United States
New Orleans Track Club
81F / 27C
Total Time = 04m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I should start off saying that this race report will take me longer to fill out than the race actually lasted. But I think that I have ever done a race that deserved a report, this was it. I don't have our overall placing yet, and I haven't been able to post the pictures, but as soon as I have them, I'll add them. This was the Father's Day Half-mile race. I ran it with my son, Ethan, and it was his first race. He'll be 6 next month, so I'm trying to start him young. I told him about the race a couple of weeks ago, and he's been really excited about it. But over the last week or so, he started kind of stressing out over it. He didn't know if he should run with me so he wouldn't get lost or if we should split up so I wouldn't slow him down. His words, not mine. I tried to explain to him the principle that you really don't want to start out a full blown sprint... a half mile is a long way when you're a 5 year-old. But he just kind of rolled his eyes at me, and gave me the ol', "Yeah, sure dad. You start slow and I'll already be on my second gatorade by the time you finish" type of answer.
Anyways, we woke up that morning, split a poptart, and headed down to the race site.
Event warmup:

The great thing about this race, was that everyone got something. For t-shirts, they had shirts from previous year's races that had been leftover, and you could go through them and pick the one you wanted. I took a shirt from a race I had done so that I wouldn't feel guilty wearing it later. Ethan was kind of bummed because the size SM was still too big for him, but he was happy because it was his first race shirt. After we picked registered, picked up our shirts, and pinned on our numbers, we decided to "practice" running for a little bit. Did a short sprint, and then Ethan wanted to get in a couple of pushups for good measure. After that, we lined up. Ethan was in the very front with of the other kids. I lined up a few feet behind him, and then the sounded the horn.
Run
  • 04m 41s
  • 0.5 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

As expected, he took off like a bat outta hell. For the first tenth of a mile or so, I had to huff it to catch up to him. He started slowing down, and I was expecting him to decide to walk a little bit, since I had told him earlier it would be ok if he wanted to. I was running along next to him, and he was breathing pretty hard, but he kept running. I kept asking if he was ok, and he said yep, he was fine. So we just kept on runnin'. I have to admit, I was really suprised that he ran the whole thing. For his first time running that far, I was expecting him to decide to walk a little bit. But I forgot how competitive he is. He wasn't about to walk with everyone around him running. We were able to get a good sprint to the finish line, and he beat me by a few feet (which he would make sure to tell everyone he saw for the remainder of the day).
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. I had a blast running with him.
Post race
Warm down:

Like the shirts, they had a table of previous race trophies, medals, and plaques. The Half-Mile kids got to pick which trophy they wanted, and Ethan picked a nice 1st place race-walker trophy from some race last year. He was so proud of it, I don't think he put it down yesterday. I'm going to go to a trophy shop and have a new plate made up for it with his name, date, and the name of the race on it.

Event comments:

I'd give anything to be 5 years old again. The perspective kids have on things is just amazing. Ethan wants to do a triathlon now, but we need to do a little swimming practice. It won't be long though before he's burning up the course!

Last updated: 2006-06-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:04:41 | 00.5 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, on the Lasalle Park track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: Father's Day Race

2006-06-19 9:38 AM
in reply to: #458433

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: RE: Father's Day Race
I am so glad you all had so much fun. The boys were just talking about the 2 'runs' they'd done with us. He'll remember this one forever especially with a 'spiffy' trophy to prove it!!!

Happy belated Father's Day, I know you had a great one.
2006-06-19 8:10 PM
in reply to: #458433

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Father's Day Race
Jeremy, what a great race report!! It sounds like you and Ethan had a great day! What a great Father's day activity.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Father's Day Race Rss Feed