Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 181

2014-09-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: RE: 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us?
Run #123

2014-09-22 2:57 PM
in reply to: Lumber Dad

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Just gotta say... it is seriously cool to see this thread still running.

2014-09-22 3:54 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

New user
#19. 4 miles
#20. 2.1
#21. 10
#22. 5

Question for you guys with marathon experience. I am in my second year of running and did my first marathon this spring. I followed the training plan meticulously and it was a great experience. This time around I have come up short on the last three long runs due to work and a leg infection (cellulitis). It didn't keep me from running but I have been way more tired. I am also training for a century ride 3 weeks before my marathon and I guess along with my brief running history and recent complications I am trying to do too much.

So I did 10/12 instead of 2 16's and 10 instead of 18. I did get two14 milers in as planned. This weekend I am cutting my ride from 80 to 35 or so and I have a 20 miler long run Saturday.

Should I be concerned about abbreviating 3 of my long runs as long as I get the rest in as planned?

Thanks for any thoughts you guys can share.
2014-09-22 10:08 PM
in reply to: cgregg

Originally posted by cgregg

Just gotta say... it is seriously cool to see this thread still running.

Pun intended?

Pretty surprised I've stuck it out this long. Hope it keeps going, knowing others are getting their streak runs in gives me a bit more push on those days where I REALLY don't want to head out.

#696- 17 mi, hilly

#697- 2 mi, recovery day

#698- 11 mi progression then held 8 miles under marathon pace (avg 06:42 min/mi)

2014-09-22 10:28 PM
in reply to: Chunga

Originally posted by Chunga

#19. 4 miles
#20. 2.1
#21. 10
#22. 5

Question for you guys with marathon experience. I am in my second year of running and did my first marathon this spring. I followed the training plan meticulously and it was a great experience. This time around I have come up short on the last three long runs due to work and a leg infection (cellulitis). It didn't keep me from running but I have been way more tired. I am also training for a century ride 3 weeks before my marathon and I guess along with my brief running history and recent complications I am trying to do too much.

So I did 10/12 instead of 2 16's and 10 instead of 18. I did get two14 milers in as planned. This weekend I am cutting my ride from 80 to 35 or so and I have a 20 miler long run Saturday.

Should I be concerned about abbreviating 3 of my long runs as long as I get the rest in as planned?

Thanks for any thoughts you guys can share.

You don't HAVE to run 20 miles in training for marathon training. There is nothing magic in that number, it is more for confidence than anything.

What has your average weekly mileage been for each of the last 4 weeks or so? (You've been posting for the last 3 and I could probably figure it out, but I'm too lazy!) You want your long run to be roughly 25 - 30 % of your total mileage as a general rule of thumb.

Also, how long time wise does it take you to run 14 miles? If you are in the 2 to 3 hour range, that is good for a "long run." I wouldn't run over 3 hours, closer to 2.5 hours is probably ideal. Runs longer than 3 hours take too long to recover from.

The long run is an important part of marathon training, but it is just a part. I wouldn't be concerned provided you are getting the rest of your training done as planned, especially if time wise, you are going over 2 hours on the long runs you have done.
2014-09-23 8:40 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

New user

You don't HAVE to run 20 miles in training for marathon training. There is nothing magic in that number, it is more for confidence than anything.

What has your average weekly mileage been for each of the last 4 weeks or so? (You've been posting for the last 3 and I could probably figure it out, but I'm too lazy!) You want your long run to be roughly 25 - 30 % of your total mileage as a general rule of thumb.

Also, how long time wise does it take you to run 14 miles? If you are in the 2 to 3 hour range, that is good for a "long run." I wouldn't run over 3 hours, closer to 2.5 hours is probably ideal. Runs longer than 3 hours take too long to recover from.

The long run is an important part of marathon training, but it is just a part. I wouldn't be concerned provided you are getting the rest of your training done as planned, especially if time wise, you are going over 2 hours on the long runs you have done.

It takes me between 2-3 hours to do 12 or 14. I have done this a number of times the last 5 weeks. My average weekly total for the last four weeks has been 36 miles. I also walk my dogs every day so another 30-40 minutes on my feet for that if that matters.

20 miles will take me almost four hours, my marathon time was 4:50. Thank you for your input, I may be relying too rigidly on my plan.

2014-09-23 12:35 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Monday - #421 - 2 miles

Had the best intentions of trying a 10-11 miler. Unfortunately, had a new washer and drier delivered, and I spent the evening running around grabbing parts to adapt the existing gas tube from the shutoff to the drier, and finally got that finished around 9PM, so I ran out of time for a long one. Will try it out tonight again, provided it isn't overly hot.
2014-09-24 7:14 PM

#699 - 5 mi, nice cool run at night

#700- 10 mi hills again!

