General Discussion Triathlon Talk » please help with adjusting my training plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-19 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: please help with adjusting my training plans
Background:-
I have just finished wk14 of 16 of Run focused OLY from BT, leading up to my first OLY in2 weeks time. Apart from swimming (which I am confident at) I have pretty much stuck to the plan which had highest training hours of about 9hrs.
Extra info that may help is that I did go out once and run for an hour and a half a few weeks ago whereas the longest run on the plan is an hour and a quarter. Also I have done about 3 x 2.5 hour rides (max 41 miles).

Now, because I have plans to do IM next year it has been suggested that I do a HIM aquabike which is local to here and 2 weeks after OLY. BUT, I have looked at the beginners HIM plan and I noted the following:

1. swim - I am ok with distance with as I swim with masters weekly 3250m (about 80mins)
2. Bike - there is only one ride longer than what I have done to date - a 3hour one scheduled for next week if I swapped plans
3. Run there is only one run which is longer than I have done to date - a 2hour scheduled for next week if I swapped plans. However, there have been a few 1 and a half hour runs and although I regularly run over an hour, I have only done one of those).

Also the aquabike is the same price as HIM, have to be there day before etc etc and I think "well why not try it then". I don't want to injure myself. But, I would just be looking to finish for the experience.

So, I guess my first question would be "am I being sensible considering this?"
Assuming I am (I get rather enthusiastic about my abilities!) then I don't think a long bike and long run as said above would be very sensible in the week prior to my OLY. So what does anyone suggest to plan for this? Shall I do a 90m run and 3hr bike this week and taper a bit next week for the OLY then pick up the 2 week taper for the HIM after the OLY

This was so easy when I was unfit and just had the one goal in mind of "finishing an OLY"

Sorry for the essay but what does anyone think/ suggest.
thanks
Jackie

2006-06-19 12:44 PM
in reply to: #458914

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: please help with adjusting my training plans

This is a hard question to answer. Only you truly knows if you can do this. With questions like this on BT you will get a million replies telling you not to do the HIM because you will get hurt and an equal amount telling you to do it because they did a race with no training and were just fine. What works for one person, might not work for someone else. My question for you is, what's the hurry? Why not find another HIM that you can focus your attention on and properly train for? If your goal is to do an IM in 2007, why not put in the time preparing for that. Again, this is just one person's opinion

Good luck with whatever you decide

Tom

Edited by madcow 2006-06-19 12:49 PM
2006-06-19 12:59 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Tom makes some excellent points that are well worth bearing in mind. It's easy to get so wrapped up in this we lose sight of the fact that ultimately we want to be doing this for a long time and staying injury free should be the ultimate goal.

There will always be another 1/2IM or IM to sign up for - look at what you strengths and weaknesses are right now and make the call that is right for you.

Shane
2006-06-19 1:48 PM
in reply to: #458976

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Thank you both
It helps just writing things down and hearing peoples comments.
You are right, there is no hurry. I think I had practically made my decision to do the aquabike for experince but then couldn't help looking at the HIM training plan and saw how close I was to their training hours. My weakness is running though so maybe best to go with instinct and skip it this time.
Also got caught up in the idea that it would be nice to have done HIM before an IM. I can only race locally so there are not many longer ones. But starting in Oct, all my focus will be on IM.

Jackie

Edited by jackjack 2006-06-19 1:49 PM
2006-06-19 5:32 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'm not sure what your question is...are you asking if you should do the HIM or Aquabike 2 weeks after your OLY? For me, the additional running for the HIM would be very stressful, whereas I would probably recover fairly well from an HIM aquabike. If you want to do one, I'd say do the Aquabike, but would be hesitant to reccomend the full HIM so soon after when you havn't strictly been training for it. Training is not just about getting in an extra 3 hour bike/2 hour run/whatever, but about all the time/frequnecy/intensity of training that goes on in the months before.

Just my 2cents.
2006-06-19 10:01 PM
in reply to: #459461

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Thanks adventurebear
I am going to do the aquabike for some longer distance experience and have fun with it without stressing about the run (which is the part I am unsure about)
You are so right, I have trained for months for this OLY and that is what I am going to stick to. I shouldn't have started browsing those HIM plans.

Back down to earth now

Jackie

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » please help with adjusting my training plans Rss Feed