RedMan Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 22m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 31/33
Pre-race routine:

So I only registered for this race to keep me training through the summer after Kansas 70.3. Definitely not an "A" race as Chicago Marathon is 2 weeks after. I developed shin splints in my left shin 4 weeks before race day, so did not run for 4 weeks solid. Had no idea how that would play out.

This was a solo race for me, no friends/family but I knew a lot of people who would be out there. Solo races are an adventure for me, partly fun and partly depressing. Drove into town Friday afternoon, did check-in, bike racking, etc. Met a guy from Switzerland or somewhere named Kuba, nice fella, we were both checking out the crazy low lake. Ate dinner at On The Border, I've eaten at that one so many times! In bed by 9 p.m. and really had no trouble sleeping as I was out LATE the night before (oops).
Event warmup:

Good thing I set 2 alarms, because the first one I set was for "p.m." haha! Out the door by 5 a.m. for the easy drive to the lake. The walk from where I parked was close to a mile, don't remember ever having to walk that far! I ate my oatmeal/walnuts during the walk.

Normal pre-race stuff - set up transition, had the bike techs run through my gears (hadn't even done a practice ride on my race wheels, heh) stood in line for the potty, then I had a ton of time to kill. Sat on the curb with my headphones in; prayed, reflected, jammed. Wrestled HARD with my wetsuit - only then remembering I never soaked it this season so it was tough to get on. Ate a pack of Honey Stinger chews and a 5-hour energy right before leaving transition.

Waiting for my wave to go off I was fidgeting with my super tight westuit - I'd put on Tri Slide before, but it must have all slid off and my neck was already irritating me. Like an angel, MY HEIDI came up to me to say good luck and I asked if she had anything - she had chap stick and it did the trick. Wow, saved my neck - literally!

When it was time for my wave to get in the water I was super calm and a little emotional. I absolutely LOVE to race, and I love soaking every moment in. Here I am, getting ready to start my 9th Half Ironman. It wouldn't be perfect, but I sure as heck was grateful to be toeing the line. I. Love. To. Race!
Swim
  • 45m 50s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Walking out to the start point was disgusting - red clay mud ooozing in between my toes. Even at the start point the water was only up to our knees at best. At the gun I dove into the red murky water - really calm start, I was off to the right a bit.

Had a great time on the first of three legs, just swimming and enjoying the cool water. By the time I rounded the first turn bouey I was ready to be done swimming :) - I'd only swam a handful of times all summer so I knew not to expect anything great. But all I could think about was getting out on the bike - I wanted to ride so bad!

The last leg seemed to take forever, arms getting tired and a horrible zig-zagger guy I could not get away from. I was swimming in a relatively straight line but this guy would cross at 45-degree angles left, then right, etc in front of me to no end. I would deliberately swim way far away from him but he would always find his way back to RIGHT in front of me. Annoying, but amusing.

At the swim exit we are plodding through the thick red clay again, no one is running. You literally couldn't run in this stuff. On to the exit carpet I can finally job up to the wetsuit strippers - when my wetsuit came off I was surprised to see my tri shorts were all loosey goosey around my legs - UGH! These are new shorts and I've worn them for riding a few times, but had no idea they'd stretch out this way on the swim. I did size "up" to a medium this time as I'm right on the line size-wize of small and medium - I either need to gain or lose like 8 pounds, grrr!

Feet water bath tubs were a nice touch at the end of the exit.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the pool more, heh
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

My assigned transition spot was sweet - a row right on the edge and a spot close to the end. Nothing unusual happened here, except for having issues with both my helmet buckle and race belt buckle.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 24m 28s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.43 mile/hr
Comments:

My strategy today was to go all out on the bike, knowing I'd be walking about half the run due to my bum shin. Hammer, hammer, hammerhammerhammer - was my mantra.

Out of the park the roads were ridiculously rough. I don't remember them being like this in 2008 or 2009 - what the heck happened, OKC?? It was bordering dangerous for a few miles, I felt like I was on an obstacle course trying not to go down!

