General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2013-03-05 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4394006

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread

LINK for Elevations

(I am resubmitting since the site added gibberish to the end of the URL in my above note)

2013-03-05 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
CT

I have done both the Griskus Olympic and Sprint.  Both have some pretty impressive hills.  Does this course cover much of the same hills? Is that a good preview?

2013-03-06 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4647614

User image

Veteran
ctbrian - 2013-03-05 4:34 PM

I have done both the Griskus Olympic and Sprint.  Both have some pretty impressive hills.  Does this course cover much of the same hills? Is that a good preview?

I do loops of the Griskus bike route for my training (when spring comes around again....) which is what I did in lead up to Quassy and IMLP last year.  I like doing the loops since it provides more hills and keeps me closer to home.

2013-03-07 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

Article in yesterday's litchfield, CT papers.  Apparently they are not happy about our "high speeds" (cause it's only a race!) and littering on the long hill climb.  They sound pretty adamant about not having the race go through Litchfield if it doesn't get better this year.  

http://www.countytimes.com/articles/2013/03/06/news/litchfield/doc51376f762548f668638454.txt

2013-03-26 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4650397

User image

New user
Is it only 8 weeks until Quassy?
2013-03-26 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4674529

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
I'm no math major but I count 10 as of this coming Saturday.  I need all 10 with this later winter delaying any outdoor biking.  Hoping this weekend my bike will finally see some pavement.

2013-03-26 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Well, now I'm working in Farmington (UCHC), anyone know of some decent riding routes or groups in that area for after work training rides? Hills are good.
2013-03-26 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Lots of options Todd. I'll send you an email tomorrow with the organized rides.
2013-04-27 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
Anyone going in May for a pre ride of the course?
2013-04-27 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4717078

User image

Regular
NYC

l plan on going up either the second or third weekend in May to give it a whirl. My gf has a marathon the first weekend, so it will depend on how fast she recovers. She's doing the Flying Pig in Cinncinatti.

I haven't looked at the map, but I did the race in '11 and it seemed like there were a lot of turns to different roads. I'm hoping it will be easy to navigate the course on our own without getting lost.

2013-04-29 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
running out of time for open water swims - this late winter has been killer.  I hope to ride the course after work during the week, possibly run parts - but the OWS is tough with the water so cold still.

2013-04-29 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4718678

User image

Veteran

Nut-up cupcake.

(Nice run at Cheshire, the boy has some speed...)

cobratodd - 2013-04-29 9:59 AM running out of time for open water swims - this late winter has been killer.  I hope to ride the course after work during the week, possibly run parts - but the OWS is tough with the water so cold still.

2013-04-30 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4717136

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ballston Spa, NY
jmagnyc - 2013-04-27 10:44 AM

l plan on going up either the second or third weekend in May to give it a whirl. My gf has a marathon the first weekend, so it will depend on how fast she recovers. She's doing the Flying Pig in Cinncinatti. 

Let me know if you plan on going.  There's about 5 of us from NY that are doing it and we could make a weekend out of it.

2013-04-30 1:32 PM

User image

Regular
hey me and 2 other friends are planning to ride the bike course next sat May 11- we are coming from new york. Let me know if anyone else is riding.
2013-05-02 6:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
I may ride the course this Saturday (5/4) in the morning if anyone else is interested.
2013-05-02 9:06 AM

User image

New user
I planned on doing the same thing with my GF who is also doing the race.  See you on the course at some point.

2013-05-02 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4721017

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

JackieSBR - 2013-04-30 1:32 PM hey me and 2 other friends are planning to ride the bike course next sat May 11- we are coming from new york. Let me know if anyone else is riding.

I just got the notification from the Rev3-and I think that this is THE day for the official pre-ride. They usually have 100+ riders going out in waves-depending on level. We have traditionally tried to go on that day and follow it up with a run. They will start in the midmorning, if I'm reading this right, and then have a talk about the swim after. I did not sign up for the 'official ride' last year, just joining in, but it appears that this year they are going to be wearing numbers etc...

Check the Quassy/Rev3 site for more details, but I'd like to plan on that day and see if there is interest from the group here and in the IMLP group also.

We can certainly follow the other groups that day but shouldn't use any support unless we sign up/pay.

Is there any interest for that day-May 11?

Dale

2013-05-04 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

So, as I am in prep mode for the Quassy Races, I pulled up the very helpful comments made by Bobby (aka DreamChaser) about the 1/2 IM  course. Although he has been very busy with his new job, last year he guided me through the race with his notes and comments and I need to pass it forward and wouldn't dream of changing his May 2012 post.

