General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Marion Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lake Marion Triathlon - Short Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lakeville, Minnesota
United States
The South Metro STORM Swim Club
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 40m
Overall Rank = 11/324
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/34
Pre-race routine:

Dinner the night before included homemade oven fries, homemade chocolate pudding, and a beer (among other good pre-race food). We joked about how those three things were pretty ridiculous pre-race foods. Slept terribly tossing and turning, maybe sleeping about 2.5-3 hours in total. Got up, ate oatmeal, toast, banana, coffee and then drove to go pick up Jim (Jamesthe500). Arrived at the race about 6:00 and began to set up.
Event warmup:

Went out for an easy jog about 1/2 mile and a little bit of stretching.
Swim
  • 06m 31s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I can't believe how well this swim went considering I only swam maybe 6 times all summer. Got off to a good start and was out in front of my wave with a few others close by to my right. Was passed before the first turn and was able to draft for a while, but he then slowed and I passed him again. Was passed again about the time we were catching up to the earlier wave before the second turn. A bit of argy bargy as Paul Sherwin would say, but was able to do a little more drafting as we made our way in. Slowed a little bit, but kept up a good pace
What would you do differently?:

Train more. The swim went well, but I know I could be faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Felt good going into transition. Went down the wrong aisle, but as my bike was very near to the end, going around didn't waste more than a second or two. Sunglasses on while removing the wetsuit, but as I am still getting used to the aero helmet, that went on in it's own time. Only realized I forgot to put on socks as I was half way to the mount line. It was a pretty fast transition, all things considered.

Practice my transitions a little as I'd only practiced once in two years.
Bike
  • 47m 21s
  • 17.3 miles
  • 21.92 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a fast course. Maybe it was slightly downhill for the first few miles, but I was flying along without too much effort it seemed. I kept up a strong pace passing people regularly from the previous wave. Was passed two or three times by people in my wave, but I wasn't sure whether they were in my AG or not. Kept pushing pretty well the whole time. With maybe 1/3 of a mile left, I started pulling my feet out of my shoes, but my right shoe popped off my pedal, so I finished up the ride into T2 with only one shoe.

Nothing. More training would have made me faster, but not too much.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Good fast transition, but had to put my socks on since I forgot before. Seems like getting socks on was easier than it would have been in T1 'cause my feet were dry.

Nothing
Run
  • 24m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt better than I anticipated on the run. I was far from fast, but I was steady and was running instead of plodding. My pace was surprisingly steady the whole time. I slowed a little bit after maybe 2 miles or so, but not by much. I passed a couple people and was passed a couple of times. Hearing "1/2 mile to go" from a volunteer was heartening. I picked up the pace a little at that point. I picked up the pace even more with 1/4 and 1/10 mile left so I felt that my finish was strong. I don't think I could have pushed myself much more on the run than I did, so despite the slow time I was pretty happy.

This is what I need to focus on for training for next year. It is clearly my weakest leg and where I can make up the most time. Considering how little training I did this summer, I am satisfied with this run, though.
Post race
Warm down:

Sit. Breathe hard. Drink some water. Eventually stretch a little bit. Got a massage later on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited "training" this summer.

Event comments:

This was a very nice race that I'd be happy to do again. The distances were strange though with a short swim and long bike for a "sprint" course. There were lots of volunteers and great spectator support. Aside from funny distances, about the only thing I would like to see different would be one more water stop on the run. Thoroughly enjoyable race, though.

Last updated: 2012-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:31 | 440 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/34
Overall: 13/324
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: counter clockwise triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:21 | 17.3 miles | 21.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/34
Overall: 13/324
Wind: Little
Course: Counter-clockwise loop mostly on county roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:11 | 03.1 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/34
Overall: 62/324
Course: Paved path/neighborhood streets with rolling hills, kind of boring route
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-20 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: Lake Marion Triathlon - Short Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Marion Triathlon - Short Course Rss Feed