TriSports Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m 55s
Overall Rank = 99/109
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Cereal, drive, poop, set up transition. Pretty standard.
Event warmup:

Wander around nervously at the start!
Swim
  • 15m 4s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in my Blueseventy Fusion, all TriSlided up on the important parts, and ready to swim. I positioned myself the front. They shouted “GO!” and I sprinted off the line. About 150yds later… I was alone. Totally alone. Crap. Had I gone that far off course already? I came up for a long sight, and looked behind me. I was right on track and swimming solo at the very front of the pack!! I have NEVER found myself this far in front this early on in the race. So, with a tough mountain bike ride looming – and 4000’ of extra elevation – I cruised. I tried to keep my HR down, stay steady, and sight correctly. It seemed to work! After my race two weeks ago, this swim felt downright short. Before I knew it I was headed back to the boat ramp! I came out of the water in first place! Matt and Chris stripped my wetsuit off – and I said “I won! The race is over right?” They laughed, and I headed for T1.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

No, I did not eat a sandwich. Yes, I struggled with my gloves. I never wear gloves on the road, but off-road, they are essential. I spent a lot of time putting them on, and everything else went smoothly… until I got to the exit and realized I forgot my Camelbak! I dropped my bike, ran back, put on the Camelbak, and yelled to my spectators that I’m so not used to this Xterra stuff.

Remember the Camelbak? Fingerless gloves?
Bike
  • 2h 03m 36s
  • 14.91 miles
  • 7.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Not bad, as most of my MTB rides are around that range! It started with a slight uphill, and jumping a curb to get off the road. I hate curbs. I have no problem going over rocks and logs, but curbs? They are square. One false move and I faceplant. I opted to walk up it. Humbling, for sure. The course that curved through some pine trees. It was fairly rocky, and I was hoping the whole course wouldn’t be like that. It was tough going on the exact sort of terrain I hate. I was wondering what I got myself into! I was really, really hoping that the entire course wasn’t like this. (Spoiler: It wasn’t). Cue wanting to throw my bike off the mountain #1.

It came to a clearing, and I saw it. The first BIG descent. I was aware that there were a few washed out ruts on the way down. I took a deep breath, tried to pick a line, and headed down. I felt panic overtake me, and I knew my face showed it. I looked up just in time to see a course photographer! Oh man, I hope he caught that facial expression! I ended up dismounting twice on the way down to avoid some ruts – and people were super friendly. They point out the best routes to me. I was happy to see some flat land!

The course brought us through some more trail, then off to a road. The road only lasted a short time, and we headed through a field. There were volunteers in front of a tunnel telling us to dismount. I slowed down too early and fell over going over the final ridge before the tunnel. Whoops. I got off my bike with extremely shaky legs and short of breath. Between jitters, fear, altitude and effort, I could not stop my legs from shaking! I carried my bike through thigh-deep water and mud under the tunnel, mounted, and immediately dismounted again to get off the course and let a few people by. I took this opportunity to breathe, take a Powerbar Gel, and steady my legs. I got back on, felt better, and fairly confidently rode the next section. It was pretty similar to Fantasy Island, with easy terrain, and short technical ascents/descents. Home turf. Relief.

The course cut across another road, and we started on the big loop. I ended up behind another girl who just seemed to know the course well. She hadn’t pre-ridden it, but she managed to pick some wonderful lines, and I just tagged along. The course was mostly dirt here, with a few washed-out ruts, rocks, and sugar-sand spots. The course climbed steadily for 3 miles of this… and then you hit the last 1.5 miles of the climb. The course website says “After the 3 miles of gradual climbing, prepare yourself for 1.5 miles of steep climbing and more leg burning. This climb is very similar to the climb in the Xterra World Championships in Maui—both the terrain and the steepness. For those of you with designs on the Xterra World Championships, this course is a must!” I probably made it about .75 miles up the 1.5 mile climb before I had to get off my bike and walk it. The terrain switched from packed dirt with some rocks and soft spots to nothing but round rocks. Every single rider I saw in this spot was walking.

The ground evened out for a while, and I got back on my bike. Then, the descents started. I’m still not at all confident on long, technical descents. So, I wasted a lot of free bike speed walking some of the more technical sections. Cue wanting to throw my bike off the mountain #2. A girl who had clearly fallen off her bike and landed on her face earlier went screaming by me. While I let her by, I grabbed another Powerbar Gel and recollected myself mentally. Mountain biking requires so much more focus than road biking – and it’s draining! Plus, if I’m not on my A game mentally, I might misjudge an obstacle. A volunteer asked me why I was walking – I told him I valued my life more than my bike split! That gave him a laugh, and gave me the kick I needed to get back on my bike.