For me, the most helpful comment was bout the dangerous turn-the S-Plunge at mile 31.3 of the bike. I almost wiped out doing the pre-ride and I was forewarned. Be careful. FTR, Bobby also raced it in 2012. I'm amazed at the detail of his 'guide'.

I present it below:

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I raced Quassy in 2010 and 2011.  And trained on the Bike and Run Course 2 weeks ago.  I’ve also read about 20 detailed Race Reports.  Here’s my take on it.   

Swim Coursehttp://rev3tri.com/quassy/course-info-3/swim-course/

The swim course shown on the site is different than the swim course I swam at Quassy the last two years.  The shape is the same, but the distances are different.  The section is only three or four buoys, and within a short amount of time you are at the first turn buoy making a right.  Then it’s a long straightaway with several buoys and you cannot even see the next “turn” buoy.  So from the last two years the “swim out” and “swim in” sections are shorter and the “swim across” distance connecting them is the longest.   

So from past experience, you come up on the first turn quick and then it’s a long straight swim for 65% of the distance.  If you can find a good pair of feet to draft off around this point, that would be ideal.  When you hit the next and final turn buoy use the “Muscle Milk” arch to site off.  In the past, following the buoys closely on the return leg was not the straightest fast route back to shore. 

If you site well and find some feet for the long-width across, this is a super-fast swim.  Probably the fastest swim of all the tri’s I’ve done.  And it’s measured accurately the past two years. 

The water is usually a crisp 65 degrees.  Pro Magalie Tisseyre was hypothermic after coming out of the water last year and DNF’d – but no one else had a problem, and she’s like 6% body fat!  If you do happen to come out of the water and you’re cold, just make sure to get dry before going out on the Bike cause there will be immediate winds from the descents on the Bike.   

T1

When you come out of the water transition is a short run up the beach.  I love the wood box slots in transition.  Everyone’s stuff has it’s own box and it makes for a neat, clean, fast transition.

Bike Course

Quassy is a clinic in gear changing.  I can assure that everyone will use every gear on their bike, every 20 mins or less.  The first 5 miles are mostly descent.  Remember this because these are the same 5 miles (51 – to 56) that we have to ride back up!!  This is a very undulating hilly course.  For me, this dictates when I take in nutrition.  So in the first few miles, once my heart rate settles I’ll eat a Stinger Waffle (last year it was a Power Bar) and get solids in me ASAP.  Because this is a hilly, challenging course (for me) I find that I need a little more nutrition than a flat or rolling course.  Miles 6 through 16 is a roller coaster.  You are either going up or down.  None of the climbs or descents are super-long, but they’re not super-short either.  The good thing is all the climbs you can see, and same with the descents; nothing too technical.  There are plenty of turns but the ascents and descents are pretty straight-forward.  On a lot of these descents if you can tuck super-aero and super-low, you won’t need to pedal.  I was able to pass, or stay with fellow riders who were pedalling by simply tucking aero and low.  It may also be because I’m 117 pounds that gravity favors me J    Some of the climbs do get steep, but right at the very end.  Again miles 6 through 16 is an actual “roller coaster”

Miles 16 to 21.  There is a wicked-awesome descent on a main road that goes past a beautiful dam and state park.  Again, some curves in this descent, but not really technical.  If you’re a good descender you can easily pick up time here and hit 40+ mph – all while taking in some great views.  And when the descent lets up you come to ‘false flats’ no real climbs. 

After the dam descent we make a left onto Route 109.  It’s sort of a mini Main Street.  This road is flat.  When I see a Dunkin Donuts on my Right (around Mile 23) it reminds me of two things 1.) It’s a good time to take another solid, or gel.  And 2.) Within a half mile or so I’m going to make a Right and the Bike Course really begins here.

Mile 24 to 31.

Ah, The Climb.  Once we make a Left off this short flat road at the light, around mile 24, THE CLIMB begins.  We climb for just shy of 2-miles.  We get a ¾ of mile reprieve, and then we climb for around 5-miles straight.  It’s a FLAT OUT GRIND.  It’s straight up.  No turns.  It gets fairly steep in some areas, and it never lets up.  I go right into my granny gear of my 12-27 cassette and just grind it out. 

Around mile 29 you will see ‘the top’. It flattens out a bit and then there is one last stretch of out-of-the-saddle effort climbing and the road bends hard to the Right.  We are now atop the climb.  Be prepared for a sudden blast of headwind when we make this Right.  Up until this point (having done this course three times prior) there are no headwinds.  Atop the mountain it is very open,  and a long and windy false flat, but you can get into the big ring.  Before long, right before mile 31 we hit the last of The Climb… it’s not that long of a climb but it has teeth as it’s steep – you’ll see the steepness from far away.

