General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Travis OWS Groups Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-03 8:15 PM

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: Lake Travis OWS Groups
Any groups on the Lake?

Anyone want to start one with me? I move out next week. We could do Sat or Sun AM or an evening. I swam back and forth across at Lakeway Marina last time I was in town and it was great.

I plan to do this in wetsuits in the winter.

2012-09-03 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4393594

User image

Subject: RE: Lake Travis OWS Groups
I'm in. Could also use company on long runs/rides. I work in Lakeway.
2012-09-04 12:38 AM

Is there any water left to swim in?  Wink

2012-09-04 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4393757

User image

asianflava - 2012-09-04 1:38 AM

Is there any water left to swim in?  Wink

There actually is quite a bit.  I think it's 600+ feet deep this year.  But I get the joke.

2012-09-04 5:52 PM

User image

Ok. Im going to put a mark on the calendar for a swim at 9 am on Saturday 15 Sept leaving from Lakeway Marina (bottom of the ramp). Swim ~1 mile.

We'll go kinda slow until we get a few more people.
2012-09-06 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Gamesbolt I swim in Barton Springs and Deep Eddy, both great venues during the week.  Near my work.  I will try to make a Saturday swim.  I am planning on doing a bike and run brick on Sat mornings.  I had a great race going at Austin Tri Rock until the run, then I just ran out of gas.

On Tuesday and Thursday are good bike rides in Lake Travis.  Tuesday at National Bank on 620, and Thursday at Hamilton Pool Road and Route 12 Bert and Ernies.  Wheels down at 600.  This has really helped my bike time.

I am doing the Oly at Kerrville.

Welcome to Austin

2012-09-06 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I would like to join one of these days but Sat mornings are a no go for me due to marathon training.  Also be very careful of boats in the area.  I've also heard that swimming at the bottom of Mansfield Dam (by the low water crossing) is a good place to swim as there are no boats and the water is cold due to release from the dam.  Heard it can be like swimming on a treadmill while water is being released.

If you want to join us on the bike here is our FB page.

2012-09-07 5:38 AM

User image

Thought about Sat am being the long riding day/time after I posted it. Maybe we'll adjust to an afternoon.

Because I work downtown and plan to commute by bike, I can't really say what day would work best.

Maybe Sunday after Church? 2pm?

What are the good group workouts?

Sounds like bikes on Tues/Thurs in Lakeway
Any good run groups/track workouts?
2012-09-07 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin

I will run with a group.  I need the help.   I know Chichitoa runs like a Gazelle.  Sunday afternoons would be good

IronUltrared, let us know a good time we could train when your in Lake Travis.   Also, you will need to put a can of wooping on Djastroman at Kerrville.  He is afraid of you showin him up.  Smile

Who is in on Kerrville

2012-09-07 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4395266

User image

Let me see about the 15th. Need child care. Gomes are you on Facebook?And, truthfully, Dj is better than me. I talk smack because it's fun, and someday i might actually beat him in a race that goes well for him. Until then I'll just have to keep talking smack, and beating him because his chain broke at Bastrop, he wasn't feeling well at Austin.... You get the idea.

Edited by ironultrared 2012-09-07 4:28 PM
2012-09-07 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Austin is a mecca for cycling and you will find tons of groups and rides all across town and almost any day of the week, free of charge.  A few good ones to check out:  Jack and Adams, Bicycle Sport Shop, Austin Tri Cyclist, Mellow Johnnys, Southwest Cycle Sport, Lake Travis Cycling (Smile)...the list goes on and on. 

Running is a little tougher to come by as the groups are mostly paid entry groups (Rogue, Gilbert Gazelles, AustinFit).  There is the Austin Runners Club (ARC) that has free runs throughout the week.  I also believe RunTex and Texas Running Company put on some runs, but not totally sure.  On meetup you can usually find a group or two.

That said, I am on a pretty strict running plan with AustinFit right now.  I am running 4-5x/wk, biking 2x/wk, and throwing an occasional swim in when I can.  So don't change any plans for me.  When you settle on something though I would like to stay informed and join in when it works with my schedule. 

ps - Don't let Dwight (TxWildcat) fool ya, he passed me in a local tri and is why I am allowing him to poke fun of me as I resemble more of a 3-legged buffalo rather than a gazelle on my runs!

Edited by chichitao 2012-09-07 7:44 PM

2012-09-17 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4400835

I will be in and out of town for the next few months.  I can always do something Mon, tuesday, sometimes Wednesday through Sunday.  It depends on whether or not a horse show is going on.  I would welcome some people to do OW with and can be flexible as to the time of day.  I am staying out past Bee Cave so I have great riding nearby and would be thrilled to have company.  I will do some trail running at Reimers and the rest at either the Galleria or TLT but I am terribly slow.  Also, I might try to get an OWS group going that meets once a week (or twice a month and alternates locations).  Right now I am planning to explore the river and Lake Travis as swim venues.  PLEASE let me know if you'd like to join.
2012-09-21 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

There are 3 meetup groups you might also want to look at.  www.meetup.com

There is the Austin Cycling Meetup, the Austin Runners Meetup, and the Austin Triathletes Meetup (in the process of being updated due to new management).

I am interested in participating with all of you.

Doing my first HIM at Kerrville next weekend.

2012-09-23 11:17 AM

User image

Hey everyone, I'm just getting snapped in out here. Done two Saturday group rides with the Southwest Cyclery group (they dropped me hard on those hills, but I got good rides nonetheless). Commuted to downtown, ran downtown and at the Barton Creek Wilderness Trail, etc.

I'm thinking of going out to the lake this afternoon for a swim if anyone wants to meet at Lakeway Marina. I should get there around 2pm.
2012-09-25 4:06 PM

User image

So I did my 2pm swim last Sunday.  I think I'll do it again the next time I'm around  (Going back to FL this weekend).  From the Marina ramp, I go South/west staying about 50 yards from the shoreline, stay on the inside of the docks, and figure I can get about 1 mile. 

So, if you want to join in Oct, we'll see how long the water stays tolerable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake Travis OWS Groups Rss Feed