Orangeman Triathlon
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 56m 11s
Overall Rank = 291/428
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 46/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke up too early because Patrik couldn’t sleep and made coffee and noise at 4:15am. He was awesome letting me sleep at his house which is near the race site. Ate 2 slices of toast with peanut butter and honey. Ate banana and apple sauce all chased by a cup of whey protein drink. Left at 5:05am. Got to parking place at about 5:45am and 15 minutes after that I had to take a crap, hehe!
Event warmup:

Transition area for my wave group was already really crowded and it took quite some time to get set up. I didn’t get to apply sunscreen. =( Barely put on my wetsuit up to my waist and headed down to the beach. The nervousness was building up and I took deep breaths to stay calm and focused on the task ahead. Did a few minutes of dynamic movements of arms, shoulders, chest, and legs to get blood flowing and jumped into the water to see how it felt. It felt nice like PCT and the waves and swells weren’t as big. Buoys were red and yellow but pretty spread far apart.
Swim
  • 48m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Positioned myself on the right middle and after the horn, I was off! Lotsa contact but nothing severe on my way to the first buoy. I kind of swam a bit too wide and I corrected myself and stuck with the pack as best as I could. At this point I started to hyperventilate due to tightness of wetsuit and I eased my effort to long strokes and gliding into an aerobic effort. I thought to myself, “Don’t lose it here, it’s only the beginning!”

About half-way through I started seeing the 3rd wave catch up and pass. I was nearly swum over but the swimmer corrected and passed on my left. More contact throughout the rest of the swim. Got splashed badly at one buoy and drank lots of water but kept going.

Nothing broke my focus and stroke technique as I started catching a few racers in my age group. One swimmer with a much higher stroke rate swam to my right as I lined up myself to the buoys and he looked like he was having a hard time. I let him get half a body length ahead and I drafted him. At about 1/3rd of the way swim left, my steady, long glide aerobic pace wore him down because I no longer saw him after I had passed him. He must have tired himself out.

I'm happy with my swim performance and decision making. =)
What would you do differently?:

Break in the wetsuit well before racing if possible. Sight better.
Transition 1
  • 07m 23s
Comments:

Out of the water, not out of breath. Took off Garmin 910xt and gripped it between my teeth as I started to take off my wetsuit. I never wore a watch during the swim that after I stripped down halfway, I kind of panicked in my head saying, “Oh no!!! My watch!!!” But then it was right below my nose, hehehe! Whew!

Took my time here, debated on sunscreen but applying Butt’r cream made me forget.

Suit off, watch (installed facing up instead of down, ughh) socks, shoes, glasses, Halo headband, and helmet on. Applied butt’r cream after finally finding it underneath my bag. Lost time there but there was no way I’d continue w/o it! Packed Cliff Bar packs into my tri-top rear pocket. A few dropped while running to the bike exit I had to stop and pick them up. Argh!

Secure items so they don't get temporarily lost. Apply sunscreen before race start.
Bike
  • 3h 46m 57s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Patience and save legs for the run was on my mind the entire way through the first 30 miles which was an ascent. I spent the first 10 getting into and maintaining a low-mid Z2 pace. There was a descent where a couple racers had accidents due to not heeding to the Sheriff’s advice about a couple speed bumps on the way back down that part of the bike segment. I dodged them and the bumps successfully. That was around the 8 mile mark.

Kept pace even and smooth in Z2. Couldn’t help but get into mid-Z3 on the tougher grades after mile 20 but was still able to converse with other racers. I saw my friend Patrik on his way down a several miles before I got to the turnaround. What an athlete! Wow! After the turnaround I enjoyed the super fun descent! The scenery was beautiful. =) I did have to get into standing position several times as my butt was getting sore along with slightly lower back.

Maintained a low Z3 effort and engaged easier gears and 90ish cadence last mile into T2. Did not lose any of my water bottles and used up all my own nutrition and hydration. (Ate Clif bar halves every 40-50 minutes with Clif Shot Bloks every 15, drank every 10-15). No stomach problems whatsoever!

As we left the beach going to the turnaround, I did notice it got less humid and warmer FAST and vice versa on the return so it felt nice near T2. Legs felt okay and ready to run.

Nothing. Everything went well. =)
Transition 2
  • 09m
Comments:

Successfully racked bike and made sure I applied sunscreen all over. Back of my neck responded negatively due to possible slight sunburn. Thank goodness I have brown skin! Reapplied Butt’r cream and put hydration belt on. Changed socks to Wrightsocks after putting on duct tape and BodyGlide.

I held my piss from mile 40 on the bike so I had to make a pit stop at a porta potty. I did not want to pull over on the bike course but next time I may as it may ease my bike effort. Nor did I want to piss while cycling and have that mess or smell on me during the run, hehe! Holding it wasn’t so bad but I knew I had to go. Such a relief!