After this last hill of The Climb we will quickly leave the openess and enter a shaded neighborhood right around MILE 31.3.  Warning Sirens should go off because there is a NASTY-NASTY S-Curved descent coming up.  So as soon as you enter a shaded neighborhood around Mile 31.3 and you feel yourself descending STAY ON THE HOODS WITH THE BREAKS READILY AVAILABLE.  This is not a descent; it’s an S-shaped PLUNGE.  You plunge down and to the right, and with little warning after very rapidly picking up speed, it swings to the left.  The shoulder is also sandy to add to the hazard.  Both years I’ve seen riders on the ground at this point.  In 2010 I saw a Police Officer tending to an athlete and waving his arms for other riders to slow down.  On our training ride 2 weeks ago my friend Dale remarked how he almost wiped out.  And after this S-plunge, it plunges immediately again and at the bottom is a Stop-sign and we make a hard left.  The intersection will be blocked off – but Be Cautious

The next 4 miles are fairly tame rolling back roads through neighborhoods. 

Mile 35.5 we make a Right for the out & back.  Here is a place to make up time.  The first “Out Section” is a slight downhill.  You can Hammer this and make up seconds and gauge your competition ahead of you and behind you.  It’s non-technical and straight.  When you hit the turn-around you can still keep a decent tempo although it’s an ascent back to the beginning. 

From 38 to 43 are a few very steep but very short climbs… 

From  43 to 49 is the reason why we do this Race.  There are some unbelievable, absolutely stunning views of the Connecticut countryside.  Red barns, lush stone-walled lawns, and mile-long views of country… and to go with it.. SOME BADA$$ AWESOME DESCENTS!!  I’m talking mile-long bombing straight descents where you can easily hit 50.  There are some more headwinds on the flats, but these descents are the best I’ve ever ridden. 

At mile 50 to 51 we come back to reality as we recognize the first 5-miles of the course and grumble as we grind up false flats.  The last Left onto Middlebury Rd back up to Quassy is really cruel because we’ll see all the ‘wicked fasties’ on the run and we’ll be spinning up-hill for another 2-miles. 

Last year I avg’d 18.46 mph on this course with a time of 3:01:59.  On a flat 56-mile course I’m around 20.75 mph.  Just for reference. 

The Run  (If you have to pee, but not too badly and can hold it a few miles, wait cause at mile 3 you’ll have woods and privacy and will lose less time than a port-a-potty)

The first 2-miles are downhill.  Back past where the Bike started and ended.  The first 2-miles are fast with little shade.  We make a right and then we hit a false flat, then flat, shaded, and then at Mile 3 we hit a plunging downhill and make a Right.  Try and use this momentum as we approach “The Dirt Road From Hell”.   From Mile 3.5 to Mile 4.5 you will be shuffling.  I repeat – You Will Be Shuffling.  My friend Dan was the lead Mountain Biker for the Pro’s.  The #1 Male Pro shuffled this run.  And so will you J  The aid station on this road is awesome though.  Feed off their energy,  Try and hook up with another athlete or group as it’s much better to pace with someone.  And speaking of pace, don’t look at your watch.  This mile is a wash for everyone.  I avg’d a 7:45 pace last year – with a 1:41 half time, and I believe I was around a 10-min mile for this mile as I did walk twice.  At the end of this “Dirt Road From Hell” it gets so steep you’ll wonder if walking would be faster.  Seriously.  It’s B.R.U.T.A.L

After the “Dirt Road From Hell”  we hit pavement again (alas!) and make a right into a development.  This is a mile out & back with rolling terrain.  This where I got my cadence going quick again, you can pick up A LOT of speed on the downhills and use this momentum to carry you UP and OVER the rolling up hills.  Know that at the end in a culdesac is an Aid Station.  It’s pretty well stocked.  I am not positive, but I am pretty certain they have coke at this aid station.  I use my momentum to boomerang myself around the culdesac and grab some fluids and drink them on a downhill back out.  This out & back is where you’ll start to see the carnage beginning.  People who didn’t train enough, hammered the bike too hard, or sadly are just not having a good day. 

When you make a right out of the out & back there are a few Steep SOB climbs and then come a few PLUNGES.  And they are not downhills; they are plunges.  They will hammer the quads.  If you remember, you can look right and catch peeks of the lake, very scenic and pretty and will take the mind off the pain. 

