General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
The Red Rock Company, Inc.
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 48m 55s
Overall Rank = 232/560
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/72
Pre-race routine:

English muffin, peanut butter, bite of a protein bar, and a double espresso. Preferred breakfast of MOPers everywhere.
Event warmup:

Dynamic stretching.
Swim
  • 29m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Given the pummeling I took at Mountain Man for starting in the front, I decided to start further back and to the right this time and planned to pass people after the washing machine had thinned out. Still a dense start, as lots of swimmers were holding onto boats or the dock to the right, and as soon as the gun went off they all crowded the area I was in. Had an easy start to get warmed up, and settled into a rhythm. Felt like my stroke and breathing were technically clean. Rounded the first buoy feeling good. After I rounded the second buoy to head back, I must have gotten way off course. Noticed that I was really far to the right of the line of buoys, even though there were swimmers far to my right. I'm not sure if the buoys floated in a bit, or if I really went that far of course, but in any case it took me a minute or two to get back to the line. Did well after that, but when I swam up to the dock, got no help from the swim volunteers because I was one step over. Had to wade over to the next step, wait in line as they pulled others out. This cost me another 30 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Concentrate on sighting, especially after making turns. And make sure I swim up to one of the steps that are staffed by the swim volunteers to get pulled out quicker.
Transition 1
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

A good transition for me.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 15s
  • 24.64 miles
  • 20.18 mile/hr
Comments:

A bit of a traffic jam coming out of T1. There was a large, grey slippery mat [not the timing mats, something else?] just after you crossed onto pavement. Lots of people were mounting there because there were no signs and little direction from volunteers where to mount at. So lots of riders mounting, dismounting, or even riding before the mount point.

After I got out, felt good. Kept a good cadence and good speed without mashing. At about mile 5 (the Rio Salado and Mill Ave intersection) launched a full bottle of water from my rear hydration system. This was a bit disconcerting, as I typically need two bottles for an OLY race. After making the second lap actually pulled to the side to pick up the bottle [for the water, not for the bottle itself] but it was split open with no water left.

Other than this, decent bike split - my fastest in an OLY distance race.

Secure water bottles.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

A little longer than T1, but still faster than my usually times. Took a bit of time to stretch and put socks on.
Run
  • 1h 00m 50s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Was a bit worried about hydration, as my water bottle was bone dry coming into T2. Started slow to stretch the legs at a decent pace. Was feeling really good. First three mile splits were 9:30, 9:15, and 9:15. Then I started cramping in the right hamstring. Don't know if it was from the lack of water or overexerting myself on the bike, but had to stop and stretch 3 separate times in order to massage the cramp out. This cost me valuable time, and a sub-1 hr. 10K that I was hoping for.

Not sure if the cramping was from overexertion on the bike or the lack of water on the bike. Or a combination of the two. Would really like to solve this, as I have cramped on a couple races in the past on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, Powerade, fruit. Parked myself in front of the cool portable fans/misters they had set up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor sighting on the swim. Cramps on the run. That said, I still came in under 2:50, which is a PR for me at OLY distance. So I can't complain too much.

Last updated: 2012-08-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:28 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/72
Overall: 0/560
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:15 | 24.64 miles | 20.18 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Tight and technical.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:50 | 06.2 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-24 8:38 AM

User image

Phoenix AZ
Subject: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-09-24 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4424705

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course
Congrats on the PR!  It was definitely a hot day out there, and at times it seemed more crowded than previous races.  I saw the chalk mount line WAY up from where volunteers were telling us to mount (just after that grate cover we ran over).
2012-09-24 5:49 PM
in reply to: #4424705

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course
Sorry to hear about the cramping and loss of water bottle. Still, a PR is great any day Smile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed