Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 181

2014-06-28 6:39 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Subject: RE: 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us?
Day 948, 13.17 miles in 1:37:30. It was hot and humid out there today and a lot hillier than I thought it would be. The first 6 miles were pretty much up hill. The second half had some downhill and a little up but not much. With the conditions I am real happy with the time considering I just did 110 miles 5 weeks ago. My time was good enough for 25th overall out of over 800 runners and 2nd in the 50-54 age group. I t was great running through the tunnel and out on to the field at Ralph Wilson Stadium to finish on the 50 yards line. Then to hang out and drink some beer on the filed too. Missed my pr by 3 seconds.

ImSore, have fun camping and hiking. I am going for my annual camping trip in less than two weeks. I'll be drinking more beer than anything that weekend though.

2014-06-29 12:17 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Day 949, 8.2 miles.
2014-06-30 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Great race Ron!

Run #39
2014-06-30 12:13 PM
in reply to: Lumber Dad

User image

Originally posted by Lumber Dad

Great race Ron!

Run #39

Thanks.

Day 950, 10.1 mile progressive run. With half the year gone I have ran 1659.32 miles so far. I will not come close to the 3925 I ran last year but I should still be well over 3000 for the year when it ends.
2014-07-01 3:55 PM

User image

Day 951, 6.2 stormy miles. I got caught in a heck of a t storm or I would've done 8 miles but I headed for home with rumblings of thunder in the distance and still did not make it before it hit.
2014-07-01 8:19 PM

Originally posted by navbtcret

Day 948, 13.17 miles in 1:37:30. It was hot and humid out there today and a lot hillier than I thought it would be. The first 6 miles were pretty much up hill. The second half had some downhill and a little up but not much. With the conditions I am real happy with the time considering I just did 110 miles 5 weeks ago. My time was good enough for 25th overall out of over 800 runners and 2nd in the 50-54 age group. I t was great running through the tunnel and out on to the field at Ralph Wilson Stadium to finish on the 50 yards line. Then to hang out and drink some beer on the filed too. Missed my pr by 3 seconds.

ImSore, have fun camping and hiking. I am going for my annual camping trip in less than two weeks. I'll be drinking more beer than anything that weekend though.

Nice race Ron. You have sub 1:35 in you. Considering the course, the heat, and the lack of recovery, you ran very strong.

Camping and hiking was fun. Had a few wildlife encounters. Chased a timber rattler of the trail, also had a huge black bear come within 20ish feet of my camp just after my wife and I went into the tent. My guess is a 500 lb or so male, cant imagine what a grizzly or Kodiak would look like that close in the wild. Hope I never find out!! Also had another bear (maybe the same one?) make its way past my camp at about 3 am.

Did about 20 miles of hiking and my pack was too heavy. The only way for my wife to keep up is for me to carry almost everything, my guess was 60 ish pounds. I made it though, and I guess it was nice to have a little variety in my typical fitness routine.

Swam in a nice lake for a bit on Sunday, and got a run in. Went 7 miles in a little over an hour along the Appalachian Trail, would have ran farther, but the trail got very runner unfriendly and I turned back. I also didn't want to come across any more wildlife, especially running and not making much noise. I ran along a mountain ridge with a river off one side and a nice valley off the other. Was one of the more scenic runs I've had. I just had to keep my head up and down at the same time and it was tiring.

#614- 7 mi
#615- 4 mi after 60 mi bike
#616- 11 mi after 3000 yd swim workout (had about a 30 minute break)

2014-07-02 8:34 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Good race Ron, and nice vacation, Rich.

Thursday - #333 - 2 miles
Friday - #334 - 2 miles
Saturday - #335 - 3.1 miles in a race
Sunday - #336 - 2 miles
Monday - #337 - 2 miles
Tuesday - #338 - 2 miles

I was not at all happy with the run portion of my race. Ever since my first race of the year, I've been slower. Both of the races I have done after that, I've been a full minute slower in the 5K and both of those run courses should have been easier. I'm dealing with a nagging hamstring, and I guess I should say that Saturday's race was probably a combination of factors. It was hot and humid right away on Sat. I went out strong in the swim, coming out of the water as the 4th male. I tried to really push the bike, as I had just got some new aero wheels and race tires and wanted to see what I could do. I felt like I was absolutely flying on the way out, but then as soon as I hit the turnaround, realized the wind was going to be an obstacle. A couple of guys caught me on the way back, which pissed me off, so I hammered a little harder on the bike to get past them again. We played leapfrog a few times before I finally let them get in front of me for good in the last mile or so. Then I went out on the run and my legs were just wasted. I was about where I thought I should be for the first mile, but my speed actually declined over the next two miles. I'm used to usually increasing speed through the rest of the race instead of slowing down. I think the heat and the hammering on the bike had torched my legs. I watched helplessly as a bunch of guys got me on the last mile.