Piss on the bike, use spray on sunscreen.
Run
  • 3h 04m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start, legs felt good! No cramps, yay! I saw Elisa at the run start and she took videos and pictures, yay!!! James Nguyen (Panda Jack) from BT called out my name as well. Really happy about that. =D The aid stations had so much stuff! Bananas, oranges, water, Heed, Hammer gels, salt caplets, and ice! So happy about the ice as it felt 90something out there along with at least 50% humidity!

Ran a mile, walked about 0.1 as planned for the first half of the half marathon. The beach run at the 1 mile mark flared up my ITBS so I had to deal with that mentally. Felt pretty good until after mile 7. I saw Patrik at about mile 4 as we was about to finish. Grrrr!!! Anyway, the walk/run strategy worked to keep my heart rate down as it kept creeping up to 150 and I saw someone collapse and request medical (she was going the other direction and several racers helped her). Mile 7 to 9 got gradually worse despite my mental effort to keep going. ITBS pain and blisters were constantly bothering me. Cramps formed on my calves and thighs. Some pain in my right inner thigh area near my nutsack as well.

As I walked, I chatted with several racers and finally gave in and took some Hammer salt caplets. After 5 minutes of taking that at about 9.5 miles, the cramps didn’t stop me. I had my 2nd wind going. No cramps but the rest of the pain was still there. But despite all that, I was able to continue at a more desired pace! Thank you Rookie Pignuts! I had your spirits with me as well to power me through! Run 1, walk 0.1, yeah!!! Got back to the beach and I had to slow down again. But then I got closer to the finish, ran with all I had left to the chute and finished as strong as possible. The RD announced my name and it felt great to finish.

That was the longest, most painful half marathon in my life!!! Or should I say race, hehehe!

Train appropriately for this distance and race. But I was not going to give up on this race since it's my last race of 2012 racing season.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a bit. Took photos. While I was getting a massage, Patrik won the Cannondale CAAD8 raffle! Lucky bastard, good thing I took so long to finish. Had pizza, water, and bananas. Showered and ate Chipotle burrito near Patrik’s house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insufficient run training. ITBS, blisters, cramps.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed myself at this race despite how difficult it felt along with the barely enough training. The volunteers were great and the on course nutrition support was excellent! I plan on racing it again next year! First HIM (70.3) race ever complete! Woot!!! ^_^

Last updated: 2012-05-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:07 | 2112 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 46/51
Overall: 293/428
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/player/226332941 Aerobic pace after hyperventilating first quarter mile.
Suit: Xterra Wetsuits Vortex 4 Fullsuit
Course: Out and back rectangular. Left shoulder turns until final buoy right shoulder turn to swim finish. I sighted much better here and my other races this year. Garmin reported I swam 1.42 miles (2500 yards).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:23
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:46:57 | 56 miles | 14.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 45/51
Overall: 276/428
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/226332944 ; Kept pace in Z2 first 10-20 miles. 20-30 got up to low to mid Z3. Upper Z2 to low Z3 on descent.
Wind: None
Course: Out and back, 30 mile ascent to turnaround.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 09:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:04:43 | 13.1 miles | 14m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/51
Overall: 297/428
Performance: Below average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/226332947 ; Run/walk race strategy. HR climbed from 120 to 150 every mile split. Worst part for me was miles 7-9 >.<
Course: Out and back with a several laps in between. Beach run beginning and end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-26 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Orangeman Triathlon

2012-09-26 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4429047

Subject: RE: Orangeman Triathlon
Good job on your first finish.

We were neck and neck by the looks of our times. And I was that sorry fellow with the fast stroke rate (see my RR - I resorted to doggie paddle at one point)

I'm glad I'm not alone in being at the early side of the transition learning curve. Thanks for the race report!
2012-09-26 7:25 PM

User image

Great Job Roland! That was a great detailed race report.

2012-09-27 12:59 AM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks guys!  I'm gonna race again next year and improve my splits.  =)
2012-09-27 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Great job fighting throught the adversity all the way to a strong finish! Some days are tougher than others, but it only brings more experience and mental toughness for the next time! Nice work!
2012-09-27 6:52 PM

User image

How did I not know you were racing it???    Great job, you sure picked a doozy for your first half.  That run was brutal

2012-10-11 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Great job Roland. Mid 150's heart rate on the run? Push it! ITBS be dammed!
2013-01-27 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Congrats on your 1st 1/2!!!  GREAT report and thanks for posting!  Hope your IT continues to get better!

2013-02-07 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4596323

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks guys!  It was a brutal course for my first long course race.  ITBS has healed I think!  Oceanside 70.3 2013 here I come!  =D

Edited by kloofyroland 2013-02-07 3:55 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Orangeman Triathlon Rss Feed