BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fast Twitch Tri-FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2012-10-17 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Fast Twitch Tri-FULL

This is a mentor group focused on short course racing. We are striving to move "beyond the bucket" in our discussions here. Our goal is to explore all aspects of training and racing in a higher heart rate zone.

We believe that short course is an invaluable entry level distance to triathlon. We also believe it is a meaningful endeavor for athletes of all experience levels who, through circumstance or preference, has chosen to focus on the pursuit of speed.

Discovery of our collective knowledge will come about from curiosity, expertise, experience, and good conversation.

Stevebradley and QuincyF will be your "mentors" but it is really up to everyone in the group to keep the conversation going (and interesting Wink).

Our bios follow...

NAME:  Steve Bradley

STORY:  I began triathlon in 2000, and to date have done about 120 multisport races.  I used to consider myself a long-course guy, with half-irons my preference, but the years have taken their toll an dny body can't quite handle too much big-volume training.  So, the past few years have seen me shift to sprints and olys, with the last two years being exclusivley those distances.  This has been a sort of oasis for me, and it works well because I still have speed and am still highly competitive.  That's not to say that I don't have any more half-irons in my future but for now I am very content to emphasize short-course racing.

FAMILY:  There's Lynn, who has suffered me since '74.  There is also just-married Jane (28) , unmarried Peter (almost 26), and hound-dog Luna (15).  Luna, Lynn, and I live in Casselman, Ontario, which is about 30 miles east of Ottawa (I grew up just outside Boston.)  I will be 64 in January, and have been retired from teaching since '07 -- so lots of time for training and pursuing a swack of other stuff that matters to me. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  Self-trained since '07, but prior to that I had spent several years undr the guidance of Erik Cagnina of D3 Multisport.  I still carry so many of his lessons with me.....but that said,  I no longer train either systematically or rigidly; I mostly do what I want to do and when I want to do it.  I roughly follow the laws of Periodization, which has served me well over the years.  I live in the country and train exclusively solo, and during the race season I open water swim about 4-5x a week, bike 2-4x, and run 3-4x; in my current short-course world, it comes to anywhere from 7 to 11 hours weekly.  In the off-season I hit the pools on Ottawa, and spend a good bit of time on my bike in the basement, either on the trainer or on rollers.  I also augment the SBR stuff with either Yoga or lifting, with the latter geared towards basic strngth maintenance.  Yoga and lifting add another few hours to my weekly workout totals.

2012 Races:  Late(st) start to a season for me, but still managed ten races -- 7 sprints, 1 oly, one "hybrid" of the two, and a duathlon that came about when big surf along coastal Maine turned the swim into a run, so it was a duathlon.  Two weekends found me doing races on both days, which is something I like doing once or twice each season.  It was a good age group year, with eight firsts and two seconds, although overall my performances declined from the previous few years -- the result of scattered training due to a couple of pesky injuries.

2013 Races:  Nothing set in place yet, but I definitely want to get back to starting in April or May, and then aiming for two a month into October.  I will do most, if not all, of my racing in the broad (including NJ, MD, and VA) U.S. northeast, due to being a slave for USAT rankings points.  I have a rough plan in place for racing, but that will surely evolve as the off-season progresses.

2013 Goals:   Keep the oly-distance races to under 2:30, and closer to 2:25 -- which means bikes at about 22mph and runs between 45 and 47 minutes.  (Swimming is my weak link, and I cannot count on doing 1500m in much under 30 minutes.)  For sprints, the goal is the ride at 22+mph and then hit the 5km run in mid-22 to low-23 minutes.  Beyond numbers, I always look to podium in the age group, and I am forever aiming at USAT All-American --- although I seem to be a perennial "bridesmaid" at A-A Honorable-Mention.  I'm happy enough with that....but still push to get straight A-A!

WEIGHTLOSS:  Not really an issue.  I am 6'2", and race somewhere between 165 and 170.  The lower the better.......and it maybe says something that this past season found me mostly at 168-170.  I generally try to eat "mindfully", but can succumb readily to any number of "sin" foods.  My highest-ever weight was 202 in May '98, which spuured me to get real serious about training better and eating smarter.  I spent a few terrific years ('03-'06 or so) as a vegetarian, and will probably head back that way again someday soon.

