Pelican Coast Events, LLC
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 35s
Overall Rank = 293/490
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/44
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am and started moving stuff to the car. Ate breakfast (toast with peanut butter and honey, apple sauce, protein drink) and applied sunscreen on the way to the race site. Got there at 5:20. Met Bernard and his family and friends. His new triathlete friend Lisa was there too well before both of us! O_O

I came into this race at sub-optimal readiness (due to 3:45 long bike Friday along with a peak training week for Orangeman) so only thing I aimed for was to kill my bike split from last year since I have a new wetsuit and ITBS issues.
Event warmup:

Did some dynamic movements to warm up a bit at 6:30. New wetsuit proved challenging to put on even with BodyGlide in key areas. Got into the water and warmed up. Did some sighting practice and short sprints. I BARELY made it to my wave start but good thing they delayed its scheduled time for some unknown reason.
Swim
  • 18m 17s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swells and waves were ALOT bigger than last year. Did not get smashed this time but I had a hard time breathing well with the new warranty replacement wetsuit (which I only used once the weekend prior). So I decided to keep the pace aerobic. The swells were big so I lost sight of the pack and couldn't keep up. I also lost my swim cap in the rugby match! Anyway, I followed a competitor and just like the Orange County Olympic, we both veered off course and a kayaker had to redirect us. My guess is that added about 50 yards, hehe! Gotta make a better effort with sighting buoys instead of competitors...
What would you do differently?:

Not use new wetsuit if possible. And get better warm up before race start.
Transition 1
  • 05m 32s
Comments:

Ran up 1st 2/3rds of hill out of the water as I didn't want to be completely out of breath at the apex. Pulled wetsuit down to waist successfully. I enjoyed getting cheered on by the spectators. =D

Nothing, maybe run up the whole way but with my suffering run fitness and ITBS, I'll accept my decision as a good one.
Bike
  • 39m 13s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

Brought the hammer down here and shaved off almost 5 minutes off last years time!!! Woot! ^_^ I took the Slice 5 on the course the day before to test the big ring performance and I kept it there the whole race. I nearly had a head on collision with a motorcycle. Ugh.... I wish they weren't allowed on the race course! It took alot of mental focus at that instant not to panic and cause an accident. I was looking down a bit and as I started looking up again, there he was! Grrrr!

Also, Gemini Timing must have had a glitch because my Garmin 910xt recorded a much different time which I'm going to go with. There's no way I was averaging less than 18mph! >=P

Nothing, if this was an "A" race, I'd taper down accordingly to push harder.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Smoother transition here as I put my Wrightsocks on at T2 with TriSlide.

Have an extra bottle with sports drink instead of drinking from aero bottle, hehe! I had to duck below and go across my transition area to get a good sip.
Run
  • 25m 58s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

ITBS killed me on sandy beach and ascent before finish but I did not stop and walk AT ALL. I'm very proud of that. The Pro-tech ITB strap helped lots! I did not use any on-course hydration so I'm really happy about my hydration fitness level. =)

Damned blisters came up though below my arches like some training runs with the shoes used (Adidas Adizero aegis 2s). That may be due to putting socks on with TriSlide too soon in T1, I really don't know, argh!!!

Nothing, not get injured in training. =P Perhaps use duct tape?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate bagels, bananas, smoothies, Endurox R4. Met Bernard and congratulated him on having a great race. He kicked my butt! hehehe! Hung around with family and friends while waiting for Lisa who finished great, yay!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

New wetsuit, ITBS, peak training week for Orangeman.

Event comments:

I wish they gave finisher's medals. =( In any case, I'm very proud to have Bernard as part of our Tri-Rookies group. His attitude and positive energy rocks! In addition to that, I'm happy to be part of such a group myself, we all balance each other out and hold each other accountable. Eat that frog you beastmode Tri-Rookie pignuts, hehehe! ;)

Last updated: 2011-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:17 | 880 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 35/44
Overall: 348/490
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Wetsuits Vortex 4
Course: Point to point rectangular. Right shoulder to bouys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:13 | 12 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/44
Overall: 146/490
Performance: Good
Average 122bpm, max 153. I think I held back a tad bit due to sub-optimal race readiness but still felt a good effort being put in.
Wind: None
Course: 2 laps of rolling hills on Pacific Coast Hwy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:58 | 03 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/44
Overall: 293/490
Performance: Average
Avg 149bpm, max 175bpm.
Course: Rolling hills along PCH to beach up a crazy hill before the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-12 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Pacific Coast Triathlon

2012-09-13 10:33 PM
in reply to: #4407848

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Triathlon
sounds like you got what you wanted out of it. Nice bike.
2012-10-11 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4407848

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Triathlon
Great job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Coast Triathlon Rss Feed