General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dieting.and training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-13 7:51 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Dieting.and training
We all know the importance of diet and exercise but I've concluded after many years that dieting while training is damn near impossible for me. I'm not talking exercising a little while dieting, I'm talking about 3k yds in the pool, running 5 miles a day and biking 50 miles a week. What is your experience?

2012-08-13 8:04 AM
in reply to: #4360173

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Dieting.and training
I think you're struggling with a change over too short of a time period. Plan to lose about 1/2-1 lbs per week. You will need to balance your caloric intake with energy expenditure, so you need good control over both. Also, you need to have a good balance of carbs, proteins and good fats. It's very common that a diet cuts one of those 3, but you do need all of them to train and recover properly...
2012-08-13 8:11 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Rogillio - 2012-08-13 7:51 AM We all know the importance of diet and exercise but I've concluded after many years that dieting while training is damn near impossible for me. I'm not talking exercising a little while dieting, I'm talking about 3k yds in the pool, running 5 miles a day and biking 50 miles a week. What is your experience?

I'm finding the same thing Mike.  I starting eating better about 5 months ago.  Cutting out processed foods.  Trying to stick to a more natural diet.  During that time I was "training" but really not following a plan.  Just getting out and running some.  An occasional bike and did not even know where my swim gear was.  I lost 17 pounds in that time.  2 months ago, started a real training plan for Austin 70.3 and in those 2 months I have been playing with the same 2-3 pounds up and down.

Considering I was gaining at an alarming rate, I am not disappointed.  My clothes fit better and I feel better, but I agree that training and weightloss are not mutally inclusive.

Edited by dodgersmom 2012-08-13 8:12 AM
2012-08-13 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Rogillio - 2012-08-13 7:51 AM We all know the importance of diet and exercise but I've concluded after many years that dieting while training is damn near impossible for me. I'm not talking exercising a little while dieting, I'm talking about 3k yds in the pool, running 5 miles a day and biking 50 miles a week. What is your experience?

I have found that any weight I want to lose needs to be done during the winter. Once I get to Spring and start my HIM training plan I don't want to try and lose any weight. I want to be at my race weight and able to push hard during training and to eat to support that training. I have tried the weight loss during the season and it just doesn't work for me.

2012-08-13 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I found it easy to do both until I got serious about getting any kind of serious improvement from training.  I'm reading the book Racing Weight right now, and getting ready to implement some of it's philosophy.  Priority should be training IMO, not weight loss.  The book is along those lines as well.  I think if you clean up your diet with more natural foods and fuel workouts during the workouts as opposed to eating extra during the day, weight loss will just happen.
2012-08-13 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree with the experiences above- can lose weight when I'm not really training seriously.  I think diet and exercise go together but not diet (for weight loss) and training.

2012-08-13 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
I have not found this to be the case. I lose the weight while training much easier than when not. I've found running to be the easiest way to take it off. Swimming seems to be the hardest, probably because I'm hungriest after a swim. I've noticed that I'll eat more food due to lack of energy as my training ramps up. The lack of energy is often due to needing more sleep instead of needing more food though.
2012-08-13 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4360460

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

MonkeyClaw - 2012-08-13 10:10 AM I have not found this to be the case. I lose the weight while training much easier than when not. I've found running to be the easiest way to take it off. Swimming seems to be the hardest, probably because I'm hungriest after a swim. I've noticed that I'll eat more food due to lack of energy as my training ramps up. The lack of energy is often due to needing more sleep instead of needing more food though.

I always sit in the Sauna for 20min after a swim.  The theory is, that the cold water effect on your core induces the feeling of hunger.  For me, sitting in the sauna for 20 minutes seems to curb the hunger I feel after swimming.

2012-08-13 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I guess it depends on how you define dieting. 

If by dieting, you are referring to just cutting calories alone, then you have to consider the calories you take in as well as the calories you burn.  So let's say for an easy math example that you eat 2000 calories a day and had cut it down to 1700 to lose weight.  So that's a 300 cal/day deficit. 

But if you start a training program that is burning an additional 300 calories/day beyond what you have normally been burning, there is your deficit without having to cut what you consume, i.e., you stay at 2000 cals/day for fuel but are creating that deficit through your additional exercise.  Make sense?

You may benefit from an online program like sparkpeople.com that helps you track exactly how much you take in versus how much you burn in relation to your goal, which it sounds like at this point is to lose weight.

Going back to the original point about defining dieting, you could also just continue to improve your eating habits in relation to WHAT you're eating as opposed to just HOW MUCH.  Replacing things like soda, fast food, processed food, refined carbohydrates like white flour and sugar in favor of whole foods, more fruits and veggies and high fiber, unrefined carbs can make changes if you're not willing to do the calorie count thing which can definitely be monotonous.  These changes will have a positive impact on your health and eventually body weight whether you choose to count calories or not.

2012-08-13 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4360487

User image

Veteran
It is easier to lose weight when I'm in a serious training. Simply because  I have no much time to eat.
2012-08-13 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Yes, it's very hard and most people find it to be very difficult if they are serious about their performance....so if it's during the racing season I recommend people not diet...But that's unless losing weight is their primary goal and triathlon is in support of weight loss.

Here's the thing...when you diet you deplete your body of glycogen and you deprive your body of the fuel for recovery.  You end up feeling heavy, weak, lethargic.  But hey, it works.  I can lose weight while training.  I can eat pretty much nothing one day and only notice that I'm feeling like my legs are heavy the next day.  If I want to lose weight I can suck it up and suffer through sub-par training.  But training isn't racing and being 'sub-par' is not a problem.    Then, if I have a race coming up I can eat up for 2 days and be ready to go.

And just so you know, I'm not talking about a little exercise either.  I'm talking about 20 hrs per week.

Not recommending it.  Not saying you should do it.  Just saying it's possible.

2012-08-13 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4360660

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia

slonce5 - 2012-08-13 12:28 PM It is easier to lose weight when I'm in a serious training. Simply because  I have no much time to eat.

X1 on this.  Something about a Saturday morning ride/run brick that takes away 5 hours.  I miss at least one  normal breakfast and a snack because of this and what I fuel with on the workout in no way comes close to what I would have eaten at home or work.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dieting.and training Rss Feed