After the plunges, between mile 6.5 and 7 you will see the lake right next to you as the course really turns, and then when it straightens out you will see a long hideous climb.  A LONG HIDEOUS TOUGH-TOUGH Climb.  I actually believe it’s right around 7.5 miles in.  It’s straight and it’s long, and it hurts.  MENTALLY KNOW - *This is the last long climb of the day.  *At the top you will see and aid station.  Use this as motivation.  *Know that once you crest this climb you will be on Tranquility Rd and you will see the most beautiful front lawns and beautiful English houses you’ve ever seen.  I’m talking 10 ACRE perfectly manicured front lawns.  Just keep that far-far-away aid station in your laser lock and keep shuffling toward it.  Once you hit that aid station it immediately flattens out and then we get a nice descent back to Quassy. 

At mile 8.5 we run on a sidewalk path, lots of spectators, you should see your family and then we make a left into a wonderfully shaded neighborhood.  We hit a long downhill on a straight road and now it’s time to empty to the tank.  Focus on quick cadence and bury your head as it’s a ½ mile straight; then you’ll see a hill but no worries, we turn right into more shade some downhill, then we turn left and run an out & back with a slightly cruel incline.  This part is a grind and we’ll see our competition again. At the turn-around is the last aid station, we can coast downhill, and then mile 11.5 to 12.5 is pure loveliness.  It’s canopy-shaded, cool, few houses, just awesome.  And then you’ll see the stone bridge.  At first it will seem like a little incline, but then we turn 180 and all I can say is the last climb is not terribly long, but it’s not short.  It’s downright cruel due to the fact it’s 1/3 of a mile from the finish.  But once the cruel climb is over we make a left and it’s another 100 strides till we make another left to where the finish line is. 

So the Run is a beast indeed, but the first 3.5 miles are mostly downhill and flat; miles 3.5 to 8 are just dreadful ; but then miles 8 to 12.5 are mostly-shaded and flat and very fast. 

And there is your Quassy Insider’s Guide. J

-Bobby

(DreamChaser)

2013-05-04 1:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Did the Rev bike, the Griskus bike, AND the Griskus run today - I'm all done
2013-05-05 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

x2 race report.  

This is not a course you want to go in blindly...if you can't ride/run before, then definitely drive both bike and run course it at some point.  

Stick to your race plan!  Last year I was with a group of 8 or so runners, going into the hills at mile 3.5..they all just took off over the hills and left me shuffling which was very hard to deal with, until I started picking them off one by one starting around mile 6 and by mile 10 I had caught the woman I started out of T2 with and she was hurting.

2013-05-05 11:40 AM

User image

New user
Hamden, CT
Biked the course yesterday and ran the course today. That race report couldn't be more accurate, down to every mile. Beautiful course but highly suggest going through it at least once before the race so you know how to fuel and how to pace.

2013-05-05 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4727937

Master
Northern IL

Riding & running the course can certainly help. If you can't make it, or if you can't do it much, look for some training that has you frequently going up and down. Some who have done it can probably see the benefits of both being able to go uphill continuously for awhile, and also being able to handle the constantly changing terrain for the entire race. You can see it's not an exaggeration to say that.

I had no chance to get out there beforehand last year, but did ok because I was able to incorporate those basic concepts into becoming faster at both running & riding. I learned the feel of going both up and down a variety of hills. I learned to adapt from one grade to another more quickly, this helped with how often the course does so. And also learned better how to carry momentum through changes in terrain.

2013-05-06 3:14 PM

User image

Can NOT WAIT for this event.  Whoop Whoop!

Did the Olympic last year and had two firsts. 

1) My first ever swim panic attack which was magical.  New wetsuit, mirror goggles (it was very dark outside and the lake was pitch black) plus a heal to the face and my brain said - hold on here - this ain't right.  Took about 5 minutes to regroup my head so I could put my face back in the water and race.

2) Completed an entire race in rain.  Easily 20 miles on the bike were torrential rain.  I put on a baseball cap under my helmet which didn't make me all that aero but I was able to see.  Never underestimate the seeing thing on a 26 mile hilly course.

It's all upside this year!

2013-05-09 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Anyone riding this weekend?  Sunday, I plan on 2 laps of the bike because I have a 5 hr ride on my training plan.
2013-05-09 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4734890

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT

cobratodd - 2013-05-09 10:45 AM Anyone riding this weekend?  Sunday, I plan on 2 laps of the bike because I have a 5 hr ride on my training plan.

Todd

I'm signed up for the pre-ride on Saturday. Are you doing it? Doesn't seem like the weather will cooperate and I'm not sure how much outside interest there is, but we could hook up if you are planning on doing this. I'll ride the first loop only-ha. No IM for me this year...

PM me if you are interested enough to exchange numbers...

Dale

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Quassy - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6