Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 181

2014-08-18 8:20 PM
in reply to: ImSore

Subject: RE: 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us?
#662- 2 mi run after 20 min ride/bike check
#663- 26.2 mi run after 112 mi bike after 2.4 mi swim (IMMT)
#664- 2 mi run, IT band on right leg very stiff, managed a 11:30 mi followed by a 11 min mi, stiffness worked itself out a bit

Ron, by my count you should be at run 1000 tomorrow. Hope you are still at it. Both you and Brad, hope you get your injuries sorted out. Health is obviously more important than the streak, but it would be nice to see you both stay at it.

IMMT went almost as well as I wanted. I made a few decisions that hurt my overall time, but I came in very close to what I wanted. 10:37:13 was my finish time with a 3:35 marathon. My swim went as expected, my transitions went better than expected. I overhydrated on the bike, it was pretty cool, and I drank normally, when I should have cut back a bit. It was a gamble though, because once you fall behind on fluids, its really hard to catch up, and it was supposed to get warmer as the day went on. I had to make 4 port-o-john stops on the bike, and 2 on the run and lost quite a bit of time. With all the extra fluids my salt got low, and I didn't figure it out until I started really struggling on the second loop of the run. Soon as I started taking my salt on the run I felt much better, and got my pace back down, but I probably lost 3 or 4 minutes over a few miles.

I think I had the fitness to go sub 10:30, just not the experience. Overall I am happy with my performance. And it is actually very encouraging, because I see ALOT of areas for improvement.

2014-08-18 11:01 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Originally posted by ImSore

#664- 2 mi run, IT band on right leg very stiff, managed a 11:30 mi followed by a 11 min mi, stiffness worked itself out a bit

Ron, by my count you should be at run 1000 tomorrow. Hope you are still at it. Both you and Brad, hope you get your injuries sorted out. Health is obviously more important than the streak, but it would be nice to see you both stay at it.

IMMT went almost as well as I wanted. I made a few decisions that hurt my overall time, but I came in very close to what I wanted. 10:37:13 was my finish time with a 3:35 marathon. My swim went as expected, my transitions went better than expected. I overhydrated on the bike, it was pretty cool, and I drank normally, when I should have cut back a bit. It was a gamble though, because once you fall behind on fluids, its really hard to catch up, and it was supposed to get warmer as the day went on. I had to make 4 port-o-john stops on the bike, and 2 on the run and lost quite a bit of time. With all the extra fluids my salt got low, and I didn't figure it out until I started really struggling on the second loop of the run. Soon as I started taking my salt on the run I felt much better, and got my pace back down, but I probably lost 3 or 4 minutes over a few miles.

I think I had the fitness to go sub 10:30, just not the experience. Overall I am happy with my performance. And it is actually very encouraging, because I see ALOT of areas for improvement.
Rich - amazing race. Hope you're feeling okay and recovering quickly!

I'll keep running until it's time to stop. At this point, I'm not going to give it up without a fight.
2014-08-19 6:31 AM

User image

Rich, Congrats on a great race, and marathon time as well. I am still at it and yes today will be day 1000 when I do run. I am going for treatment on my leg first this morning and then hitting the pavement. My 100 miler may be in jeopardy though. I did 6 miles Sunday and then went out for 6 yesterday. I got 2 miles into it and the leg was screaming at me so I turned and headed home.. At the 3.5 mile mark I walked the rest of the way. I have two and a half weeks before the 100 to get better. If I do no make the starting line it will not be the end of the world. At least I am still lucky enough to run every day even if it is not the mileage I would like. Brad if I do make it to the starting line the 100 is up your way in Hell, Michigan, the Hallucination 100. I may go to the regular doctor and get a cortisone injection into the leg to see if that helps.
2014-08-19 1:53 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Rich Great job on IMMT! Great marathon time! Must be all that running.

Great job on making it to 1000 Ron. Sure hope you can make your 100, I think they let you drop down to the 50.

Brad, have you ever done the Dance with dirt in Hell? I did the 1/2 marathon in Baraboo, they put on a tough course.
2014-08-20 8:51 PM

Thanks all. Put up a race report if anyone interested.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Ron, congrats on 1000 consecutive runs. I guess 3 years is the next milestone? Hope your leg is healing up.

