General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
The Red Rock Company, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 36m 32s
Overall Rank = 517/560
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 28/29
Pre-race routine:

I packed the night before and was in bed at a decent hour (I am usually dashing around packing late at night and finishing in the morning. I got a good night sleep, woke up at 3:30am, and had yogurt, fruit, and honey for breakfast. Sheri, a friend who wants to do triathlons, came over to go see her first triathlon. She, my wife (Lisa) and I headed out a little late, but got to the race and set up transition without issue. I had a rack hog next to me. He had his bike in 1/2 my space at bike drop-off and had a bath Rowell with his transition set up where I should have been setting up. Dude had enough gear to go on a 3-day bike tour.
Event warmup:

I pretty much just hung around with Lisa, Sheri, and a couple of guys from my Tri club (Phoenix Triathlon Club) who were also racing today. The race started about 20 minutes late, so I just stressed about swimming 1,500m without a wetsuit for the first time. There was no warm-up time in the water, so warm-up consisted of swimming to the start line.
Swim
  • 40m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

As I said, I was very concerned about this swim and almost went to the sprint distance because of it. Swimming out to the start line, I thought of my weaknesses in prior races and what I learned from Frank Sole in swim lessons. I decided I would focus on proper stroke, kicking to lift my legs. In prior races, I focused way too much on looking for the turn buoy almost from the start. This time I decided to sight on the route buoys and see the turn bouy when I get to it. If I see no route buoys and I am swimming alone, I would turn around. I swam straight, consistently and, for me, strong, only had to fix leaking goggles twice, both quick fixes, and breast stroked three times to rest. I always struggle with the stairs at the end. I thought the swim would take me close to an hour, but was hoping for45 minutes. I was thrilled when Sheri told me I was in the water 40 minutes!!
What would you do differently?:

Keep swimming, following Frank Sole's instructions at swim lessons, and focus on swimming, not wondering where I turn when I am not even close to it...live in the moment.
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

This is actually a pretty good T1 for me. I had some issue putting on my socks even though they were set to be rolled on,
What would you do differently?:

Hurry up! Practice transitions more. Run faster during transition.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 28s
  • 24.63 miles
  • 16.90 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 03m 45s
Comments:

The person racking next to me used most of my space. I had to move that bike and the one next to it before I could rack mine. Rack hogs really irritate me!
Run
  • 1h 21m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 04s  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2011-11-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:20 | 1640 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/560
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: Single loop in Tempe Town Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:27:28 | 24.63 miles | 16.90 mile/hr
Performance: Good
I tried to keep my heart rate in the low to mid 130s...138 is my training ideal, but I let it go a little higher in races.
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops through Tempe, including a lot of 90 degree turns and six u-turns (four of which were very tight). I noticed this time none of the course is flat. There were man-made hills and deceptive inclines and decline.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:21:00 | 06.2 miles | 13m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Average
I just used my Garmin for time. I used effort level and not heart rate for pacing.
Course: Two loops around part of Tempe Town Lake using the Mill Ave bridge and the bridge a mile to the east of it. There is almost NO shade during this run...very very hot!! Man-made hills to get up to and over the bridges.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-23 11:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Subject: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-09-26 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4424497

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course
Way to go in finishing your first non-wetsuit Olympic!  Frank Sole is a rockstar of a coach, he has helped me so much over the last couple years.  Keep plugging away, and onward to the next adventure!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed