General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross race reports Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-10-01 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4434162

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Cyclocross race reports
Tough break, same thing happened to me in our first series race, rolled the front and jammed it in the brakes. Scary ridding laps knowing it may roll again at any time!

Hopkins Park for Race 2 in our series

Masters 30+ Open

Without series points, I was staged 5th row by Crossresults points. Not idle as the first half of the course was very tight & technical. I would lose ground in the technical sections and drill it into the single track wooded false flat each lap. The flyover was steep and keep smacking my front wheels on the stairs but the chain catcher was doing its job. Worked my way up through some of the field and with two to go was in range of a group of 4. Took two laps to latch onto the group and with one to go was ready to set them up. I knew I could beat them, IF I lead into the uphill barrier and through the off camber downhill. They were faster through this section, but they would have to follow my wheel and I could gap them on the paved section heading to the flyover and finish. Got around them after the double barriers and came into the single uphill barrier out of control and clipped with my front front and down I went....landed on my bar ends knocking the wind out of myself. Bike was okay, I could crawled back on and rode into the finish.

20th / 63 starters

Cat 3

Pretty consistent, my power drops about 8% in the second race. With a bruised chest (ribs) it was tough to breath, so I would wait for someone to pass me, try and hang onto wheels, get dropped, and wait for the next guy Repeat Repeat for 7 laps.

47th / 78

Thinking about dropping that second race when it gets colder, nearly two hours of cx is hard on the old body.

Good News: Picked up 10 series points and will be moved up at least one row in the start grid in the 30+. I'm hoping I can pick up the next faster group and hang with them vs. chasing for 45 mins.

2012-10-01 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4381658

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Well, we need to cheer this group up...  Or work on our tire gluing process?  That state of "Zen" you get when gluing has more to do with the mastic than the patience required to do it correctly!!  

First WIN of the Season!!!

EAST TROY TWILIGHT CROSS 

Twilight cross, and I need to get some points tonight. Got stuck in traffic going out so I was 20 minutes later than I wanted to be on the course, but already had the numbers pinned on so I just double checked the tire pressure and hit the course for a preview. 

Decent course, some power areas and some areas for recovery. A couple of technical sections that took a few laps to really figure out a line. Got them all figured out except the last turn out of the spiral. Even after probably 20 laps on the course I never got a line I liked outta that corner. 

Race call ups by points, so I was in the front row. I knew going in that I need to watch Paul and Timm. I got a good start into second place behind Paul and just start working on "Steady Power" around the course. It is just Paul and I and we are already opening up a gap, where is Timm? We switched the lead position a couple of times and continued to open up the gap through the slower 35+ riders until about 2 laps to go. Timm is nowhere to be seen in the switchbacks. That is good. 

Now I realize I gotta think after a couple of weeks ago and play my cards right. Paul and I are pacing one 35+ guy (Lorenzo) that finally realizes that we are not in his group, so he sits up. I let Paul take the jump and he bites. I can tell he is not happy that is in front of me, and not fully on the gas trying to save something but I just ride his wheel right to the run up, which was about a 1/4 lap from the finish. I know I am a better runner than him and take the inside line and get him on the hill by a good 10 yards. I gotta admit, I never looked back to see where he finished, just buried my head and drove with everything I had...... 192 bpm! It felt like that at the line. Got Paul by about 25 yards at the end and picked up some serious points on both Paul & Timm on the Cup race. 

Great race, I felt good with my power. The Thurs night tempo ride is going to become a regular thing after how good I felt. However, happy most of all with my Tactics. I know I got the legs to beat these guys, if I don't beat myself first with my own head!!

2nd race.... I always seem to internally ask myself "why" at about the 2 laps to go sign! 

EAST TROY OPEN RACE 

Went into this race for training purposes. Big field, but started in the 2nd row based on points. Got a decent start and really worked on that "Steady Power" thing. I don't think I got passed after the 1st lap, and I know I got a couple of youngin's towards the end of the race. 

Ended up 15th, and completely spent from the night. 

Got to spend the rest of the night under the lights drinking a few adult beverages and getting some good heckling in on the run up. 

Best heckle heard on the night, "You even sound tired!!" Oh, I am stealing that one. 