The course description says “After about 3.5 miles of fast descending, you turn onto a dirt road. You will never be so happy to see a dirt road in your life! The dirt road is super fast (more descending) but contains just enough ruts to keep you honest” and it is incredibly accurate. The smile returned to my face, I relaxed a little, and I tried to find some speed. I started really enjoying the course again here! I approached the aid station and almost wiped out turning the corner on the approach – stupid sugar sand! The volunteers were AMAZING and all laughed when I asked them if I impressed them with my near wipe-out. The course continued on the dirt road for a while, with a few short, technical spots. Soon, I found myself approaching a bunch of cows! I spooked the tiny one, and I was afraid that a big one would charge me. Does that really happen?

Another mile or so on the dirt brought me to a nicely-packed gravel road. YES! I ditched the granny gear, put it in the big ring and tried to make up some time. I chatted with a few racers here, including a guy that was running with his bike. He had destroyed his front tire, and I had nothing to help him. I found out later that he ran the final seven miles of a fourteen mile bike course with his bike, then ran the run. Hardcore, for sure.

We turned from this road, back through the tunnel – but through the dry side this time! – through the woods, and back to that first nasty descent – only it was an ascent this time! I managed to spin my way up until the final section. I lost traction, and then couldn’t get going on the bike again. I hit the peak, saw the next steep, rocky descent, and thought heck NO! I ran my bike down it, thanked the medics that were strategically positioned at the bottom of this hill, and hit the final half mile back to transition.

I came around a corner and heard my biggest cheering squad EVER! Because everyone raced the previous day, they were all free to spectate today! I didn’t even look up at them. I was so focused on not crashing in front of them. I was incredibly relieved to bounce down the curb onto pavement with transition in sight.

MTB more. Especially work on long, technical descents. And fear.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

My legs were rubbery and I wasn’t really thinking straight. I knew I’d finish the race and that the hardest part was behind me!

Not be so slow?
Run
  • 54m 54s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 11m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I was all smiles and having a great time. The course started out pretty easily, and then, right around mile 1, you hit “The Eliminator”. The course info says “This nasty hill near Mile 1 will be sure to challenge even the most seasoned XTERRA veteran. Once up the hill, the course heads towards the dam as athletes get a spectacular view of Fool Hollow Lake.” Whether it was the hill, the bike, the altitude or just my fitness, that hill was indeed nasty. But, holy cow, that view from the dam was worth it. I kind of wanted to sit down, eat a few Powerber Energy Blasts, and just take in the view. But, I didn’t. I ran on. I physically stopped for a few seconds at each aid station. My breathing was out of control, and I didn’t’ really want to immediately vomit up anything I consumed. After the dam, the course was a flat out-and-back that was pretty enjoyable and fairly scenic!

I hit the turnaround feeling good – though a little out of breath. I cruised the rest of the run. I enjoyed the dam view again on the way back, still tempted to stop! Shortly after this, we got word that a naked man was loose on the course on the Eliminator! Never confirmed this rumor, but it gave me a really good laugh heading into the final mile. The final mile brought you down a hill, through the lake (because is it really an Xterra run without a water crossing?) and back around the lake. The final half mile involved climbing stairs from the lake up to the finish line area. So, with mud and rocks in my shoes, I climbed them and set my sights on the finish line!

Maybe not take so long at aid stations - but I was having fun!
Post race
Warm down:

I (somehow) ended up first in my Age Group, winning an awesome wine bottle topper! At the raffle, I won sunglasses, a Timex visor and Chamois Butter paraphernalia in the raffle. Patrick walked away with a new pair of running shoes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a slow mountain biker?