Also got my registration confirmation for the 2015 Boston Marathon, booked the hotels, and am pretty excited already.
2014-09-24 8:38 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by ImSore

#700- 10 mi hills again!

Also got my registration confirmation for the 2015 Boston Marathon, booked the hotels, and am pretty excited already.

That is Very exciting! And impressive! Is this your first BM?

# 23 5 mi in a local park after work, did a new route at the park
# 24 3 mi in my neighborhood after warming up by walking both my dogs, cool lovely night! Great to be outside moving.

Mary
2014-09-25 8:37 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Tuesday - #422 - Fell apart on what was supposed to be an 11 mile run. Ended up with about 5,
Wednesday - #423 - 2 miles after 1300y in the pool. Got cut off from finishing my swim workout by the water aerobics class. Grrrr.
2014-09-25 7:17 PM

Chunga,

Yes its my first Boston. I am also running my first NYC marathon as well in about 5 1/2 weeks. So I am generally pretty excited about running in general right now. To be honest, its hard to fit in any swim/bike, and I've really dropped off over the last 3 weeks. My running has been great though. Some aches and pains, but nothing keeping me from running hard in training. And the weather has been just awesome for running.

#701- 8.25 mi with 5 x 1 mi intervals at 6:31, 6:31, 6:27, 6:23, 6:15 with 1/4 mile jog recovery at 10 min/mi.

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Tuesday - #422 - Fell apart on what was supposed to be an 11 mile run. Ended up with about 5,
Wednesday - #423 - 2 miles after 1300y in the pool. Got cut off from finishing my swim workout by the water aerobics class. Grrrr.

When you say "fell apart," what is happening? Start too fast? Cramp? Pain? Overly fatigued? Or just one of those random bad days that you can't figure out what went wrong?

2014-09-26 7:54 AM

User image

#700- 10 mi hills again!

Congrats on Boston, if you want any training tips for the course or info feel free to asked. I know you will have a great time there.
2014-09-26 11:46 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

When you say "fell apart," what is happening? Start too fast? Cramp? Pain? Overly fatigued? Or just one of those random bad days that you can't figure out what went wrong?

On Wednesday, I didn't really take off too fast in my mind, but... I had a couple of issues. The weather here was much warmer than the previous few days, so even though I felt like I dialed back the speed to start with, I was probably out a little faster than I intended. I tried to back down a bit after a couple of miles, but I didn't see to come back to normal and started to feel really fatigued. I made a mental choice that I was going to do my 6 mile course twice (with a 1 mile shortcut to bring it down to 11 on the second lap). I think about 3 miles out, I must've just been beat mentally, thinking about 2 laps. The other factor was that my plantar fascitis is starting to flare up. It started to be painful with each pounding step. I was just taken out of the whole thing, felt defeated.

Same thing happened last night for the most part. I went out to try the 11-12 again. Due to some warm weather, I made very very sure to run at a lower effort level. I ran almost 4 miles up to the cemetery where my dad's grave is to stop and see him for a few minutes. I then took off to try to complete the rest of my run. The PF issues started to really bug me again about 1.5 miles later. I did some run/walk combos until about 8 miles, but it just defeated me mentally. I ended up walking most of the way home, and took my shortcut again to get home in ~10 miles since I was pretty much toast.

Very frustrating, and very concerning for that HM in a few weeks. I'm going to go light for a few days, and probably go replace my running shoes. They are a little too old, and might be exacerbating the PF issue. I generally buy the same exact pair of Brooks, so hopefully the break in time won't be too bad.

Thursday - #424 - 10 miles including a little too much run/walk
2014-09-26 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user

On Wednesday, I didn't really take off too fast in my mind, but... I had a couple of issues. The weather here was much warmer than the previous few days, so even though I felt like I dialed back the speed to start with, I was probably out a little faster than I intended. I tried to back down a bit after a couple of miles, but I didn't see to come back to normal and started to feel really fatigued. I made a mental choice that I was going to do my 6 mile course twice (with a 1 mile shortcut to bring it down to 11 on the second lap). I think about 3 miles out, I must've just been beat mentally, thinking about 2 laps. The other factor was that my plantar fascitis is starting to flare up. It started to be painful with each pounding step. I was just taken out of the whole thing, felt defeated.

Same thing happened last night for the most part. I went out to try the 11-12 again. Due to some warm weather, I made very very sure to run at a lower effort level. I ran almost 4 miles up to the cemetery where my dad's grave is to stop and see him for a few minutes. I then took off to try to complete the rest of my run. The PF issues started to really bug me again about 1.5 miles later. I did some run/walk combos until about 8 miles, but it just defeated me mentally. I ended up walking most of the way home, and took my shortcut again to get home in ~10 miles since I was pretty much toast.