2012-10-01 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I did my first cyclocross race yesterday. I actually watched a race live for the first time on Saturday and then did the race on Sunday. I don't have a cyclocross bike unfortunately, so I stuck some cross tires on my touring bike. The touring bike isn't ideal. It has downtube shifters (not a big deal) and is really heavy (seemed like a pretty bike deal when I tried to carry it up some stairs and over barriers). Regardless I had a lot of fun. I raced Open women, so I raced against some women who were pro (Mical Dyck) and very good semi-pro. Only 15 women or so in the race. I lined myself up at the back. Ended up battling with 4 other women the entire race. I'd catch them or pass them on every straight away, we'd be about the same in all of the corners/twisty sections and they'd all pass me on the barriers. Having never dismounted or mounted my bike in a race before, I didn't know how to do that at all. Got lots of heckling there. Then had to catch back up to the ladies I was battling with.

A wide corner came and I tried to maintain a lot of speed as there were 2 women behind me and 2 really close just ahead of me and I wanted to pass them. Completely slid out in the corner. Took a few seconds to get my foot unclipped and out from underneath me. My chain had came off. It seemed like a wasted minutes trying to put my chain back on. That's a skill when your HR is high, I tell you. Everyone passed me. Spent the last 1/3 of the race riding at the back and trying to catch back up. Caught 1 other women, so I came 2nd last. 

Very fun though.

Edited by jeng 2012-10-01 11:49 AM
2012-10-01 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4435074

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
jeng - 2012-10-01 12:44 PM

I did my first cyclocross race yesterday. I actually watched a race live for the first time on Saturday and then did the race on Sunday. I don't have a cyclocross bike unfortunately, so I stuck some cross tires on my touring bike. The touring bike isn't ideal. It has downtube shifters (not a big deal) and is really heavy (seemed like a pretty bike deal when I tried to carry it up some stairs and over barriers). Regardless I had a lot of fun. I raced Open women, so I raced against some women who were pro (Mical Dyck) and very good semi-pro. Only 15 women or so in the race. I lined myself up at the back. Ended up battling with 4 other women the entire race. I'd catch them or pass them on every straight away, we'd be about the same in all of the corners/twisty sections and they'd all pass me on the barriers. Having never dismounted or mounted my bike in a race before, I didn't know how to do that at all. Got lots of heckling there. Then had to catch back up to the ladies I was battling with.

A wide corner came and I tried to maintain a lot of speed as there were 2 women behind me and 2 really close just ahead of me and I wanted to pass them. Completely slid out in the corner. Took a few seconds to get my foot unclipped and out from underneath me. My chain had came off. It seemed like a wasted minutes trying to put my chain back on. That's a skill when your HR is high, I tell you. Everyone passed me. Spent the last 1/3 of the race riding at the back and trying to catch back up. Caught 1 other women, so I came 2nd last. 

Very fun though.

Glad to see you got out there.  You know you can do the 4 race even if you're a 1 on the road right?

2012-10-01 11:56 AM
in reply to: #4435071

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2012-10-01 12:42 PM

Well, we need to cheer this group up...  Or work on our tire gluing process?  That state of "Zen" you get when gluing has more to do with the mastic than the patience required to do it correctly!!  

First WIN of the Season!!!

EAST TROY TWILIGHT CROSS 

Twilight cross, and I need to get some points tonight. Got stuck in traffic going out so I was 20 minutes later than I wanted to be on the course, but already had the numbers pinned on so I just double checked the tire pressure and hit the course for a preview. 

Decent course, some power areas and some areas for recovery. A couple of technical sections that took a few laps to really figure out a line. Got them all figured out except the last turn out of the spiral. Even after probably 20 laps on the course I never got a line I liked outta that corner. 

Race call ups by points, so I was in the front row. I knew going in that I need to watch Paul and Timm. I got a good start into second place behind Paul and just start working on "Steady Power" around the course. It is just Paul and I and we are already opening up a gap, where is Timm? We switched the lead position a couple of times and continued to open up the gap through the slower 35+ riders until about 2 laps to go. Timm is nowhere to be seen in the switchbacks. That is good. 

Now I realize I gotta think after a couple of weeks ago and play my cards right. Paul and I are pacing one 35+ guy (Lorenzo) that finally realizes that we are not in his group, so he sits up. I let Paul take the jump and he bites. I can tell he is not happy that is in front of me, and not fully on the gas trying to save something but I just ride his wheel right to the run up, which was about a 1/4 lap from the finish. I know I am a better runner than him and take the inside line and get him on the hill by a good 10 yards. I gotta admit, I never looked back to see where he finished, just buried my head and drove with everything I had...... 192 bpm! It felt like that at the line. Got Paul by about 25 yards at the end and picked up some serious points on both Paul & Timm on the Cup race. 