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:04 | 875 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 15/109
Performance: Good
Suit: Blueseventy Fusion
Course: The swim will be a triangular course (see map below). Athletes will begin the race in the water or on the boat ramp depending on the water level on race day. Wave information including swim start times can be found on our schedule. Once the swim begins, swimmers will proceed from the channel, veering right to the first large buoy. The course will be run in a counter-clockwise direction. Once you hit the first large buoy, turn left and swim to the second large buoy. Remember to keep all buoys on your left. At the second large buoy, turn left again and head for the finish. You do not need to round any buoys as you come back into the channel - just make the turn and head to the boat ramp and swim finish. For those athletes that would like help in removing their wetsuits, volunteers will be available for support. A designated area will be marked for this purpose.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:03:36 | 14.91 miles | 7.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 108/109
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Once out of the water, you’ll ride a smooth stretch of dirt road that will allow you to get yourself and your bike sorted out. Make it quick, though, because once you hit the trail, you won’t be taking your hands off the bars much! The course climbs gently up a bumpy jeep road to the green water tower. This tower will serve as your beacon on the return trip to signify that it’s a short downhill jaunt to the transition area. Right now, however, it signifies where the hurting starts. From the green water tower, you bomb down a rutted jeep road to a sharp left turn. This section is among the fastest, and is not for the squeamish. Don’t get your front wheel caught in a rut or you’ll be head-over-heels for sure. At the bottom of the hill, you cross a road and ride down into a rocky and sandy wash (dry riverbed…hopefully). You follow the wash to a culvert that takes you to the other side of the road. From there you pass through a gate and into the forestland. Once through the gate, you gently climb for the next 3 miles on a “bike path-like” trail. Passing will not be a problem whether climbing or descending. The trail is pleasantly rugged, with just enough rocks, tree parts and ruts to make it fun, and almost enough to piss you off! The scenery changes from forest green to coal black part way up the climb as you ride through a forest of trees ravaged by the Rodeo-Chediski fire. The black sticks that used to be trees stand as a stark reminder of the fury of Mother Nature. Right about now you may be wondering if the ghosts of that fire are contributing to the burning sensation rapidly building in your legs as the climb gradually gets steeper. After the 3 miles of gradual climbing, prepare yourself for 1.5 miles of steep climbing and more leg burning. This climb is very similar to the climb in the Xterra World Championships in Maui—both the terrain and the steepness. For those of you with designs on the Xterra World Championships, this course is a must! The last part of the climb winds up to the top of a knoll and is steep, yet doable. Once at the top, the fun begins! Just don’t let the course profile fool you; there’s still some work to do. First and foremost is staying on the trail and out of the woods on the ride down. Second, the hill isn’t quite steep enough to coast down at a fast pace. All of you speed junkies will have to put a little pressure on the pedals if you want to take full advantage of your max speed potential. And if you’re taking advantage of your max speed potential, you have to pay attention because the turns come quick. One loss of concentration will result in a detour through the trees. After about 3.5 miles of fast descending, you turn onto a dirt road. You will never be so happy to see a dirt road in your life! The dirt road is super fast (more descending) but contains just enough ruts to keep you honest. After a couple more miles and sharp right down a quick descent, the dirt road turns left onto the “bike path-like” trail on which you started. Once through the Forest Service gate, you head down into the culvert, and proceed to climb back up to the green water tower (your friendly beacon). It’s a short, stiff climb, but once at the top, you are rewarded with a quick downhill into the bike-to-run transition.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:54:54 | 04.97 miles | 11m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 86/109
Performance: Average
Course: The Trail Run portion of the XTERRA Deuces Wild Triathlon offers athletes a mix of hills, flat terrain, and The Eliminator. The run course leaves transition and follows the same route as the Mountain Bike Course. After a mild start, runners will descend down a steep hill that takes them to the spillway wash where The Eliminator waits. This nasty hill near Mile 1 will be sure to challenge even the most seasoned XTERRA veteran. Once up the hill, the course heads towards the dam as athletes get a spectacular view of Fool Hollow Lake. But the view offers no relief from The Mini Eliminator that will bring runners up the final climb to the plateau. From here the course turns flat and remains flat all the way to the turn around. On the return trip, the route follows the same line across the plateau and down The Mini Eliminator. Athletes will then head back toward transition in a more direct line, avoiding a return trip down The Eliminator. The course finishes along the same paved road out of transition and heads for the turn around point where runners will enter the chute bringing their race to a close.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-11 1:00 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: XTERRA Deuces Wild

2012-09-11 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4405916

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-09-11 2:39 PM

Pro
Subject: RE: XTERRA Deuces Wild
Congrats on the race Elaine. Sounds like your a good MTB rider but just not confident in your riding. Still a great race.
2012-09-11 2:49 PM

Payson, AZ
Nice job.  It takes lots of practice to feel good about bombing down a technical downhill.  Sounds like you had a lot of fun
2012-09-11 6:40 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada
Nice RR, sounds like a ton of fun!  I'm too chicken to try mountain biking!
2012-09-11 7:09 PM

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

As I sat near transition watching all you crazies all I could say to myself was, "man, I need another mountain bike!"

That woman with the bloody face was my friend, Chelsea.  Apparently she failed to carry her front tire over a hole/dip and endo'd.  Best words ever as she's running out of T2 with blood all over her face, "do I look like a bad a** now?"  

Nice job out there!

2012-09-12 9:38 AM

Master
Overland Park, KS

Wow Elaine, you are a brave soul!  I tried a mountain bike course once for a corporate challenge event.  Fell 3 times, there were rocks, trees going across the path, branches everywhere!  But most of all, I am sooooo not skilled in off-road cycling.

Super job out there Smile

2012-09-12 10:58 AM

Seattle
Nice!!!! Those Xterras are no joke! Great race. Deuces!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Deuces Wild Rss Feed