General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
The Red Rock Company, Inc.
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 7s
Overall Rank = 49/560
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/84
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:20 am, shot off to Mcdonalds for a coffee and oatmeal. I arrived at event and set up transition. I just trained through this race, so I didn't do any particular taper.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, some strides, meditation
Swim
  • 27m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This event was huge, there where estimated to be over 1,000 athletes, over 500 in the Oly race. The swim ahd lots of bodies, and I got clocked in the head for the first time, nothing serious or hard, but finally took some lumps.

On the swim, my goal was to try to hang with the leaders of the group, so I lined up in the front and went hard from the start, I was with them for about 150m, then I couldn't keep it up, so I had to back off and go with my pace. At about the half way point and at the first turn buoy it was getting crowded with my wave and the wave ahead of me, then the return leg was trying to just swim through folks. I no longer have access to a local pool, so I felt that I lost my sharpness from not having swum in a couple of weeks. I was expecting to get out of water under 25 minutes, but I did, however, improve by 5 minutes from my previous two Olympic races in the Spring.

What would you do differently?:

I just wish that I had a local pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I felt a little tired after the swim, and kind of lost my rack too, with so many bike stalls, long transition.

Just get faster.
Bike
  • 1h 02m 15s
  • 24.64 miles
  • 23.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Since I went apeshit on the bike to attempt to get under 1 hour, I was at Sprint intensity for the entire hour, and left nothing for the run, so I ended up concentrating on my HIM pacing for the run. During the bike, I was passed by a 21 yo at about mile 9, and we paced for a while, then a very fast 31 yo came up at about mile 15, and the 21 yo paced him and I went after both of them, but the 31 yo dropped us, he was incredibably strong, but no one else passed me, I liked being able to hang with someone over half my age.

I SCREWED UP on the bike, I was so caught up in the moment that I passed by the EXIT going full blast and starting another loop, and then realized about another eigth to quarter mile down the road, then had to wait for bikers in the other lane to pass and get back to the exit, this wasted about 2 to 3 minutes, So, according to my power meter and garmin, I traveled about 6/10 mile (1k) too much. but I posted above the NON MISTAKE split, and put the wasted time on transition, and because I was spent and upset, I took probably a little to long during transition.

Not fuck up like I did. Otherwise a great ride and improved by 2 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 03m 40s
Comments:

I added my fuck up to the transition time...I lost 2' 30" to my bike mishap, then another 2 minutes in transition, just bad all around, cooked legs.

If this race were a serious race I wouldn't have cooked my legs from the bike.
Run
  • 46m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Run, I was just below LT for the entire run, but didn't have any pop in the legs, but I worked on HIM pace of around 7' 30" and was hanging in there, I did a 10K training run on Weds this week and got 42' @ 6.48, so I know I can get a 43' split, just too hard on the bike... at least now I know though that I can hold my goal pace for HIM, I feel that I can get about a 1hr 38 to 40' split here next month.

Post race
Warm down:

Water and some food

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Because I went so hard at the bike, my stomach couldn't tolerate too much fluids, so I was a little dehydrated on the run, and it was a hot day at around 100F during the run. I probably only took in a total of 20oz of fluid during the whole thing, and no nutrition. Not my best effort, despite improving by 2.5 minutes over my last Olympic.

Event comments:

Good race and organization, just wish they'd have more water stations on the run, esp. considering the temps.

Last updated: 2012-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:11 | 1640 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 50/84
Overall: 67/560
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: An out and back loop in Tempe Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:02:15 | 24.64 miles | 23.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/84
Overall: 0/560
Performance: Good
159, HR right at LT and 20' in my VO2/Anaerobic zone.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course was two loops around Tempe Lake area with 8 technical u-turns to slow you down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:40
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:30 | 06.2 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/84
Overall: 0/560
Performance: Below average
160, just below LT
Course: 2 loops around Tempe Lake
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-24 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-09-24 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4424832

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: RE: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course
Nice job, sounds like you still had a pretty good race despite the bike mix-up. I had the same issue in the transition area, it was just one big sea of bikes and no way to mark your spot! I should have tied a ribbon or something to the end of the rack. Maybe hung a mylar balloon. Live and learn
2012-09-24 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Another great race for you at TTL!  The swimming scrums seems to be getting worse and worse each race lately - even with smaller numbers (of course this one had a good number of athletes).  Excellent job (except for passing the bike exit)!!!
2012-09-24 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Very nice times! 

It's so easy to make mental mistakes during races - I blame it on all the oxygen going to the muscles and not the brain Smile

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed