General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Medial Meniscus Tear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-12 4:32 PM

New user

Subject: Medial Meniscus Tear

I've been to the doctor for inner knee pain that started after descending stairs and my knee locking and eventually "popping" followed by substantial pain and swelling.  I've had an x-ray which came back clear and now awaiting an MRI for definitive diagnosis.  If it really is a tear, I will most likely be referred to an ortho surgeon for repair.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience dealing with this and how was the recovery period?  How soon before you were running and biking again?

2012-08-12 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4359557

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: Medial Meniscus Tear
If it's a clip, and that's all they do and there's no other damage...you could be back at it in 4-6 weeks, give or take. Repair would be months (but it is def. preferable long term). Everyone is different, and every case is different, however (I've had surgeries where I was going again pretty quickly and others where it's been several months.)
2012-08-13 4:46 AM

Veteran
If the surgeon is going to do a partial menistectomy (take out the tear) or repair the tear, will depend on how long you will be out. Repairs will require non-weightbearing for 2-3 months and the menistectomy you can be walking after surgery. It all depends on where the tear is and how bad the tear is. Biking will be OK to day once the stitches are out, but you will need to gradually build into it. I was also able to walk in the pool after surgery. Therapy was for about 3 weeks. Since my knee had arthritic changes in addition to the tear, my surgeon doesn't recommend that I continue with running.
2012-08-19 12:09 PM

New user

Thanks guys.  I have since done a lot of research.  I am currently awaiting MRI results, which I will get on Tuesday.  For now, the pain is finally bearable... some days worse than others, however.  I know for sure I have no arthritic or degenerative changes based on my x-ray results.  I'm hoping that, combined with being young (29) will give me a better outcome at the end of all of this. I'm hoping it can be repaired rather than removed, as like you guys mentioned, repair seems to be more favourable for long-term outcomes.  I meet with my family dr on Tuesday to discuss the MRI results and if it is a tear, referral to ortho after that.  Not sure how long this whole ordeal will take in terms of referral and surgery, but really hoping that by next spring, I can ease back into things.  For now, I try and be thankful for the things that I can do.  Swimming seems to be ok, as long as I don't push off the wall with the affected leg and walking is ok on the days when I have minimal pain. 

I've been wearing a brace, but I don't know how helpful it is.  However, on the day I decided not to wear it, the next day, the pain was unbearable, so I assume it is helping.  Holy run-on sentence.

Again, thanks for the input!

2012-08-21 9:07 PM

New user

Good news!  No meniscus tear and all the structures of my knee are intact according to the MRI.  Dr figures it to be a "ligament strain of some sort".... and predicts I will be able to resume full activities (gradually of course) in the next 2-4 weeks).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Medial Meniscus Tear Rss Feed