General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Neck chafing and wetsuit question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-24 10:15 AM

Subject: Neck chafing and wetsuit question

Did my first race yesterday with a wetsuit and I experienced some serious neck chafing on the back of my neck.  I would have thought that any chafing would be on the side as a result of turning to breath, but no.  In any case, prior to the race, I used body glide all around my neck, but that clearly didn't work well enough.  Should I use a different product or do something different to prevent the neck chafing?  

Thanks for all in advance.

2012-09-24 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4424846

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Neck chafing and wetsuit question

Body glide liberally anywhere you think it "might" rub. on your neck and on the wetsuit.

How bad are we talking? I still get a little rash on the back of my neck on longer swims, but nothing too bad.

2012-09-24 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Similar problem for me after a mile or so...I'm not sure if the body glide helps at all. I think I'm going to try tape on the back of my neck...what the heck - it works awesome for blister prevention on my runs.
2012-09-24 11:09 AM

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Interested to see what you all say.  After an hour OWS this past weekend, the side of my neck is raw.  I wonder whether I had it velcroed properly or not.
2012-09-24 11:24 AM
in reply to: #4424850

Leegoocrap - 2012-09-24 11:18 AM

Body glide liberally anywhere you think it "might" rub. on your neck and on the wetsuit.

How bad are we talking? I still get a little rash on the back of my neck on longer swims, but nothing too bad.

Thanks.  I guess my rookie effort at applying bodyglide to my neck wasn't good enough.  As for how bad...it's a decent size chafe/rash.  I sort of expected a small patch (based on what I've heard from other folks using their wetsuits for the first time), but this is more extensive than I expected...hence the questions.

2012-09-24 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I've had the same problem on longer OWS. Both IM events left me with a scab about 1/2 wide all accross my neck. I did use a ton of body glide but didn't help.

I'm going to expiriment with a little turtleneck rash guard for my next long swim. I'm not too far from the 80's to see the wisdom of the mock turtlenecks and maybe if I call it something cool like the "Neck Rash Vaporizor" then I could be rich.

2012-09-24 1:15 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I'm interested in a solution as well. 

At a 70.3 this last weekend I sprayed Tri Slide all over my neck, but when I got into my wetsuit it was like it had slid right off. Within 10 minutes waiting for my wave to go off, my neck was already red and irritated. A friend gave me some chapstick and that helped a little, but I still have a patch of scabbed over chafe. I've had the same experience with Body Glide over the years - it just doesn't work very well.

Any other ideas? Something has to work out there... 

2012-09-24 1:17 PM

Veteran
Niagara Region
Why don't you take one of your dri fit type shirts cut it up and make a neck guard like you would wear in hockey. When you get out of the suit just pop it off.
2012-09-24 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Bodyglide didn't work for me either.  I use Bag Balm and it's been a champ.  It's petroleum based so the thinner (nicer) westuits maybe won't do as well with it.

I've used the same sleeveless wetsuit for 5+ years and no issues whatsoever with liberally applying bag balm around my neck wherever it touches the suit.

I haven't done 2.4 in it yet but plenty of 1-1.5's....

2012-09-24 1:28 PM

User image

Mojave Desert

Petroleum based products may make gluing repairs an issue.

Mine wasn't too bad from my Olympic.  Told the wife it was a hicky.  She didn't find it as amusing as I did.

2012-09-24 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4425230

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I personally think chafing is due to three factors.

Swimming techinigue (turning head too much instead of rotating body)

Wetsuit fit - make sure it fits and put on correctly

Some chafing due to the nature of the beast (use body glide).

JUST using body glide or some other type of lube if your technique is flawed or wetsuit is not put on corretly may not help that much, especially on longer swims.

Just my 0.02

2012-09-24 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4424955

User image

Elite
Cleveland
GotTorque? - 2012-09-24 12:09 PM

Interested to see what you all say.  After an hour OWS this past weekend, the side of my neck is raw.  I wonder whether I had it velcroed properly or not.

The one time that I've had serious chafing on my neck, this actually was a big part of the culprit for me. The top velcro was on at a bit of an angle upward toward my neck instead of going straight across and being fully on the lower part of the velcro. Since that time, I've started to liberally apply body glide, and make sure that I didn't haphazardly stick the velcro.
2012-09-24 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Raced a 70.3 yesterday, put BodyGlide everywhere I've ever had issues, and have zero chafing today.  Wore a full wetsuit, with tri top and tri shorts beneath, and not the first sign of any issues anywhere.  Neck, just above armpits, saddle contact areas, ankles, toes, front and back of tri shorts where drawstring and tag might rub, and the ever-important anti-spotted-red-shirt areas.
2012-09-24 2:16 PM

User image

New user

After the first time this happened to me, I got very generous with the body glide around my neck and shoulders (to be safe).  I'm not above asking my family for help in making sure I get all the spots.  Since then, no more irritation!  Don't be afraid to be generous with the BG.