GOOD MENTOR??  This'll be my sixth group, and I think I've been highly useful in the previous five.  I've been around, know lots, have enjoyed success, worked through myriad injuries, and am always 100% willing to share what I have learned over the years.  I spent a few decades teaching, so that part comes naturally to me, and beyond that I am a Level I USAT coach -- although i have never used that "professionally".  I work to be attentive, thorough, and suppotive, and always with a nod to being realistic.  That is, I am fully aware of how other "stuff", such as family, work, and injuries, can conflict with athletic plans and dreams, and so I try to view everything through a lens of BALANCE.  I am very commmitted to mentoring, and look forward to a great ride with anyone who hops on board the Fast Twitch Express!

NAME: Quincy Fleming

STORY:  Following the birth of my second child, I decided to run a Half Marathon to get back in shape. During my long runs on the lakefront path here in Chicago, I would always see these fit people swimming in the lake...I thought I might like to look like that too, so I tried out a late season tri...and was hooked! In the last 3 years I've slowly gone longer and longer, but even as I have enjoyed all of the different distances of tri, my first love always remains sprinting. 

FAMILY: I have two beautiful, smart, charming children. Katherine is 8 and Christopher is 3. I also have two pugs who aren't remotely athletic. I am also one of those uniquely blessed individuals who shares my hobby with my spouse. Chris, my husband, and I have raced nearly all of our races together, and we often train together. We roll trips to races into fun family getaways as time and money permit, and for the rest of the time, keep our babysitters happy during the summer. I live in Chicago which is, surprisingly, a super tri friendly city. It seems everyone here is either in a band or does triathlons, or both. It's fine, but crazy competitive and the season is too short, but otherwise, I love it here.

CURRENT TRAINING:  My husband I just completed IM Wisconsin which was amazing, and a thrill, and I am sure I will do another one, but the time and toll it takes to train and race an IM is just too much for us to do every year. I had a bike accident last fall and surgery on my shoulder in December, so I was unable to train and race the way I would normally would have. Instead I only raced sprints in the lead up to Ironman. It was a strategy to save my shoulder on the swim, but I had a really great season with some decent placements and that was with training for long course...so I've just been thinking...what if I really hit the short course training really hard next year? I can race a lot and maybe do even better (it's my last year in the most brutal female AG, 40-44). Like most everyone else here I am trying to regroup and figure out my offseason and plan for next year...

2012 Races:  1 sprint Du, 3 sprint tri's, IMoo, Chicago Marathon, Monster Dash 1/2 Marathon (in costume, again). I did manage an AG win, but to my horror, in the Du. Qualified for AG Nats at the Chicago Tri and may make that my A race for next year!

2013 Races:  Kicking off the season with my old mentor group at "Memphis in May." Anyone in? Probably our standard local races, hopefully AG Nats, and looking at Door County HIM (but definitely not doing a lot of volume for it). May also look for some new races to try out...maybe the Dells (for the kids) or something south/east of here. Suggestions?

2013 Goals:  I always want to win/podium/etc. But I also really like to have the fastest bike split in my AG...haha... Actually what I really want is to do exactly what this group aims to help with. Increase my speed!

WEIGHTLOSS:  Had a hard time with a few extra pounds after shoulder surgery and would really, really benefit from losing about 10 lbs. Hoping to have a fruitful offseason in this department. The goal is to arrive at day one of my training plan at race weight...nothing else seems to work for me. 

GOOD MENTOR:  Oh yeah, I'm awesome! But I expect everyone to put their big boy and girl pants on and help out...this group is what we will make of it. I don't know if I can out-do my previous performance (specifically a certain infamous picture) as mentor to the Magical Mys-tri Tour, but I had some awesome people to work with. I expect this group will be similarly stellar.

Edited by quincyf 2012-10-18 8:56 AM

2012-10-17 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4458300

User image

Regular
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: Fast Twitch Tri-closed
Signing in to get updates, participate myself, and follow along.
2012-10-18 8:48 AM

Regular
Portland
Subject: RE: Fast Twitch Tri-Open

I'm in wil post bio later.

DK

2012-10-18 8:54 AM

User image

Please count me in!

Thank you!

Patti
2012-10-18 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm definitely in as well...looking forward to a return to racing this summer after almost 18 months of various injuries.