Less than 10 miles in, I felt a wobble-wobble on my back tire. I tried to convince myself it was just the vibration of the road, but I knew I had to stop. My back tire was about halfway deflated, SNAP! I thought maybe if I filled it up with c02 I could go on or at least see if it would hold. So I did that. While I was, MIRACULOUSLY, the bike tech car showed up! My very own Mellow Johnny stepped out and asked what was up. I said I thought I had a slow leak - he asked if I wanted to change the tube out - YES, as he is probably faster than I am. When he realized I was riding 650s, he went to the car to find a 650 tube, rummaged around for what seemed like FOREVER, only to discover he didn't have any. But I had one (my ONLY one) so he went to work with that. He discovered the culprit - a huge pebble that had gashed about halfway through the tire, so he patched that for me as well (called it a "boot", what?). At the time it honestly felt like I was stopped for 10 minutes. But it could have only been 6 or 8. Who knows, I wasn't wearing a watch or Garmin or anything (on purpose). I know I was stopped for at least 2 minutes before Mellow Johnny appeared, another 1 for him to get a pump out, at least 2 for him in his car, another 2-3 for him to change my tube and patch the tire? Guessing 7-8 minutes.

Back on the road I was determined to make up the time and Hammer, Hammer, HammerHammerHammer my little legs out. And I did. I was absolutely LOVING the ride, despite the crazy rough road. Some parts would smooth out and I just smiled so big, it's amazing how I've grown to love riding so much (read my very first & second race reports and the bike was the only part of triathlon that made me almost quit - I've come a LONG way!).

Right before the turnaround, Kuba, the guy I'd met the day before, passed me and I saw his name on his bib. I raced back up to him and said hello, asked how his race was. He said he had vomited already, and I told him about my flat. Funny to run into him on the course!

The back half was more chanting to myself, talking to the cows, singing in my head. Just really enjoying the day and noticing that the wind had picked up a little but would be blowing us a tailwind back into town. Definitely a rare race situation... NICE.

Back at the lake I was a little sad and a lot nervous thinking about getting off the bike. I could have pedaled all day and been perfectly happy. Even with the flat tire and stop, I knew I'd done my best on the bike. My average with the stop was 16.4 mph - if my stop was 7 minutes, that meant my moving time was actually 17.01 mph, which is way beyond amazing for little ol' me.

Nutrition: 3 servings Infinite - I hadn't thought through the fact that not wearing a watch meant not knowing when my 15-minute increments for the Infinite would be. But I improvised and swigged when I felt like it and it worked out more than perfectly.

I had no control over my flat tire or the amazing timing of Mellow Johnny showing up, so I really can't "do" that differently. Really, nothing. I'd ridden my heart out over the summer and it paid off.
Transition 2
  • 04m 46s
Comments:

Took my shoes off right after the dismount line so I could carry them running, but forgot how close my spot was to this entrance, oh well. I knew this transition would be longer as I was switching out my regular socks for compression socks, and had to pee. Did all of that in less than 5 minutes? Go me??

Nothing
Run
  • 3h 03m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Like I said, I was babying my hurt shin so I knew I'd be walking a lot out of precaution. "Do what you can" was my mantra for the run. Do what you can, Lisa.

I ran most of the first mile feeling amazing - have I said I love to race?! I remembered a buddy suggesting to run in the grass if I could, and that would lessen some impact on my shins, so I was doing that when it made sense (probably 40% of this run). In the first few miles I could "feel" my left shin, but it didn't "hurt" - you know? Then that sensation kind of went away to my delight! But I still wanted to take walk breaks so I wouldn't aggravate it. So that's what I did.

Pretty steady run/walk for the first loop - it was getting hot and I was taking everything I could at each aid station. Water, ice, gatorade, coke, ice sponges. Run, walk, repeat. Do what you can.

Coming into the end of the loop and going back out was amazing, so many clubs with tents set up cheering and encouraging. I was so happy to be out here. The second loop had me walking a bit more than running - my left quad was pretty cranky and my right knee as well. My lips were super chapped, which made me think I was getting dehydrated.

In the last few miles I got a little weepy - "Do what you can" turned into "This is all you can do today" which made me both sad and proud all at the same time. Sad because if I had only not had shin issues I would be rocking this run, and proud because DESPITE my shin issues, I was still out here, doing what I can.

Into the finish chute I waved at my tri club buddies in the tent and listened to the announcer fumble over my name and call me in. I did what I could today, nothing more. Which was exactly the plan.