Great race, I felt good with my power. The Thurs night tempo ride is going to become a regular thing after how good I felt. However, happy most of all with my Tactics. I know I got the legs to beat these guys, if I don't beat myself first with my own head!!

2nd race.... I always seem to internally ask myself "why" at about the 2 laps to go sign! 

EAST TROY OPEN RACE 

Went into this race for training purposes. Big field, but started in the 2nd row based on points. Got a decent start and really worked on that "Steady Power" thing. I don't think I got passed after the 1st lap, and I know I got a couple of youngin's towards the end of the race. 

Ended up 15th, and completely spent from the night. 

Got to spend the rest of the night under the lights drinking a few adult beverages and getting some good heckling in on the run up. 

Best heckle heard on the night, "You even sound tired!!" Oh, I am stealing that one. 

Great job Dave, you have been crushing it this year.

2012-10-01 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4435102

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
dalessit - 2012-10-01 9:55 AM

Very fun though.

Glad to see you got out there.  You know you can do the 4 race even if you're a 1 on the road right?

Unfortunately, we only have 3 categories for women. Open women, citizen women (unlicensed) and masters women.

If I come to the US to race (so many cool races in Portland area), I'll race 4 for sure.

2012-10-01 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
So can anyone link some good YouTube videos to learn some CX skills. I'm need them, particularly for dismounting and mounting.
2012-10-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4435316

User image

over a barrier
jeng - 2012-10-01 1:36 PM

So can anyone link some good YouTube videos to learn some CX skills. I'm need them, particularly for dismounting and mounting.

The user Kwestwood on youtube has a 4 or 5 part series on skills.
2012-10-01 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4435350

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

running2far - 2012-10-01 11:49 AM
jeng - 2012-10-01 1:36 PM So can anyone link some good YouTube videos to learn some CX skills. I'm need them, particularly for dismounting and mounting.

Thank you!

2012-10-02 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4435313

User image

Champion
jeng - 2012-10-01 2:35 PM
dalessit - 2012-10-01 9:55 AM

Very fun though.

Unfortunately, we only have 3 categories for women. Open women, citizen women (unlicensed) and masters women.

If I come to the US to race (so many cool races in Portland area), I'll race 4 for sure.

That would make it tough.

2012-10-02 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4435350

User image

Champion

running2far - 2012-10-01 2:49 PM
jeng - 2012-10-01 1:36 PM So can anyone link some good YouTube videos to learn some CX skills. I'm need them, particularly for dismounting and mounting.

Just saw the Westwood ones, those are pretty good.

2012-10-08 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Pretty quiet in here.......  Did nobody toe the line this weekend?  

Here is my weekend summary from my logs.....

Saturday AM - CROSS THE DOMES 
A true roadie's course but nice layout. Started in the Front row with call ups and followed Timm out of the hole shot. They gave us a full minute between groups because we have been catching the 35+ guys. 

Followed Timm for about a 1/2 a lap when he stumbled going into a corner and went off course.  (That barrier tape is just a suggestion anyway!) So I am up front alone. Rode for a while and then decided to see what I could do to this group. Just hammered the 2nd lap with everything I had. Opened up almost a 1/4 of a lap lead on a 2+ mile course. 3rd and final lap was all about catching rabbits from the 35+ race in front of me and staying steady. Rolled home easily in 1st. 

One down..... One to go! 

Sun- RIVER HILLS CX 
Lined up in the front due to call ups and took the inside. Looking to grab either Timm or PJ's wheel. $25 Prime on the first lap for first person up the hill so I know some of the boys are going to be hammering for the cash. Gun goes off and I find PJ's wheel and just hold it. Let him take the prime and just follow him. Timm is nowhere to be found and I got Jed on my wheel and can hear him working so I just sit comfortably in 2nd chair and keep pushing PJ. 

On the 2nd lap PJ starts complaining about somebody else pulling so I know he is hurting. He finally sits up a little in the flats. Decision time. I don't want to give up the lead that our break has so I take the lead and decide to see if Jed can hold my wheel. Working hard, but not killing it and start to run into some 35+ traffic. Use it to my advantage and start to pick it up to break Jed coming through the start/finish on the 3rd lap. Found a 35+ guys wheel and followed him home with some steady power. 

Another 1st. Great course. Great weekend. Probably time to Cat up????