STORY:  43-year-old lifelong runner.  I have 4 HMs under my belt, plus a load of 10Ks and 5Ks over the years.  Only really began to focus on training in 2006 when I registered almost 230 on the scale.  Stuck with running first, then decided to do a tri in 2010.  I was (am still...) a horrible swimmer, but I was able to put down over 19mph on a hybrid and ran a PR 5K in my one and only triathlon.  Started training hard Jan 2011 for a series of Olys summer 2011 before the injury bug (knee, then back) hit.  Finally started training again in June of this year.

FAMILY:  My triathlon-inspiring wife (she's done 3) and 10-year-old daugther (triathlete at age 8 and now a competitive swimmer - and soon to be faster than me in the water Smile).  Life is always chaotic but that's how we like it. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  In a small recovery period before I start Jorge's winter cycling program combined with a couch-to-5K running program to see if my knees can handle it.  My training logs are accurate from January 2011 on, and I have my scheduled training roughly logged through next June.

2012 RACES:  DNS Eagleman, nada elsewhere.

PLANNED RACES:  Basically as long and as fast as my body allows me, but I'm planning on doing roughly one sprint a month from May - August, plus I might do the AquaVelo at Eagleman.  I'm also considering joining a cycling team to race in some crits and road races with the idea that my sub-22 5K days may be over.

MENTOR GROUPS:  2010 Dream Chaser's (Bobby) and 2011 ratherbeswimming (Elaine).  Very active in 2010, not so much in 2011 because of injuries.  I've found the best ones are a combination of a strong mentor, invested group. inspiration, and a little good-natured snark here and there.  Smile

2012-10-18 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
NAME: gsmacleod / Shane MacLeod

STORY: I have been involved in sport for a long time although primarily as a recreational athlete. I discovered triathlon in 2004 and starting training in August 2004 for my first race in June 2005. I found BT with a search shortly after I decided to get involved in the sport and have been posting here ever since. I've enjoyed some success as an athlete in the sport, primarily at the local level although I have competed on the national and international stage with the Canadian Forces on a few occasions. My focus as an athlete has been around the olympic distance, both draft legal and non-draft legal. As I've been a coach in a variety of sports (started coaching in 1994), becoming involved in the sport as a coach was a natural progression and in 2007 I started coaching triathletes and since then have coached athletes both online and in person. In 2011 I was named the Canada Games triathlon head coach for Nova Scotia for our 2013 Canada Games and my focus for the past two years has been on working with our youth and junior development athletes in preparation for the games in 2013 and 2017.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for eight years this month and have a 2 year old daughter, Alexis.

CURRENT TRAINING: Primarily bike commuting and running with x-country athletes. No serious training for the past few years as my focus has morphed to primarily coaching.

2012 RACES: Triathlon - one sprint distance race, terrible swim, ok bike, pretty good run; Bike - one crit and cyclocross starting soon, Run - one 5k with a stroller

2013 RACES: Not sure; maybe a few races but focus will be on Canada Games in August

WEIGHTLOSS: Following university I continually gained weight until I was about 250lbs; lost of bunch of weight and then started triathlon; weight is normally between 170-180lbs these days.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER OF THE GROUP: My focus as an athlete and coach primarily revolves around short course racing. Although I coach athletes at long and ultra distance events, most of my coaching involves short course racing, spanning athletes who have raced in ITU elite events to first time triathletes. I have a passion for our sport and enjoy helping others work toward their goals.

ETA - just saw the group change from open to full - hopefully I wasn't counted toward the group being full as my plan is to help mentor/support

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2012-10-18 9:03 AM

2012-10-18 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4458781

User image

Champion

KEVIN and DARRELL -

Hi and hello!  Welcome aboard, and I'm looking forward to finding out what you're both all about -- where you've been, where you're aiming to get to.   Ought to be a mighty fine journey all around!

2012-10-18 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4458788

User image

Champion

Mercy!  Spend a few minutes typing a couple of lines......and three more of you come forth!

PATTI - Consider yourself in!

MIKE and SHANE -  Fine bios from you both, more on them later.

2012-10-18 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: RE: Fast Twitch Tri-FULL

Welcome everyone...I have a list from the old thread and will be checking you in as you show up over here. 

Welcome kvn371, Patti, Mike, and DK. Post bios when you can. I think I am just going to do check-in and roll call for the next day or so because of the masses of people who posted. I tried to close it down but they just kept coming like (very fast) zombies! I love it.

After the dust settles we can see how such a large group functions and if it is too unwieldy we will definitely split it at Christmas time when the Winter Mentor Groups form. Probably split it anyway and I imagine (hope) some other folks decide to do a short course focus group as well...obvs the interest is there!

