, but for me it was about 2 minutes. I can cut a minute out easily. My bike was way up and to the left. I had to run way over to get it. Was quick getting out of the wetsuit, but I wasn't organized and couldn't remember what I needed. Liquids were all set and I was pretty quick getting on the socks and bike shoes. Took time to rewipe off my sunglasses which got fogged since I put them on early. D(ont' do that next time) Unhooked bike and ran with it, passing 2 people in transition.

Will place my bike closer to the swim exit/bike out next time.
Bike
  • 31m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Jumped up and powered up the little hill towards where I blew my tire and settled slowly around the corner. Thanked the officer and I was off! Started to reel in as many women/faster swimmers as I could. It was a steady diet of passing people for the first several miles as we went up 2 miles of rolling/uphills. At mile 3, it starts to give back with rolling downhills and I hammered. Even split the loops but the course apeared to be a bit short, so I wasn't as fast as it looked. Only a handful of people passed me, maybe 5.

Nothing. I pushed and my legs aren't used to this fast stuff that is sustained. Need to train for sprints to do better in them
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Time is guesstimate based on my watch. Quick transition, despite having to go to the far side to rack my bike and find my stuff. Shoes off>on quickly. Decided to leave sunglasses/hat off and just go.

Nothing
Run
  • 23m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were tired and my breathing was about tempo+ pace, which is something I'm not used to. Got a little nervous as the pace was way faster than I was used to and I'm not fully recovered from the IM yet. Tried to go out strong and hold pace on the hills. Execution plan was to get to mile 2 and then push with whatever I had left. Third mile was definitely the fastest, by far. Course was not marked for bike or run so I don't know splits. Very tired but pushed to try to catch a big group of 6-8 runners about a quarter mile ahead of me as we were in the last mile. Took me almost all the course until I got them. Passed a few, but got on the woman in front of me and yelled at her to 'move it because I'm not passing you'. She picked it up a bit and finished just ahead of me. Easily could have passed her and if she was a man age 50-59, he would have seen my sprint.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Chillaxed and waited for times to be posted as I thought I had a shot at top 3 in my AG. After 1/2 hour, it was decided that they weren't going to run another print, so I left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still recovering from IMLP. No sprint tri training.

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race a lot. The sprint distance is fun and fast. You have to push yourself into tempo land for effort and my body wasn't ready for it, but I was thrilled with a podium spot (on paper, in a training series).

Finally avenged my crash/DNF a couple weeks ago with a solid finish in my first completed sprint tri.

Last updated: 2012-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:23 | 500 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 106/231
Performance: Good
actual time for swim+T1 was 12:23
Suit: Full Helix
Course: New course-Out and back around two yellow buoys on the sides and then to the orange turn around buoy in the middle of the lake-counterclockwise Mass start from waist deep in the lake. Women had ?3 minute head start and then the Men went. Very short run up to transition area-run with bike about 100M-mount and go
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:30 | 12 miles | 22.86 mile/hr
Overall: 37/231
Wind: None
Course: 2 loops clockwise around the lake. Traffic was stopped at lights/corners but cars were on the course which was a bit dicey at the turns. Mile 1 starts out with short uphill then medium downhill, then 2 rolling hills, se. Miles 2/3 are sustained uphills (mile 2 is worse). Mile 4 is all down and fast (got my speed up to almost 38mph), Mile 5 has short uphill and medium downhill (slightly longer than the first mile), Mile 6 (less than a ile)-flat. There are six 90degree turns in the course. Seven the second time around when you count the last turn into transition after the first loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:35 | 03.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 71/231
Actual time for T2+run was 24:05
Course: 1 loop, counterclockwise around the lake. Miles 1/2 have rolling, net uphills with the first mile being worse than the second. Both are followed by downhills where you can bound down with long strides and make up ground. Mile 3 is flat withone tiny hill near the end then finishes on a slight downhill making it a fast finishing course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-09 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #6
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #6 Rss Feed