2012-10-08 12:28 PM

User image

over a barrier
Just raced the Masters 30+ Open this week. Last weeks crash left with bruised ribs when I landed on my bar ends. Not a very fun experience. The course featured a single uphill barrier, double barrier, rooted single track hill climb, sweeping fast decent, and three short bunny hop barriers.

Currently ranked 30th in the series, the first 10-15 are Cat 1 and 2s. A few people ranked ahead of me decided not to race. I was staged 18th, 3rd row. During pre ride, I didn't think I'd be able to bunny hop with the ribs still hurting. Gun goes off, really bad start even for me...spend the first half of the lap trying to get back on terms with my group. Make it up by the bunny hops and I decided to run them...got gapped in a major way (About 10 yards between each barrier). This ticked me off, closed the gap on another climb and was sitting in nicely. Bunny hops on the second lap approach and I decided to go for it and just test it out. MAJOR stabbing pain on the first barrier and I unclipped and run the next two. Felt like someone stabbed me in the chest. I would run them and just take my lumps to finish out the race. I finished up 26th, still earning a couple of points, barely.

Decide to DNS the Cat 3, too much pain pulling on the bars/remout/sprint etc. Need to focus on healing.

Move up in the standings to 27th. Next weekend is a double race weekend and I think most guys will double up. My goal is Top 5 of the Cat 3's in the 30+ standings. I don't think I can even touch the 1&2's...they race a different level. I can't drive my bike with them or hold the power.
2012-10-08 12:38 PM

User image

Champion

Hyattsville CX, race #3 in MABRA Super 8 series M 3/4 35+

cold rainy day, it was 80 on Saturday and high of 50 on Sunday.

I think I slept a bit on the reg so I was 52nd out of a field of 100+

Put the original Michelin Mud clinchers on today for this race and glad I did, they hold the wet grass like a dream and allowed me to power through the muddy sections.  Best race of the season so far for me, most of the course was pretty flat except for a wooded section that had a run/ride gravel covered hill with railroad ties every 10 feet or so then a telephone pole to ride over and down through a steep rutty/rooted section, lots of guys lost it through that section, last lap I endo'd into a hay bale, actually only lost one spot to that.  Was able to hold off a small group on the last lap and finished 32nd out of 100+ that started.  It's tough in a field that big to start in the middle, you give up so much time on the first lap.

2012-10-08 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4445214

User image

over a barrier
badgerintx - 2012-10-08 12:22 PM

Pretty quiet in here.......  Did nobody toe the line this weekend?  

Here is my weekend summary from my logs.....

Saturday AM - CROSS THE DOMES 
A true roadie's course but nice layout. Started in the Front row with call ups and followed Timm out of the hole shot. They gave us a full minute between groups because we have been catching the 35+ guys. 

Followed Timm for about a 1/2 a lap when he stumbled going into a corner and went off course.  (That barrier tape is just a suggestion anyway!) So I am up front alone. Rode for a while and then decided to see what I could do to this group. Just hammered the 2nd lap with everything I had. Opened up almost a 1/4 of a lap lead on a 2+ mile course. 3rd and final lap was all about catching rabbits from the 35+ race in front of me and staying steady. Rolled home easily in 1st. 

One down..... One to go! 

Sun- RIVER HILLS CX 
Lined up in the front due to call ups and took the inside. Looking to grab either Timm or PJ's wheel. $25 Prime on the first lap for first person up the hill so I know some of the boys are going to be hammering for the cash. Gun goes off and I find PJ's wheel and just hold it. Let him take the prime and just follow him. Timm is nowhere to be found and I got Jed on my wheel and can hear him working so I just sit comfortably in 2nd chair and keep pushing PJ. 

On the 2nd lap PJ starts complaining about somebody else pulling so I know he is hurting. He finally sits up a little in the flats. Decision time. I don't want to give up the lead that our break has so I take the lead and decide to see if Jed can hold my wheel. Working hard, but not killing it and start to run into some 35+ traffic. Use it to my advantage and start to pick it up to break Jed coming through the start/finish on the 3rd lap. Found a 35+ guys wheel and followed him home with some steady power. 

Another 1st. Great course. Great weekend. Probably time to Cat up????

Yes Cat up you sandbagger
2012-10-08 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4445417

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

running2far - 2012-10-08 2:23 PM Yes Cat up you sandbagger

Been waiting for this from somebody.  I thought Tony would be the winner!  Surprised

2012-10-09 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4445442

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2012-10-08 3:39 PM

Been waiting for this from somebody.  I thought Tony would be the winner!  Surprised

We have this discussion every year with the series we run here.

