United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 47m 47s
Overall Rank = 1931/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 305/464
Pre-race routine:

First, thank you to anyone who has ever written a race report for any Ironman. They were instrumental in giving me the confidence that I just may be able to do this thing. And on to the report.

Woke up around 3:30, actually slept for about 4 hours which is a minor miracle before any race. Had two packets of instant oatmeal, a Cliff bar and a bottle of Gatorade. Walked from the Brown hotel down to transition, put air back in the tires and loaded my water bottles. Then jumped in the line headed down to the swim start. Found a parking spot across from the rowing center, sat and waited for the next hour and a half. Had a GU as the pros took off.

Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 1h 12m 33s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal was to swim strong but not fast. Once the cannon went off it only took me 7 minutes to get from my spot down to the dock. That made me really happy because I knew I could create a larger cushon for the upcoming bike which was going to be slow. Hit the water and just began swimming easy, I tried to focus on stroke, glide, repeat. I took a breath every 4th stroke and sighted every 4th breath. Having the shore and people along side helped with that a lot. There was a little congestion heading upstream but was easy to get around. Made the turn, looked over and swimming next to me was the girl who had been standing in front of me in line, weird how that works. After the turn I started to actually feel warmed up and could stretch out my stroke some more. I was really focusing on gliding before starting my catch/pull and that felt good. Stayed to the left closer to the kayaks which seemed to be out of the main travel lane for everyone. Never really had much contact other than a brush or a touch here and there. Hit the 1st bridge around 1 hour and my shoulders were starting to feel a little raw. Kept chugging along and pretty soon I was being helped up the stairs and into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 09m 26s
Comments:

Walked most of the way to the transition area. Grabbed my bag and took my time making sure my mental check list was complete. Had some water and a GU. Felt pretty good and confident leaving the tent, got some sunscreen before getting my bike, and headed out.

Nothing
Bike
  • 7h 54m 15s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.17 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal here was to ride comfortable and not over do it. Any time under 8 hours would be ok for me. The first 10 miles out of town were good to get into a rythm and also cheat a little speed without tiring myself out. Once I hit 42 and the hills I just spun easy going up and gave about 75% going back down. Now all of the people I had passed in the swim were passing me and then some. There was a constant stream passing me for the next 4 hours but, I was here for me and not them so I stuck to my plan. Made it to the out and back about 1/2 hour ahead of my goal so I felt good. Quite an impressive sight to see those guys (and gals) flying down that hill at those speeds and in total control. Definately something for me to strive for in the future.

Got to the aid station at the turn around and had to pee. Here's where my one big complaint of the day started. I have a mouse's bladder and had to pee at every aid station from then on out. With 7 stops and 5 min+ per stop, I figure I could have chopped 20-30 minutes off my time just from that. The volunteers were great though, they asked what I wanted refilled before going in and when I came out, my bike was restocked. Totally cool!!

Made it to LaGrange and had to laugh at the guy with the "smile if you peed on your bike". I didn't but there was no convincing him. I really enjoyed the stretches of Ballard School, Old Sligo and L'espirit. Even though some of the hills were tough it was a nice section of the course. Someone said the course was really boring but seriously, what do you expect? It's beautiful countryside on a beautiful day and you're riding in an Ironman, what could make it better?

Got to 42 and had an official yelling out that there were tacks on the road. Thankfully I think my slowness put me in the area after most of the damage was done. I saw one in the road but avoided it. Saw several riders still on the side changing their flats. I swear I hate some people some times. Hey jerkface tack thrower, it's one day, let the race happen, get over yourself and deal with it.

Turned back towards LaGrange and was starting the 2nd loop still ahead of my goal. I was sticking to my nutrition (1 GU every 1/2 hour, 1 Perform and water between aid stations) and was feeling fine. Stopped at special needs for some more lube and yes, another pee break.

I was still comfortably spinning after LaGrange but noticed that I was actually passing a person here and there. It looked like the course was taking its toll on a few people. I felt bad but also felt good in that I had stuck to my plan and it was working.