Still ended up finishing 2nd in my AG, and 18th overall. I wouldn't have won the AG even if my run was where I think it should have been, but I would've been top 10 overall at least. Frustrating.

I don't know what to do at this point. I've reduced my volumes considerably. I've cut some of the intensity in order to let my legs feel fresh. The tight hamstring doesn't seem to want to go away, and even my easy runs are starting to feel tougher.

Tell me it comes back around?
2014-07-02 11:24 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Friday - #334 - 2 miles
Sunday - #336 - 2 miles
Monday - #337 - 2 miles
Tuesday - #338 - 2 miles

I was not at all happy with the run portion of my race. Ever since my first race of the year, I've been slower. Both of the races I have done after that, I've been a full minute slower in the 5K and both of those run courses should have been easier. I'm dealing with a nagging hamstring, and I guess I should say that Saturday's race was probably a combination of factors. It was hot and humid right away on Sat. I went out strong in the swim, coming out of the water as the 4th male. I tried to really push the bike, as I had just got some new aero wheels and race tires and wanted to see what I could do. I felt like I was absolutely flying on the way out, but then as soon as I hit the turnaround, realized the wind was going to be an obstacle. A couple of guys caught me on the way back, which pissed me off, so I hammered a little harder on the bike to get past them again. We played leapfrog a few times before I finally let them get in front of me for good in the last mile or so. Then I went out on the run and my legs were just wasted. I was about where I thought I should be for the first mile, but my speed actually declined over the next two miles. I'm used to usually increasing speed through the rest of the race instead of slowing down. I think the heat and the hammering on the bike had torched my legs. I watched helplessly as a bunch of guys got me on the last mile.

Still ended up finishing 2nd in my AG, and 18th overall. I wouldn't have won the AG even if my run was where I think it should have been, but I would've been top 10 overall at least. Frustrating.

I don't know what to do at this point. I've reduced my volumes considerably. I've cut some of the intensity in order to let my legs feel fresh. The tight hamstring doesn't seem to want to go away, and even my easy runs are starting to feel tougher.

Brad first off nice race and do not be too hard on yourself, I know easier said than done.

Anything can happen race day to effect the outcome, heat, humidity, fueling, rest of lack of or just a bad day. It happens to us all, I usually try to step back for a day or two after a race and then go over the data to see where things went well and not so well. After that I develop a plan to try and correct it for the next race, that does not always work but I do not let it frustrate me, I enjoy racing, but I let it make my determination go up to train harder and smarter sometimes to get where I want to be. I have been chasing the 3:20 marathon and 1:35 half for almost two years now and have not caught them. I know with proper training and rest I can get there and there is my problem, I like to race too much to get the proper recovery to get me to my goals and I know it. I am just not smart enough to stop signing up for races.

I have gone through stretches of a couple of weeks that I just felt terrible during every run, It has eventually gotten better every time. I fight a hamstring all the time, I use a foam roller and I also get it worked out by setting on a tennis ball and rolling it out with that. When it starts to get real bad I have a compression sleeve for my upper leg and I wear that when I am not running and I wear compression shorts when running. It gets me back to feeling good for a while. I have also used a 2 liter bottle as a roller, fill it up with water and freeze it, you get the benefit of the ice and rolling at the same time and it feels great.
2014-07-02 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by navbtcret

Friday - #334 - 2 miles
Sunday - #336 - 2 miles
Monday - #337 - 2 miles
Tuesday - #338 - 2 miles

Brad first off nice race and do not be too hard on yourself, I know easier said than done.

Anything can happen race day to effect the outcome, heat, humidity, fueling, rest of lack of or just a bad day. It happens to us all, I usually try to step back for a day or two after a race and then go over the data to see where things went well and not so well. After that I develop a plan to try and correct it for the next race, that does not always work but I do not let it frustrate me, I enjoy racing, but I let it make my determination go up to train harder and smarter sometimes to get where I want to be. I have been chasing the 3:20 marathon and 1:35 half for almost two years now and have not caught them. I know with proper training and rest I can get there and there is my problem, I like to race too much to get the proper recovery to get me to my goals and I know it. I am just not smart enough to stop signing up for races.

I have gone through stretches of a couple of weeks that I just felt terrible during every run, It has eventually gotten better every time. I fight a hamstring all the time, I use a foam roller and I also get it worked out by setting on a tennis ball and rolling it out with that. When it starts to get real bad I have a compression sleeve for my upper leg and I wear that when I am not running and I wear compression shorts when running. It gets me back to feeling good for a while. I have also used a 2 liter bottle as a roller, fill it up with water and freeze it, you get the benefit of the ice and rolling at the same time and it feels great.