If you give awards for year end performance what motivation is there to cat up during the season?  Our series winners get free entries to all series races the following year and a cool jersey to wear.  Also when they're leading they get front row.

It's tough, lol wish I had the experience of crushing fields and had to debate on cat'ing up or not.

My suggestion is to race 3/4 now since you have such a big lead, and only race 4 unless you have someone catching up.

2012-10-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4446228

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
dalessit - 2012-10-09 8:02 AM
badgerintx - 2012-10-08 3:39 PM

We have this discussion every year with the series we run here.

If you give awards for year end performance what motivation is there to cat up during the season?  Our series winners get free entries to all series races the following year and a cool jersey to wear.  Also when they're leading they get front row.

It's tough, lol wish I had the experience of crushing fields and had to debate on cat'ing up or not.

My suggestion is to race 3/4 now since you have such a big lead, and only race 4 unless you have someone catching up.  

Thanks for the input, discussing this here and with others has helped with the decision.  Our series also has call ups for each race based on overall points, a jersey for the winner for the following year (scored as the best 10 of 14 races), a nice trophy, some cash, and bragging rights for a year.  Plus a different set of prizes for the State Championship race.  Unfortunately, we don't have a 3/4 race (we race as Masters 1/2/3) or a Masters 45+ 1/2/3/4 race like some of the big races (USGP, Jingle CX, etc.) so if I Cat up, I am done.

After sleeping on it, I am not going to Cat up before the end of the year unless the officials force it.  Here is my self reasoning, so let the heckling begin:  

• I have worked my tail off all off and road season looking to peak for CX season.  
  • This is my first full season racing CX (only did 5 races last year) and my first full season on a CX bike
  • If the others in this Category didn't see me coming and can't hold my wheel, that is really not my problem.  
  • It is good for my team in the weekly points race since they only take the points from the top 3 racers each week. 
  • As long as I got the 35+ guys in front of me to chase, I can still work hard in an attempt to continue to improve. 
  • Realistically, this is probably my only chance for a "Cup" for several years due to the Masters 1/2/3 race set up we have in our series.  

So, officially I guess I am truly now a "Sandbagger" and I hope to crush more Soul's this weekend!

2012-10-09 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4446427

User image

Champion

That's odd they don't have a 3/4 race, those are our two biggest fields each week, usually maxing out at 125, we have masters 3/4 35+, 45+ and a straight 3/4 race.

And it's not like you're a 2 or 3 on the road, those are the typical sandbaggers, 2/3 on the road and a 4 in CX.

2012-10-09 3:12 PM

User image

over a barrier
I've never seen a 3/4 either. We have Masters Open (Cat 1-4), Cat 4a and 4b (both sell out) straight Cat 3 race, and a Cat 123 race.
2012-10-09 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4446956

User image

Champion

Here's the races we do here in MABRA land, this is from the race my team is running.

8:15 AM Men Cat 4 (Field Limit 125) Presented by VeloStickers
Men Cat 4 Beginner
minutes
8:15 AM
$27
Prizes/3

9:00 AM Race (Combined Field Limit of 125)
Women Cat 4 Beginner
minutes
9:00 AM
$27
Prizes/3
Junior Girls 15-18
minutes
9:01 AM
$10
Medals/5
Junior Boys 10-14
minutes
$10
Medals/5
Junior Girls 10-14
minutes
$10
Medals/5

10:00 AM Masters 35+/45+ Cat 3,4 (Field Limit 125) Presented by Wicked Wash
Masters 35+/45+ Cat 3,4
minutes
10:00 AM
$27
Prizes/5

10:00 AM Li'l Belgians I Presented by Bike Arlington
Lil' Belgians

10:00 AM
$0

11:00 AM Masters 45+ Cat 1,2,3 and SingleSpeed Open (Combined Field Limit 125) Presented by Liberty Tavern
Masters 45+ Cat 1,2,3
minutes
11:00 AM
$27
Prizes/5
SingleSpeed Open
minutes
11:01 AM
$27
Prizes/5
Masters 55+ Cat 1,2,3
minutes
11:02 AM
$27
Prizes/3

12:00 PM Race (Combined Field Limit 125) Presented by Kelly Acres Speed Shop and Off-Road Cycling Studio
Women Cat 1,2,3
minutes
12:00 PM
$27
$755/7
Women Cat 3,4
minutes
12:02 PM
$27
Prizes/5
Juniors 15-18 Open
minutes
12:01 PM
$10
Medals/5