Very frustrating, and very concerning for that HM in a few weeks. I'm going to go light for a few days, and probably go replace my running shoes. They are a little too old, and might be exacerbating the PF issue. I generally buy the same exact pair of Brooks, so hopefully the break in time won't be too bad.

Thursday - #424 - 10 miles including a little too much run/walk

Brad,
I read through all of this and as I was reading I was trying to think of some encouragement to offer you.
Then I read the last line and thought to myself, he wrote his own encouragement!

Thursday - #424 - 10 miles. Freaking WOW!
Think of the mental fortitude, determination, physical blessing, muscular ability, daily drive, creativity that it takes to put together a streak that long! Think of how many people you have seen come into this forum who didn't make 30 days doing this yet something in you has you to 424! All of those something's will get you through this temporary challenge.
Soon, maybe today maybe tomorrow you will have one of those runs that just seem lighter, brighter, your legs just seem to be churning with ease and you don't want to stop at your planned miles for the day!

I will look forward to reading about your next run like that!

Mary

Edited by Chunga 2014-09-26 1:20 PM
2014-09-28 8:35 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

Originally posted by navbtcret

#700- 10 mi hills again!

Congrats on Boston, if you want any training tips for the course or info feel free to asked. I know you will have a great time there.

Right now I am focused on New York, so if you've done that, and have advice, I am all ears!!

I am probably very close to a 3 hour marathon based on my training. And its so close that I feel that any little thing can push me under or over. First, I am hoping for good weather. Last year, from what I heard it was cold and windy. Outside of that, I am concerned about the early crowds and expending too much energy getting around people trying to hold my pace since I REALLY don't want to have to try to make up time later. And other than that, I am concerned about how much energy I will have to take on the hills in the last few miles through the park. I've been hitting the hills pretty hard in training, but I will be toast by the time I get to them and really am just hoping that I don't have any cramping issues (which is usually my limiter) and that the crowds can push me through.

As far as Boston goes, right now, I am looking at it as a victory lap. I just want to get out there and take in the sights and sounds. But then again, I am sure as I get closer, my competitive nature will kick in and I will want to kill it, so I'll probably get back to you!

Hope your recovery is going well and that you are finding enough to do to keep your sanity.
2014-09-28 8:56 PM

Brad,

Perhaps you can buy a different pair of shoes and work them into a rotation. I am wearing 3 different shoes now. Hoka Stinson Tarmac's, Hoka Cliftons, and Brooks Glycerin. I usually wear the Ghost, but I wanted to try something different. Intuitively I feel like I need to get my feet in a few different shoes just like I try to run on different surfaces, just so I can break out of "patterns" that might lead to injury.

I drank the kool-aid awhile back, and started running in Hokas, and honestly I haven't looked back. Something to consider maybe?

Other than that. I haven't dealt with much PF, but I did have a touch of tightness awhile back. I did a lot of stretching through the day, and since I stand at work a lot, I would take my foot out of my shoe and roll it on something.

I wouldn't worry about a bad run or two as far as your HM goes, just like I wouldn't take a good day or two as a sure sign of success. Just listen to your body and stay healthy and keep plugging away, physically is one thing, but don't let yourself get beat mentally.

2014-09-28 9:04 PM
in reply to: 0

#702- 8 mi

#703- 2 mi recovery

#704- 8 mi with 8 x 100m strides

I had to work today and pushed my long run to tomorrow. I TRIED to get up really early, but when my alarm went off, I really didn't even know what it was. I was just holding it thinking that there was some sort of volume switch that I could use to turn the sound down (there is no such switch and I've been using this same clock for 25 years!!) My wife yelled at me and that SORT OF work me up, just enough to turn the alarm off and fall back to sleep.

Edited by ImSore 2014-09-28 9:05 PM
2014-09-29 8:16 AM

User image

Way to keep it going everyone. I managed 2 run this weekend, the first ones in over three weeks. It was not pretty but I got them done. I went for 6 miles Saturday and 4 miles Sunday. The it band is a little sore but not bad, no hip pain either. I am going to take today off and try another 6 miles tomorrow. I can not believe how much running fitness I have lost in just over 3 weeks. I know it will come back rapidly but it sure does not feel like it now.

Rich I have not run NY so I have no advice on it. When I ran my first Boston it was 90+ degrees that year and I just ran it at a slower pace and took it all in. I high 5'd all the kids, did not worry about running tangents as I was back and forth on each side of the road, I kissed a few gals at the scream tunnel, had two 16oz beers with the boys at Boston College and still managed to bring it in at just under 3:45. It was a great time and I am glad I had sense enough to not try and race it but enjoy it because of the weather.

Brad I hope you are able to work through your PF. Having never had that issue I can offer no advice.
2014-09-30 9:27 PM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

New user
Hello I am at day 30! I made it. I have really enjoyed it and can say there were 3 or 4 days with this that I wouldn't have run if not for this challenge so that was a productive outcome. I find these challenges really motivating so I am going to continue!