For now let's just get to know each other...please try to post your real name along with your handle so we can get to know each

I imagine Stevebradley will be along shortly to say hi...

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Good grief!

Hello everyone. I would sure like to be a part of this group if possible. I also am strictly a short course guy due to a busy schedule -- no time to train for anything longer -- and probably also due to my natural inclination. I've been in a group with Steve for the last year and have appreciated picking his brain.

2012-10-18 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I've actually contacted another BTer who might be willing to start a second group. This one stands at 31 right now depending on who else comes over from the original thread. Once the dust settles and we see how many are actually here, and if another group starts up, we can determine if we can open up to any more. 

Shane, I counted you in the original group.

2012-10-18 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4458816

User image

Champion

DOUG -

And my brain has enjoyed being picked!

2012-10-18 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4458816

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hoosierman - 2012-10-18 9:05 AM Hello everyone. I would sure like to be a part of this group if possible. I also am strictly a short course guy due to a busy schedule -- no time to train for anything longer -- and probably also due to my natural inclination. I've been in a group with Steve for the last year and have appreciated picking his brain.

OK Doug, you're in here. I've been doing some BT gymnastics and wwlani (Lani) has agreed to mentor another group so numbers management should not be a problem. I just wanted to make sure everyone who posted on the original thread had a crack at it. 

So, pending approval of the BT admins, we will have two groups. We'll continue check in here and in a day or two another short course group will form!

Very excited!!!

2012-10-18 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran

Hope it is not too late to join...

NAME gti123/Greg Inabinet

STORY - 46 yo, male living in Northern Va (suburbs of Washington DC).  Decided to start training for tris as a way to get into shape 2.5 years ago after watching a marathon of Kona triathlons on Universal Sports one January 1st. Started training and got hooked.  Was planning on my first sprint tri that May but a couple weeks prior had a bike accident that required surgery (plate and screws) on my right collar bone.  After recovering completed the sprint tri I had been training for when I had the accident and did it again this year along with an oly (Nations triathlon in DC).

Family Status - Married, have a 23 y.o. daughter.

?Current training - Swim 2X per week; 1 short/speed workout 1500m 1 long 2000 workout.  Bike 2X per week - 1 short 15 miles, 1 long 25+ miles.  Run 2x per week 1 short 25 min, 1 long 45+ min.

2012 races - 1 sprint, 1 oly

2013 planned races - at least 2 sprints and 2 olys - Nations Tri and possible Williamsburg VA.  Want to PR in each race.

Weightloss - currently 6'1 192lbs, still have somewhat of a 'spare tire' to lose around my waist - if I loss that it can only help with my speed.  Very interested in discussing nutrition in addition to training.

What will make me a good contributor to the group? I am a consistent trainer and very interested in increasing my fitness while decreasing my current times in all 3 disciplines.  I train solo so having this forum to discuss training/nutrition with like minded folks would be a gret addition! I have found that the forums on this site really help to keep me informed and motivated.

2012-10-18 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4458910

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Greg,

I really really want you to be part of one of these groups, but for now I have to let the other folks who expressed interest get a crack at joining. I have your name on the list and feel confident we will get you in, just give me a day or two to let the dust settle.

I hope this seems fair.

2012-10-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4458929

User image

Veteran
No problem
2012-10-18 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4458938

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

gti123 - 2012-10-18 9:46 AM No problem

We are working on starting up a second group which should take the pressure off. 

2012-10-18 9:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Lawd have mercy, Q!!! What have you gotten yourself into??Wink
2012-10-18 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4458950

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Sarah73 - 2012-10-18 9:52 AM Lawd have mercy, Q!!! What have you gotten yourself into??Wink

I am obviously in over my head! Happens all the time.

2012-10-18 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

Thanks for starting up the group, interested in learning a bunch.

My first sprint tri is in December!

Also:  is there a way to 'follow' this thread?

Thanks!

2012-10-18 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4458966

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
joestop74 - 2012-10-18 9:59 AM

Thanks!

I am assuming your name is Joe? Welcome Joe. You should be automatically signed up to receive email updates now that you have posted on this thread. If you want to check you can go into tools and find the settings for forums and either follow or unfollow threads. Also at the bottom right of this thread (I think) there is a button that says toggle email notifications. That should also do it if you're not receiving emails.