12:00 PM L'il Belgians II Presented by Bike Arlington
Lil' Belgians Kids

12:00 PM
$0
Medals/ALL

1:00 PM Masters 35+ Cat 1,2,3 (Field Limit 125) Presented by Panache Cyclewear Co.
Masters 35+ Cat 1,2,3
minutes
1:00 PM
$27
Prizes/5

2:00 PM Men's Cat 3,4 (Field Limit 125) Presented by SRAM
Men Cat 3,4
minutes
2:00 PM
$27
Prizes/7

3:00 PM Men Cat 1,2,3 (Field Limit 125) Presented by Sonoma
Men Cat 1,2,3
minutes
3:00 PM
$27
$960/12

2012-10-14 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Just did the local "School of Hard Knox" cyclocross race!!

B group, since I suck at it, but managed 10/24 

I was up to about 6th or 7th but the bike I was using had the pedals a bit more loose than I like so I accidently popped out a couple times, and on one of them managed to lose the 3 places I'd just gained.

2nd last lap hopping a barricade I dropped from 9th to 10th after smashing my ankle with my pedal somehow.... OOPS.  Only lost on place though, gritted my teeth and hammered the finish to make sure the 2 others right on my tail couldn't pass me :p

Did better than expected considering how new to CX I am and how little I've been able to make it out to this year.

Part of a 5 race series. !st race was last week and I missed, but I will be at the next 2, next 2 sundays in a row

2012-10-15 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Interesting weekend for me.  First ever real "Mud" race on Sunday.  Saturday got canceled because the city was rightfully concerned about us tearing up the park.  Sunday we were in Madison and they must of had at least 3 inches of rain during the weekend and we ended up racing in it.  The course was prairie mud trails that were 2-3" deep by the time we got on them, except for the asphalt start/finish stretch.  It was so greasy that on most of the tight corners it was faster to hop off and run them than ride them and there wasn't a hill on the course you even try to ride. 

I ended up 6th and the 2 guys I am competing against closely took 1st and 2nd.  My inexperience really hurt me today.  I tried to ride the same race that you would on a dry course and blew myself up towards the end of the 2nd lap.  After hitting that wall I just had no power.  Also, it was impossible not to spin out if you tried standing, no matter how far back you tried to keep your weight.  It was like riding in concrete and if you didn't save something you fell apart.  It was however, a great experience builder for future races.  All the guys that ended in the front came from the back towards the end of the race.  

I actually took the hose to my shoes & kit along with my bike.  I think the back of my bibs had a good solid inch of mud on them.  It was a lot of fun, but shocking as to how difficult it was.      

(rsz_cx_drivetrain.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
rsz_cx_drivetrain.jpg (55KB - 17 downloads)
2012-10-15 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4453762

User image

Champion
badgerintx - 2012-10-15 9:13 AM

Interesting weekend for me.  First ever real "Mud" race on Sunday.  Saturday got canceled because the city was rightfully concerned about us tearing up the park.  Sunday we were in Madison and they must of had at least 3 inches of rain during the weekend and we ended up racing in it.  The course was prairie mud trails that were 2-3" deep by the time we got on them, except for the asphalt start/finish stretch.  It was so greasy that on most of the tight corners it was faster to hop off and run them than ride them and there wasn't a hill on the course you even try to ride. 

I ended up 6th and the 2 guys I am competing against closely took 1st and 2nd.  My inexperience really hurt me today.  I tried to ride the same race that you would on a dry course and blew myself up towards the end of the 2nd lap.  After hitting that wall I just had no power.  Also, it was impossible not to spin out if you tried standing, no matter how far back you tried to keep your weight.  It was like riding in concrete and if you didn't save something you fell apart.  It was however, a great experience builder for future races.  All the guys that ended in the front came from the back towards the end of the race.  

I actually took the hose to my shoes & kit along with my bike.  I think the back of my bibs had a good solid inch of mud on them.  It was a lot of fun, but shocking as to how difficult it was.      

Very nice, mud can definitely be an equalizer.

2012-10-15 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJDR3AzLh3Q&feature=share

GoPro from one of my teammates race.  Really shows the course conditions.  This is the same location as Nationals this year, so pay extra attention to the rail-road tie built run-ups at @ 4:15 into the lap.  If you are coming to Nats, you will see these steps again.   

Edited by badgerintx 2012-10-15 12:36 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross race reports Rss Feed  

of 4