Shane

2015-03-11 8:59 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

I have been swimming open water without a suit and things were great till last week on my longest swim I get neck chaffing without a suit. How can that be?. I talked and swam with my squad coach who highlighted that my head position was 1. too high 2. shoulders too tense 3. not enough hip roll, which mean my head was turning slightly too high out of sync with my upper body. After several corrections my head now moves with my shoulders and hips as opposed to my head turning independently . It now feels more smooth than before. I do realise that with ows the head may need to rise higher out of the water to breath when in choppy water
2015-03-11 8:59 PM

I have been swimming open water without a suit and things were great till last week on my longest swim I get neck chaffing without a suit. How can that be?. I talked and swam with my squad coach who highlighted that my head position was 1. too high 2. shoulders too tense 3. not enough hip roll, which mean my head was turning slightly too high out of sync with my upper body. After several corrections my head now moves with my shoulders and hips as opposed to my head turning independently . It now feels more smooth than before. I do realise that with ows the head may need to rise higher out of the water to breath when in choppy water

2015-03-11 10:08 PM
in reply to: otautahi swimmer

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
I thoroughly believe it's either a swimming technique issue due to turning the head or the wetsuit is not a proper fit..
2015-03-12 7:38 AM

User image

I use trislide on my neck, wrists, and ankles. The only time I've had a wetsuit hickey was in salt water during an IM. Looking at the group during the breakfast the next day I wasn't alone with that, though.

All the other times I've not had an issue with that setup.
2015-03-12 8:17 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Kido

I personally think chafing is due to three factors.

Swimming techinigue (turning head too much instead of rotating body)

Wetsuit fit - make sure it fits and put on correctly

Some chafing due to the nature of the beast (use body glide).

JUST using body glide or some other type of lube if your technique is flawed or wetsuit is not put on corretly may not help that much, especially on longer swims.

Just my 0.02

^^This

Take as much, or more, time to get the top of your suit pulled up as you do getting it comfortable in the legs/crotch.  When you have your suit on and put your arms up over your head, you should feel no pull in the shoulders/underarm area.  If you do, either your suit doesn't fit or, more likely, you just don't have it pulled up your arms far enough.

If you are getting badly chaffed it's not a body glide problem.

2015-03-12 5:49 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Elite
i've found the best way to get them on properly is to get someone to hoist it up over your butt! Like they are trying to give you a wedgie. I got good friends at my squad!
2015-03-13 3:18 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I did a simple 1000 in my new suit (first ever swim) the other night and had a small rub on the back of my neck near my right ear. I noticed mine was more from turning to the right to breathe, but I am unsure what was rubbing. I checked the velcro and the cover, but I felt nothing of significance.

2017-10-15 11:38 AM

This thread is quite old. However it's the first link which appears on Google when you search for "Neck chafing wetsuit". - If it's against the netiquette, delete this post.

Following the comments in this forum In the past I tried both Body Glide and taping the neck with Kinesiological tape to prevent chafing from a wetsuit.
Neither worked properly. Body Glide came off after one km or so. And Kinesiotape did not hold well in salty water.
Now I found a great solution which finally worked: "Mugiro Neck Protector".

I just completed a 9.3km ocean swim (Oceanman Benidorm, roughly 2.5 hours) using that and I had zero problems with chafing. I can really recommend that solution.
2017-11-08 9:29 PM
in reply to: silvan.muhlemann

User image

I learned to not velco my neck closed all the way. While I get some cold water in my suit at times, once swimming you don't notice it.

Also, I used a different product that was recommended by the place I bought the wetsuit. I also put it on the suit legs to make it easier to peel it off.
2017-11-14 4:53 PM

Ooooh ooooh...oooooh...I know this one...I know this one!

I have an option for you.....read on, friend.

Yes...aside from "fit" and making sure you've got it on right and up...etc.....
Not everybody's body/physiology (or pocketbook) can afford to dial this in properly.

In an Olympic swim, I'll get a 'minor' annoyance. Scale of 1-10? Maybe a 2. I could feel an 'issue' on the back of my neck, but quickly forgot about it as I was on the bike.
I did a full this year and was a little worried about it. It felt to me like that extra half hour would have gone from a 2 to a 7 or worse!

I know...."nothing new" on race day. But, I did something new. And I'm glad I did. I saw in another thread in another place someone who worked for a wetsuit company noting her use of Tegaderm to great success. Well, I tried it...new...unproven on race day.

https://www.target.com/p/nexcare-tegaderm-waterproof-transparent-wou...

Worked brilliantly. NOTHING on the back of my neck. Hard as heck to put on without some help. I went through 3 of them before I got one on back there.

At the end of the swim, NOTHING. Although....on the sides of my neck (think in the region of Frankenstein's neck bolts)...I felt a little twinging. Not quite a 2 as I only noticed it when sunscreen went on. More like a 1. Tiny pinpricks. But confirmation that the BACK of my neck would have been pretty raw without that stuff.

It held fast, yet came right off in transition.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Neck chafing and wetsuit question Rss Feed