#665- 2 mi - right IT band still stiff, but ran pretty comfortably at about 9 min/mi pace
#666- 2 mi - kept it short again, but felt great, I could have easily kept going. I thought about it as I got back that I had only 2 recovery days since a full IM, and besides some stiffness with the IT band (which really started during my peak IM training) most of the muscle soreness is gone.

I plan on laying off any sort of intensity over the next 2 weeks as I build my volume back up, then it's marathon training time. Got the NYC marathon and would love to manage sub-3. I am concerned about crowds early in the race being in my way and having me have to play catch up, but I will train with a goal of averaging 6:40s min/mi.

I am going to try the Hansons Marathon Method. I feel that I have good base endurance, but need to build up my speed and there is more threshold work and hard intervals in those plans with a bit less volume. I should have a solid 7 weeks of hard training. Not much time really. Will do what I can!
2014-08-22 6:52 PM

User image

Day 1003, 6.2 miles. I have done 6 miles the last two days with just some mild discomfort. I am feeling good about making it to the start of the 100 miler, just not so sure the leg will hold up for the distance. I will not leave the course as long as I can walk but if I have to crawl or walk with assistance then it will be time for me to tap out. Hopefully it'll continue to improve. I have two more weeks and do not plan to run over 10 miles any day prior to the race. The other day when I did my 10 miler on day 1000 I did it at a pretty fast pace and the leg held up during and after so it gives me hope.

2014-08-22 8:58 PM

#667 -4 mi after 45 min swim
#668 - 4 mi after 40 min on the bike

Feeling strong. My muscles feel pretty recovered. I have some lingering issues from training still though. Hoping to work them out and will resist the temptation of shortening my recovery period.
2014-08-24 6:44 PM

User image

Day1005, 8.3 miles today and yesterday as well. I have a little discomfort yet in the leg but It is improving. I go for treatment on it tomorrow morning and another massage Tuesday morning. It is a lot of work to get this half bust body back into shape for running but I am lucky, I am still running every day.
2014-08-24 9:38 PM

#669- 2 early miles, overnight canoeing/camping trip
#670- 4 mi , still should be laying off any intensity, but I just wanted to "feel" my marathon pace for 1/2 mile. Feels fast. Only 20 miles running this week, this coming week hopefully I will be comfortable at 40, but I will play it by ear. Taking it easy another week would probably be wise and give me a better chance of making it through my training plan.
2014-08-25 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Monday - #386 - 2 miles
Tuesday - #387 - 2 miles
Wednesday - #388 - 2 miles
Thursday - #389 - 2 miles
Friday - #390 - 2 miles
Saturday - #391 - 2 miles
Sunday - #392 - 3.1 miles in a race. 3rd in my AG, 18th overall.

Still feeling a bit limited by the hamstring. Hoping it will ease up this week a little.

Race was good, but not great. It's frustrating to be a mediocre runner when doing triathlons. I was #12 overall out of the water (#3 in my wave of 40 and over), and that was all pretty tight. I was #15 overall in the bike, and I've been slower this year on the bike than in general. Frustrating then to see that I finished #81 in the run portion!! Ugh. I'm going to keep at the running because that's where I can really gain.
2014-08-26 8:05 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Monday - #393 - 2 miles in some very high humidity right before the last organized bike Time Trial of the year. There was no wind whatsoever, so I managed to set about a 30 second PR in the TT despite having fairly dead legs.

2014-08-26 9:19 PM

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Monday - #386 - 2 miles
Tuesday - #387 - 2 miles
Friday - #390 - 2 miles

Still feeling a bit limited by the hamstring. Hoping it will ease up this week a little.

Race was good, but not great. It's frustrating to be a mediocre runner when doing triathlons. I was #12 overall out of the water (#3 in my wave of 40 and over), and that was all pretty tight. I was #15 overall in the bike, and I've been slower this year on the bike than in general. Frustrating then to see that I finished #81 in the run portion!! Ugh. I'm going to keep at the running because that's where I can really gain.

Nice race. Congrats on the AG placing. I have the exact opposite problem. I come out of the water late, struggle trying to bike around slower people, and am too far behind to catch up to the fast pack. I gain more ground on the run, but still cant catch the better AGers in most races since I lose so much time on the swim.

At IMMT I was ranked 1038 coming out of the water, and finished 195 overall. Only two people who came out of the water slower than me managed a faster overall time.

That said. I am trying to fix my swimming issue. I've been working on technique the last few sessions. Then after my run focus I am going to try to put in ALOT of yards provided my body holds up to it.

#671 - 3.1 mi
#672 - 7 mi, 60 min swim earlier.

2014-08-28 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Monday - #386 - 2 miles
Tuesday - #387 - 2 miles
Friday - #390 - 2 miles

Nice race. Congrats on the AG placing. I have the exact opposite problem. I come out of the water late, struggle trying to bike around slower people, and am too far behind to catch up to the fast pack. I gain more ground on the run, but still cant catch the better AGers in most races since I lose so much time on the swim.

At IMMT I was ranked 1038 coming out of the water, and finished 195 overall. Only two people who came out of the water slower than me managed a faster overall time.

That said. I am trying to fix my swimming issue. I've been working on technique the last few sessions. Then after my run focus I am going to try to put in ALOT of yards provided my body holds up to it.

#671 - 3.1 mi

Have you ever done a swim block in your offseason where you swim 5x per week for an entire month? And when you do swim, do you do long constant speed sets or do you vary it up a bit?

Yep, we are exactly the opposite. There is usually no one who finishes ahead of me or even close to me who has a slower run than me.

Tuesday - #394 - 6 miles, and then 2Ky in the pool
Wednesday - #395 - 2 miles after a 1:30 bike
2014-08-28 8:57 PM

Monday - #386 - 2 miles
Tuesday - #387 - 2 miles
Friday - #390 - 2 miles

#671 - 3.1 mi

Have you ever done a swim block in your offseason where you swim 5x per week for an entire month? And when you do swim, do you do long constant speed sets or do you vary it up a bit?

Yep, we are exactly the opposite. There is usually no one who finishes ahead of me or even close to me who has a slower run than me.

Tuesday - #394 - 6 miles, and then 2Ky in the pool
Wednesday - #395 - 2 miles after a 1:30 bike

I plan on doing a swim block starting in mid December. I will ramp up my run over the next 2 months and do my marathon, then a 50 miler 3 weeks later. Then take 4 weeks off, then do a large swim block for about 4 to 6 weeks of as much volume as I can handle, then I'm not sure. I'd like to do a tough bike block, but I'll need to be running if I do Boston.

For the last week and a half, my swims have been pretty unstructured. But I usually do something like this: 300 yd warm up. 25 x 8 hard with about 10 sec recovery. Then 500 yd of some sort of drill or strength building. I did a bunch of kick sets early in my IM training (I really am terrible at kicking), then switched over to 50 yd repeats using paddles to try to strengthen my pull. My main set varied from about 1500 to 3000 yards depending on where I was at in my IM training. Usually it was some combination of 50 to 200 yard repeats on a consistent send off, roughly 10 seconds rest. My cool down was usually 200 yd easy.

I am working on a few technique issues. I really cant breathe to my left side. I swallow water and lose form. I have been forcing myself to breathe left every other length. I guess is getting a little better, but I am still awkward, and have a significantly weaker pull with my left arm. I know I should be keeping my elbow higher than I do, as I fatigue I will start dropping my elbows. I've managed to get decent position in the water (head down, hips up), and don't have the leg sinking issue as much as I used to. My kick though, is pretty much for show only, I get no real propulsion out of it. I've actually discovered one problem with my kick. I was forcing my toes straight, actively pointing them, and I would get pretty bad calf cramps after awhile. Just recently I've learned to relax my ankles and am getting more of a "flipper" effect out of them. I'm going to start taking some videos to confirm what I "think" is going on, but either way, my swim needs a lot of work.

#673- 4 mi
#674 - 2 mi after 45 min bike, 60 min swim earlier
2014-08-31 9:19 PM

#675-10.5 mi. Ran fast. Too fast. Last couple of miles my calf started feeling weird. Woke up the next morning limping.

#676- 2 mi slow, limping, second mile a bit better, averaged about 10 min/mi

#677 - 2 mi. A bit better. Can walk without limping now.

I really wanted to take it easy for 2 weeks after the IM. I figured that I was close enough 9 days out or so. Oh well, maybe by next time I'll have learned.
2014-09-01 2:37 AM

User image

When I run today it'll be day 1013. I am feeling about 75% better is all and less than a week from my upcoming 100 miler. I have a feeling I maybe heading for my first DNF. I think I am mentally prepared for that but we'll see. As long as I can still crawl I will keep moving. They let you drop down and get credit for a shorter finish if you do not make the 100 miles but I do not want that, it is either 100 miles or DNF. I am going to out at a sub 20 hour pace too, why hold anything back. Who knows maybe I will surprise myself.

