General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Muscle Soreness from Stretching a Muscle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-16 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Muscle Soreness from Stretching a Muscle
This past Sunday I was helping set up the foundation for some concrete and spent a decent amount of time bent over at the waist tying the rebar pieces together.  Monday morning I woke up to the back of my legs extremely tight and sore.  I figured that was going to happen so I gently stretched all day hoped that by Tuesday I would be somewhat back to normal.  Tuesday rolls around as does my schedule run and I can barely manage the 3 miles because of the tightness and soreness in the back of my legs.  I stretched it out again and took it easy.  Wednesday comes and it was a little bit looser but not so much.  I did my swim workout and soaked in the hottub then stretched.  Today I am suppose to do my long run and even though I have made some progress toward recovery, I am still sore and at about 70% of my normal flexibility.  I'm not sure what else I can do outside of keep stretching and doing all the other normal things of recovery.  Any advice?

2012-08-16 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4365916

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: Muscle Soreness from Stretching a Muscle

crea0029 - 2012-08-16 9:06 AM This past Sunday I was helping set up the foundation for some concrete and spent a decent amount of time bent over at the waist tying the rebar pieces together.  Monday morning I woke up to the back of my legs extremely tight and sore.  I figured that was going to happen so I gently stretched all day hoped that by Tuesday I would be somewhat back to normal.  Tuesday rolls around as does my schedule run and I can barely manage the 3 miles because of the tightness and soreness in the back of my legs.  I stretched it out again and took it easy.  Wednesday comes and it was a little bit looser but not so much.  I did my swim workout and soaked in the hottub then stretched.  Today I am suppose to do my long run and even though I have made some progress toward recovery, I am still sore and at about 70% of my normal flexibility.  I'm not sure what else I can do outside of keep stretching and doing all the other normal things of recovery.  Any advice?

It's certainly normal for the pain to be at it's peak 2 days afterwards.  Don't bother stretching in the meantime, unless it's the extremely mild type. 

in my experience, even though it hurts, running in this situation (slow pace, not intervals) is either good for you, or at least not bad for you.  So suck it up and run.  It's an opportunity to learn to run more efficiently.  Your hamstrings yell at you each time you recruit them, so focus on relaxation and minimizing the use of the hamstrings while you run. 

2012-08-16 9:43 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-16 9:59 AM

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Muscle Soreness from Stretching a Muscle
Thanks for the responses.... I have a shorter run I can switch around with the longer one today so I will get out there and just take it easy and stretch after... see if that helps.  Thanks for the responses!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Muscle Soreness from Stretching a Muscle Rss Feed