Ron, good advice. I appreciate it. It's just been a frustrating month or so for me, which I am sure everyone has gone through. I definitely want to rededicate myself to training harder, but a little bit afraid to do that with nagging injuries. My goals are pretty modest right now, I'd like to drop my triathlon 5K under 24 minutes this summer (first tri was 24:30, and my standalone 5K a few weeks before that was 23:20). It's just frustrating when seeing my results going the opposite direction.

I'll spend a little more time on the rolling out and such so I can try to put some more effort into speed work. I know I need more bricks, too. I've been obviously running and biking on the same days (can't help it when you have a near yearlong streak!), but I haven't been frequent enough on doing them directly back to back.
2014-07-02 4:31 PM

User image

Day 952, 8.6 very muggy miles.
2014-07-03 7:55 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Wednesday - #339 - 3 miles on the treadmill after a swim

2014-07-03 4:42 PM

User image

Day 953, 12.6 miles.
2014-07-03 9:17 PM

Friday - #334 - 2 miles
Sunday - #336 - 2 miles
Monday - #337 - 2 miles
Tuesday - #338 - 2 miles

At least it sounds like you know why your race didn't end up as planned. You pushed the bike too hard in tough conditions.

Dropping run intensity to let the hamstring heal is not a bad idea, but you are going to lose some fitness with it. If your hamstring feels good on the bike, I would shift some focus to there, and it will allow you to run closer to your potential during races. And as far as genuine intensity, I would save that exclusively for the pool for now.

Hamstring injuries tend to be nagging and take forever to go away. One thing you want to consider is if you have any muscle imbalances. If the hamstrings are significantly weaker than the quads, or if you have significant right to left imbalance, it can cause recurrent hamstring injuries. Rolling and light stretching for now is good if it is really bothering you, but if you can do some light strength training it may help.
2014-07-03 9:26 PM

#617- 2 mi after brutal 100 mile ride, 5500 ft elevation gain, some tough steep climbs mixed in, and 95 degree heat and humidity that took a lot out of me.

#618- 2 mi after 2500 yd swim. I was going for 3000 yards, but pretty much called it a day at about 1200 yards with my planned workout. I did some easy repeats focusing on form, and a bit of work with the pull buoy. I was toast, almost literally, after yesterday.
2014-07-03 9:41 PM

Brad,

I also had another thought. You mentioned wanting to do more bricks. I've not done many real bricks during my IM training this year. Last year, I would do these long rides and run for an hour afterwards on dead legs. Based on personal experience, and also from what I've read written by some people I think are pretty wise, I've come to some conclusions:

I believe that short bike to run transitions can be helpful to teach your muscles to convert from one activity to the other, but at least from my experience, I don't think I gained much fitness from those plodding runs after my rides, and I feel it definitely made me more prone to injury running often on very fatigued legs.

I rather do two separate quality workouts, morning and evening (if schedule permits). You are going to run much better refueled and with a few hours of recovery. You can push your body harder, and be less prone to injury.

If you know you can do the distance for your races, then you don't need the confidence by doing the workouts back to back. The way I see it, is that if you want to be a better runner, train smart, and do smart running workouts. Shuffling after a hard ride doesn't seem like a smart training session to me if you are trying to be a better runner. I think the time is better spent doing an actual running workout.

2014-07-03 9:44 PM
in reply to: 0

---

Edited by ImSore 2014-07-03 9:45 PM

2014-07-04 3:57 AM

User image

Happy Birthday America. I hope everyone has a great holiday.

Day 954, 6 early morning miles before the sun is up. I love running in the dark with my headlamp.
2014-07-05 7:40 PM

#619 - 16 mi on tired legs.
#620- 4 mi after hard 90 minutes on bike

Hope everyone had a good 4th,
2014-07-05 7:48 PM

User image

Day 955, 8.2 mile progressive run.
2014-07-06 1:44 PM

User image

Day 956, 18 hilly trail mile today.
2014-07-06 8:47 PM

#621 - 6.2 mi threshold

2014-07-07 11:33 AM

User image

Day 957, 9.5 recovery miles.
2014-07-07 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Thursday - #340 - 2 miles
Friday - #341 - 2 miles
Saturday - #342 - 3 miles
Sunday - #343 - 2 miles
2014-07-07 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Run #46
2014-07-07 10:09 PM
in reply to: Lumber Dad

#622- 5 km run after 100 km bike, went metric today
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  

of 181