Rich I understand how you are feeling, I almost always do the same thing after a race. I am feeling better so lets just run harder instead of following the plan. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I liked you RR as well.

2014-09-01 9:53 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Thursday - #396 - 4 miles after 2500y in the pool
Friday - #397 - 2 miles very early before 18 holes and then the first MSU tailgate of the year
Saturday - #398 - 2 miles
Sunday - #399 - 2 very hot and humid miles
Monday - #400 - 2 miles

2014-09-01 11:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
I'm in on this too. Doing a run everyday in September; today was a1hr run. Hopefully I can keep up the commitment, sometimes I let myself get too busy.
2014-09-02 11:23 AM

Originally posted by navbtcret

When I run today it'll be day 1013. I am feeling about 75% better is all and less than a week from my upcoming 100 miler. I have a feeling I maybe heading for my first DNF. I think I am mentally prepared for that but we'll see. As long as I can still crawl I will keep moving. They let you drop down and get credit for a shorter finish if you do not make the 100 miles but I do not want that, it is either 100 miles or DNF. I am going to out at a sub 20 hour pace too, why hold anything back. Who knows maybe I will surprise myself.

Rich I understand how you are feeling, I almost always do the same thing after a race. I am feeling better so lets just run harder instead of following the plan. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I liked you RR as well.

You're right you might surprise yourself. As long as the injury is truly healed up you have the benefit of LOTS of base miles to run on despite the recent setback. I would probably not push through a real injury on the course though. There are always other races, and a DNF is better than being laid up for months with a serious injury.

# 678- 2 miles again after a solid 60 minute ride. Nice new stretch of blacktop near my house too, FAST riding.

#679- 5 miles. Tested myself. Ran my recovery/easy pace and felt no pain. Will probably try to keep upping the miles as the week goes on and see how I feel. I'll make a promise to myself to be honest and hold back if I have to. Oh, and that nice new stretch of blacktop which was so nice to ride on, HOT to run on. Must have been 10 or 15 degrees hotter on that stretch, and its plenty hot out there already.
2014-09-02 11:25 AM
in reply to: tryin2tri

Originally posted by tryin2tri

I'm in on this too. Doing a run everyday in September; today was a1hr run. Hopefully I can keep up the commitment, sometimes I let myself get too busy.

Welcome. The last few people who decided to jump in never made it the 30 days. I hope that motivates you.

Also "sometimes I let myself get too busy" sounds like you are making excuses already! I hope that motivates you too
2014-09-02 9:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Run #103

Thought I could get one race in this year. Looks like the best chance I have is the Madison Marathon in November.

2014-09-02 9:07 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Tuesday - #401 - 7 miles
2014-09-03 9:12 PM

#680- 5 mi tempo run brick with solid 60 minute ride prior.
2014-09-03 9:18 PM
in reply to: Lumber Dad

Originally posted by Lumber Dad

Run #103

Thought I could get one race in this year. Looks like the best chance I have is the Madison Marathon in November.

Streak back over 100 days, nice! Hope your son is doing well.

I'd say go for it and do the marathon if possible, you run every other day anyhow, that one run will just be more fun.
2014-09-03 10:21 PM

User image

Day 1015, 2 miles.

Against better judgment I am off for Michigan in the morning and I am going to attempt the Hallucination 100 starting this Friday. I choose this race for a reason. I have not gotten myself anything for my birthday ever that I remember and this race which starts Friday afternoon 5 Sept is my birthday. I turn 52 Friday so I have to give it my best shot. I am still going to shoot for a sub 20 hours finish too but I may have to forgo that early on so I can hope to finish.

I will do an easy 2 miles when I get into Ann Arbor tomorrow afternoon to stretch the legs out from driving. I am staying there for the evening and then camping at the race site for the weekend so I am not sure if I will be able to post anything up until Sunday or Monday. Depends on cell reception.

Good work everyone keeping the streaks going, I know I have been giving some serious thought to ending mine because of the hip and leg and I still might. It is more important for me to be able to continue to run in the future than to keep the running streak alive. Besides I can always start another one, hopefully I can get this all worked out though.

One thing I did learn this time around is I will LISTEN to my body next time something starts acting up instead of just pushing it harder, I am no spring chicken.

LumberDad way to keep the new streak going. Hope all is progressing well with your son's recovery.
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  

of 181