2012-10-18 10:09 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

NAME:  David Tollefson

STORY: My first tri was in 1984... I haven't done tri continuously since then, having spent a few years bike racing exclusively, and a few not doing any aerobic work (did a lot of weight lifting, though, and got myself up to 200 lbs). I've been close to the top of the heap in tri (back when I was in my late 20's and very early 30's), doing a tri almost every weekend "in season" (which back then started in late June and went through eraly September), sometimes doing two events in a single weekend. I've raced up to the half-IM distance, but most of my events were in the sprint-to-Oly range. Now I only do a few events a year, mostly sprints (which I prefer), but still generally hit top-3 in my AG. I age up to the 50-55 AG next year, so it'll be a whole new group of competition. I've always enjoyed "speed" over "distance", even when I had delusions of going long. That half-IM was far enough, thank you. I far prefer seeing how fast I can push myself (even if I'm nowhere near as fast as I was long ago) than pacing out a long day.

FAMILY:  My wife Lisa (lkct01234), whom I married on New Year's Eve 2010. We met here on BT! My daughter part-time, who is 11 and loves mysteries. Two dogs, Jake and Duke, and two cats, Ginger and Lucky.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I've always been sefl-trained. Right out of high school I got the young-and-foolish idea to run a marathon. I read every book and article I could find. Through injuries and rehab I found my way into tri... The sport was in its infancy then, so there WERE no tri coaches. We all just felt our own way through it all, copying the big four when we could handle it. But I have a certain amount of training I do that's king of a minimum to keep myself sane. Since it's "off-season" now, my training is less focused, but I really never adhere to any kind of schedule. I try to run at least 3x a week, each in the 4.5-6 mile range, ride as much as I can, and swim when I need to. I find that my swim speed never really goes away, but the endurance sure does.

2012 Races:  Only three events for me in 2012. First was a sprint tri I did with Lisa in June (I did it WITH her, so it wasn't "racing" for me). But there was something still very fun about doing the event with my wife, talking the whole way, and crossing the finish line together (not caring that we were the last ones to finish), and getting a growler of Mack & Jacks for our efforts. My "big" event for the year was RAMROD on July 28th -- 154 miles with 10K ft of climbing around Mt Rainer, all in one day. I had a lot of cycling mileage, with solo 120 mile rides, and finished that in 10:20 (including all the rest stops). Lisa was happy to have that event over... Lastly, I did another sprint tri September 1st, on a course I've raced a couple times. My time this year was only 15 seconds off last year's time where I was 6th overall and 1st in the 45-49 AG, this time ending up 9th overall and 2nd in the AG. Look out for next year on this course!

2013 Races:  I have no plans for specific events in 2013 yet. I'm sure I'll do the same sprint tri over Labor Day weekend, and hopefully will set a new standard for the 50-55 AG.

2013 Goals:   Mostly my goals are just to keep myself healthy, stay on top of the training enough to keep my edge, and have a good time with it. I'll be turning 50 next year, so I have a long training day that I have planned. And I want to do a long run/hike out at Crystal Mountain -- like an all-day speed hike around the whole basin. Lastly, I'm looking at putting on a Burrito next year -- a continuous tri (swim-bike-run-swim-bike-run...) over a specified time limit, and the winner is the one who completes the most legs. We're looking at doing it as a 4-hour race, and I have a venue all picked out, just have to put in the rest of the footwork on it.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I lost 14 lbs this year, and really haven't been trying. Truly. The only nutritional change I made was to mix my Mt Dew with half diet (just cut out some sugar, not to lose weight). I eat a LOT. And often. The weight loss really just came from the long riding. Heh... I'm getting cut again!

Edited by briderdt 2012-10-18 10:09 AM
2012-10-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4458989

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
quincyf - 2012-10-18 8:08 AM
joestop74 - 2012-10-18 9:59 AM

Thanks!

I am assuming your name is Joe? Welcome Joe. You should be automatically signed up to receive email updates now that you have posted on this thread. If you want to check you can go into tools and find the settings for forums and either follow or unfollow threads. Also at the bottom right of this thread (I think) there is a button that says toggle email notifications. That should also do it if you're not receiving emails.

Ah yes, thank you very much...and yes, my name is Joe.

2012-10-18 10:15 AM

Veteran

Hello.  My name is Cathy, and I'd like to join the group.  I don't have time to post anything now, but will post my info later.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fast Twitch Tri-FULL Rss Feed  

of 56