United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 54m 26s
Overall Rank = 5/97
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

ate my bagel with PB, yogurt, and drove to the race. Drank about 8 oz of Gatorade on the drive
Event warmup:

walked to the start, that was about it
Run
  • 3h 56m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well. I had little expectations, but a goal of 4 hrs. The first loop went well, finished it in 1:56. The second went surprisingly well. My plantar fascia was bothering me the entire day, and I thought the second loop would be tough. I only slowed by a couple of minutes, and felt good hte last few miles. The last few miles, I knew that I had a couple of minutes to spare to break 4 hrs, and when I crossed the finish lone, and was told I won my age group, it was an added bonus
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, looking for something to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

The race festival was a great theme weekend, with the events starting Fri afternoon and lasting til Sun afternoon. Tons of music, nightly 5K hikes/runs/"natural runs" even. 100m, 100K, 50m, 50K, full, half, and 5mile races. My only complaint was there was minimal food for the marathon runners at the finish. The ultra racers had a HUGE set-up - and they deserve it- but the marathon runners had bagels, bananas and water. No gatorade. cokes, anything salty, and definitely no beer. Otherwise, it was a great race.

Last updated: 2012-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
03:56:26 | 26.2 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 5/97
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops of rolling hills on the trails in Michigan
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-08 10:02 PM

Subject: Run Woodstock Mellow Marathon

2012-09-11 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4401854

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Subject: RE: Run Woodstock Mellow Marathon

Congrats on the AG win!!!  Solid time on course with many slow, sloppy areas after the overnight rains.  Some areas had unavoidable ankle-deep mud & some hill climbs with slick roots.  And many areas of tight singletrack trail that prevented passing slower runners/walkers.  I did the HM ("Hippie Half") & was 18min slower than my PR HM run earlier this year on roads.  My hat's off to you posting sub-4 on that course.

BTW- Agree Woodstock theme was fun (with live bands playing late 60's rock!),  and that post-race eats should be better for the non-Ultra runners. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run Woodstock Mellow Marathon Rss Feed