Besides not injuring my shin 4 weeks out, not much. I felt I took the right amount of precautionary walk breaks and hydrated the best I could on a warm, sunny day.
Post race
Warm down:

Into the food tent I think I started to cry, but quickly stopped myself so they wouldn't send me to the medical tent. Picked up some food (veggie burger? YES!) and water and found some shade to sit in. Like I said, racing solo can be a little depressing and it's REALLY depressing at the finish line. Exhausted, sore, hungry, weepy, and no one there. Sigh.

I was so tired. I just didn't feel like hanging out with the tri club so I packed up my crap and rode it back to the car, high-tailed it to the hotel to lay down. Slept for a few hours before I decided I needed dinner - grabbed that and went back to bed. Slept probably 12 hours, wow. Tired girl. Sunday morning grabbed brunch on the way out of town and was really refreshed driving home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swim training and shin splints.

Event comments:

Top notch race with outstandingly enthusiastic volunteers. Bike course roads are dangerous at points, more so than I ever remember. That might keep me from coming back, but the rest is superb. From excellent goodie bags, to helpful bike techs, to vegetarian offerings post-race - it doesn't get much better than Redman.

Last updated: 2012-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:50 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra full sleeve wetsuit
Course: Triangle in the middle of the lake this year due to low water levels.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:24:28 | 56 miles | 16.43 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:03:45 | 13.1 miles | 14m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops through sidewalk park grounds
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-23 4:29 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Redman Half Distance Triathlon

2012-09-23 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4424119

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Redman Half Distance Triathlon
Awesome job Lisa! There was several stretches of the road that were really rough but it did help they spray painted those areas. It was amazing how many water bottles littered the road in the rough areas.
2012-09-23 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Good job Lisa. Good luck in Chicago. IMKS #6 will be here before you know it. Enjoy your "off season".
2012-09-23 11:20 PM

User image

Seattle
Great race and rest up for that marathon!
2012-09-24 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Congrats lisa and good luck in Chicago!
2012-09-24 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4424655

User image

Master
Central Kansas

I got weepy reading how you were weepy. It is hard to race alone. And I could relate to the disappointment but resignation on your run.

How could they fumble your name?? Seriously. Oh, well.

But great job. Running/walking as much as you could on the grass was a smart idea.

And I run 650s as well. They are tiny. lol But I guess we are, too.

Rest up -- and good luck in Chicago!!

2012-09-24 9:35 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Great job! I am doing Redman Full next year!!!
2012-09-24 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Congrats and great job! Sorry about the flat, and I ran in the the same problem with my last bike that had 650's. Anyways, nice job and love your enthusiasm for racing (I have no racing mojo this yr, ha!
2012-09-24 12:01 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Awesome bike split, especially with the flat!
2012-09-24 4:20 PM

User image

Elite
Nice race. You held it all together and stayed on track.  You are a racing machine.  Good luck in Chicago too. 
2012-09-24 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran

Nice race! I'm glad your shins didn't bother you worse than they did and you were able to "do what you can". (You might try that phrase on me in a couple weeks!)

I wish I'd been there.

2012-09-25 6:56 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
fantastic job, even with your running injury i am SO proud of you!
2012-09-25 4:09 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Great race, Lisa!  And as always, a great race report!  I send the newbies from my mentoring club to read your RR's- you do a great job.

Total bummer about the roads sucking and the flat.  I loved Redman '09 and was talking to Wavedog about doing it again next year.  Sounds like the roads aren't up to the race.  Anyway, great job!  See you in about 10 days!

2012-09-25 5:14 PM

User image

Regular

We ate at On the Border on Sunday after Deener's race.  Never ate there, but my nephew wanted to.  Good food.

Good job on your race and sticking with your race plan.  Good luck in Chicago!!!!!

2012-09-25 11:31 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Dang, Lis', that is one heck of a bike split! And now you've got me wanting to do this race after reading your report. Well, minus the roads on the bike course. Awesome job doing the best you could with what you had to work with, what with your shin splints (ouch, by the way)!
2012-09-27 11:27 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job and hope your legs heals quickly!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Redman Half Distance Triathlon Rss Feed