#25. 2 miles
#26. 3 miles
#27. 18 miles
#28. 5 miles
#29 2 miles in new Newtons to experiment, got them for $85 runners warehouse
#30. 5 miles in new Asics to break in for Nov 1 Marathon

Hope everyone is enjoying better weather, crunched through fallen leaves tonight on my run-love it!

Mary
2014-10-01 7:46 PM

Hello I am at day 30! I made it. I have really enjoyed it and can say there were 3 or 4 days with this that I wouldn't have run if not for this challenge so that was a productive outcome. I find these challenges really motivating so I am going to continue!

#25. 2 miles
#26. 3 miles
#27. 18 miles
#28. 5 miles
#29 2 miles in new Newtons to experiment, got them for $85 runners warehouse
#30. 5 miles in new Asics to break in for Nov 1 Marathon

Hope everyone is enjoying better weather, crunched through fallen leaves tonight on my run-love it!

Mary

Nice job with the challenge!! Congrats.

Continue at your own risk. The farther I get, the harder it is for me to consider stopping.

On a separate note, I've run in Newtons. I got used to them, but every time I stopped wearing them for awhile I had to get back into "Newton Shape." I remember doing a 13.1 mi training run in then after not having worn them in awhile and strained my calf a bit. I decided that Newtons weren't for me. I'm not so sure of the form benefits, and I'd rather not have to worry about any sort of "adaptation period" with my shoe.

2014-10-01 8:45 PM

#705- 17 mi - hills again. This course is beating me up. Hope it pays off.

#706 - 6.2 mi

#707 - 3.1 mi , tried to do an interval workout today. I warmed up got through one 6:27 minute mile and called it a day. I am pretty disappointed, but I really couldn't get it done today. I set out to do 3 x 2 mi at approx. 6:30. I *SHOULD* be able to get through this workout based on where I believe my fitness is at, but today was not the day.

I am going to get a good nights rest and try again tomorrow. I bumped things up a bit on my schedule to try to free up my weekend since I haven't had time off work in awhile (1 day in the last 2+ weeks) and wanted the day to be free to spend with the family. That 17 mile run took a lot out of me, those hills are killer, I probably needed another easy day.

I compared the course I've been training on to NYC and it is encouraging. My elevation profile looks like I climb the Verrazano Bridge 10 times over 16 miles, so hopefully NYC will seem flat.

The upcoming 2 weeks of training I will give it all I've got. Hopefully I come out in one piece.

Here is the NYC elevation profile. I also pasted in my Garmin data of my course as a comparison. Garmin elevation is questionable, but you can get the idea of what I've been up against! I can tell you that the hills are real, and not easy.

(EP1.png)

Attachments
----------------
EP1.png (728KB - 5 downloads)

2014-10-02 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NICE JOB!!

Brad, I deal with PF on a daily basis, but you probably run more in a week than I do in a month, so my advice is probably not very useful. I keep a lacrosse ball under my computer table and I roll out my feet with that when I'm working. Switching shoes might be helpful.

It's been nice and cool in the morning here, making it a pleasure to run. I know the days of long sleeves are near, and my nasty orange hoody won't be far behind.

#227 - 2.65 miles. I tried to embed a youtube video of the opening credits from the barely remembered sitcom 227, but I failed.
2014-10-02 8:38 AM
in reply to: mrheathen

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Friday - #425 - 2 miles
Saturday - #426 - 2 miles at about 4:45AM
Sunday - #427 - 2 miles
Monday - #428 - 3 miles
Tuesday - #429 - 2 miles
Wednesday - #430 - 5 miles, but a good portion was walking...hamstring was acting up
2014-10-02 9:01 PM

#708- 9 mi

Got the interval workout done. 2 mi warmup, 3 x 2 mi at 6:27 min/mi with 1/4 mi RI at 10:00 min/mi, 0.5 mi cool down

It was challenging, but not impossible. I really just needed that extra day.

Two more hard weeks of training after this one, then I'll do a 2 week taper. I am not really following a plan. I have a general target for miles per week, and am using Hansons Marathon Method and Daniels running formula for a basic structure for the week, as well as a guide to intensity/pace.

I feel that I am as on track as I can hope to be with my goal, but it is still going to be CLOSE even if the weather/race conditions work out.

The one thing I wish I had the self discipline to adhere to is some kind of diet. My appetite never really re-adjusted after all the IM training and I am still eating a ton more than I should. I haven't gained too much weight, but I am about 8 pounds over where I hoped to be come race day. I've read that each pound can mean 1 to 2 sec/mi on the pace. Even on the low end, 8 seconds over 26.2 miles is a lot of time.

Oh well. Off to get a beer, and maybe a cookie, or two...

2014-10-03 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
#228 - 4 miles
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  

of 181