Turned back onto 42 for the home stretch and actually picked it up a little. At 90mile mark my quads started telling me that may not be a good idea so I dialed it back to just spinning comfortable.

Pretty soon I was in the last 10 mile flat stretch to transition. This went by quick but not quick enough. My butt was SORE!!! I felt like I was shifting every 30 seconds, thankfully I lasted this long.

Hit the last few turns and into transition. Finally!!!

Get comfortable with peeing on my bike. Otherwise nothing. I conserved my energy well and hit my nutrition spot on.
Transition 2
  • 11m 59s
Comments:

Not in any hurry, walked to the changing tent and again made sure my mental check list was complete before heading out. Got some more suntan lotion and walked to the run start.

Nothing
Run
  • 6h 19m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run each mile/walk each aid station and be under 12min/mile. I felt pretty good and was able to reach this goal for about 8 miles. Then the pace got slower and the walk breaks longer. I was still able to maintain a slow trot for the next 10 miles but blisters were forming on my feet and a previously strained glute was making its presence known.

Then one of the cooler things of the day happened. I was taking an extended walk break around mile 18 and struck up a conversation with another runner. As it happened he's from my hometown and lives about 4 miles from me. Out of all the athletes there, what are the odds of that???
We both did some math and figured we were going to be under the cutoff whether we walked or ran which was good. I peeled off for a stop on my porta-potty tour and he kept going. I passed him just short of 20 mark and that's the last I saw of him. Stupid me didn't get his name or number but I'm pretty sure he finished.

Ran up to 22 and walked the next two. Pretty surreal to be walking in the dark with just a scattering of people also walking in both directions when just a few hours before the streets were packed with runners and walkers. The closer to the finish I got, I still saw people where were back around the 16-17 markers. I felt pretty bad because a lot of them weren't going to make the cutoff.

Got to 25 along with two other guys and we all just kind of started trotting along. We yo-yo'd back and forth for a while until we made the turn to the finish line.

Wow!! Talk about a finish line! Very cool. Went through and had a catcher catch me. I still felt pretty good and had no issues with walking and making it out of the finish area.

Not sure what I would do different. I think being tired sapped my running form which caused my blisters and glute to act up.
Post race
Warm down:

Had half a piece of pizza and half a chocolate milk, I can never eat much after a big race like that. Wish it was the other way around, I love chocolate milk and Little Ceaser's.

Walked down and grabbed by bike and was unknowingly handed the wrong gear bags by a volunteer. I should've checked but the 2nd volunteer checked my bags and bike and let me out of transition. Oops!!!

Was walking back up 3rd street and saw a walker getting close to finishing. I felt bad because it was 12:30 and he was not going to get a medal. I told him good job and to keep going and he told me congratulations. I give him credit for going the distance because it has to be tough when you have the realization that it is impossible to finish before midnight, and yet you keep going.

Got back to my room and realized the bag mix up, crap!! Another long walk on blisters to transition, oh well. Showered and went to bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having to pee all the time. Was not overhydrated but can't hold fluids like I used to. Need to be a stronger biker and stronger runner, hopefully will come with time and effort.

Event comments:

Absoutely loved this event. So glad I picked it for my first one. The organization and volunteers were top notch. With the amount of volunteers available, I would suggest placing them along the course to watch for the losers that want to disrupt the bike segment. I would recommend this event and definately consider doing it again the future. Congrats to all who finished.

Last updated: 2011-10-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:33 | 4156 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 58/464
Overall: 392/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:54:15 | 112 miles | 14.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 325/464
Overall: 2021/
Performance:
Avg. heart rate 133
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 11:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:19:34 | 26.2 miles | 14m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 309/464
Overall: 1931/
Performance:
Avg. HR 140
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-31 11:16 AM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2012-08-31 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4389817

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Great report Ironman!  Hope someday I can do this- I would be pushing the clock for sure- thanks for writing about your constant awareness of the cutoff time!
2012-08-31 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4389817

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

Some say that his tears are adhesive, and that if he caught fire he would burn for 1000 days. All we know is he’s called an Ironman!

Congrats!

(/top gear reference)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed