Lafayette, Louisiana
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

This was a B race for getting ready for the Big Cajun Oly next month (my late season A race) then the River Roux HIM (B race). I wasn’t planning on doing this race but when I signed up for a tri race series this was included so decided to go. I love the goodie bags from this race (previous races have given away race belts, hat, visors, socks, etc) but the swim is always bathtub warm and the run is usually brutally hot with no shade. This year was a bit different. Between the hurricane and me still getting over a code I was not hopeful for any great results for this race.
Pre-Race
Packed truck the night before and woke up at 5am. Breakfast, caught up with emails and out the door by 5:10. Wow, Fall is here as the temps were actually a bit chilly! Last check to make sure I have everything and head off, at the race by 6:30. Got one of the last free parking spots which saved me $5.

Event warmup:

Pumped up the tires, grabbed my stuff and made the long hike to transition. Body markings, timing chip and then rack my bike. I am racked next to Bike out so my run from the swim was long but evened out at T2. A Gu, visit to the porto and then head off to the swim. Because of the long run from transition everyone leaves sandals, etc at the swim exit to run with. Its mainly asphalt coming back and they don’t have enough carpet to cover. This year I brought a pair of sandals and left them at a strategic spot (like everyone always does, except for me). I normally do a prerace ½ mile run to warm up but didn’t do it this time, a bit of a mistake for me.
Swim
  • 19m 33s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

Jumped in, swam a little and then headed off to the edge to hang out with everyone on the shoreline until swim start. Water was warmer then air temp and it was better to stay in the water. We were the first wave and finally they say one minute and we start to swim out to the start line. They then delayed us two more minutes to make sure the bike course was ready. Finally we start and I promptly run into a wall of bodies and kicking legs. I fight for any open water and after the first buoy I am out of breath and not feeling well so I slow up but keep going. Finally catch my breath but this swimmer next to me keeps bumping into me and pushing me farther away from the course. I have to gun it again, pass him and start heading back in. At the end of the swim I am just done for but keep going. Get to the exit and try to pull myself up and it’s a no go. Luckily after two attempts a volunteer grabs my arm and pulls me up.
What would you do differently?:

I lost lots of time trying to get out and run up the stairs. So my actual time is closer to 17:33 but since I pushed the wrong button on my 910xt I can’t be sure. Surprisingly my time is 1 min faster than my 2010 race. Still I need to figure out how to get faster in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Up a couple of flights of stairs, cross the timing chip and look for my sandals and they are gone, WTF? About to give up on them when I noticed a little kid with a towel over him standing right over them. Gently have him step back, pick up my sandals, and take off for T1. Get to bike, put on sunglasses, helmet on and off to mount line.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 32s
  • 21.3 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

My usual flying mount and start pedaling. I have to admit I love riding my bike with the good race tires and latex tube, I really feel like I can fly. Couple of turns and we are on an open stretch of fresh asphalt, nice and smooth and just open it up. All thru the course I am passed occasional but I also pass some folks. There were some rough spots but overall the roads weren’t too bad by Louisiana standards. I eat three shot blocks about midway and sip on Gatorade in my aero bottle. A few times it felt like we were with the wind. I do need to work on my bike handling skills around corners as I think I lost a little time there. Flying dismount and run with bike to rack.

Great time and great ride, very happy with this ride. Definitely will keep pushing my bike training
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Rack the bike, lose the helmet, put on shoes (no socks), grab my race number, a gu, and I am off. I put my race number on just before exiting transition. A good transition time.
Run
  • 25m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Start the run and my usual slow start and I picked up each mile. Mile 3 I was running an 8mm pace and picking up steam. As I near the run finish I hear them call my name, try to sprint it in but not much left.

This was a good run for me. The temps were fine and the course is fairly flat except for one hill. I have done a couple of running races lately and I think that has definitely helped. I need to do more speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Turned in chip, grabbed a drink and munched on some food then got in line for a leg massage which felt very good. Almost got back in line for the head and neck massage but the line was long by then. Pack up my stuff and head out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall a very good race for me. With the temps down, a lot more training under my belt, and some decent roads (for Louisiana) I beat my 2010 time (last time I did this race) by 15 minutes.

Last updated: 2012-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:33 | 805 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 12/17
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:32 | 21.3 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 17/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:44 | 03.1 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/17
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: out and back on service road next to airport. Typically very hot with no shade but temps this year were great
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-14 9:41 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: CajunMan Triathlon

2012-09-16 8:43 PM
in reply to: #4412366

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: CajunMan Triathlon
Nice race Gary! Super speedy ride and run. Congrats on beating your 2010 time by 15 minutes, that's huge!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CajunMan Triathlon Rss Feed