General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thoughts on bikes styles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-30 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Subject: thoughts on bikes styles
So I'm a newb, finished my first tri, my first 5ks, my first mudruns, my first informal local club time trial, and my first gran fondo (50 miler) this year. It's been a great year, I had the time of my life and I'm now trying to figure out where I want to go with all this. Tris have always been my dream and biking is my passion, everything else is just icing.

I will only be doing sprint and oly distance for tris for the forseeable future and hope to get into some crits and other bike rides. I noticed during the olympics that most of the triathletes used road bikes, not the aero time trial bikes and didn't realize why until just recently during my my bike refit on my road bike when the guy said that for short distance I would probably be better off with a road bike that is comfortable rather than a TT bike.

So now not only am I actually thinking about taking off the clip ons I've been using and put my seat back to standard road position, trying this out Eddy Merxx style, I'm thinking that as much as I would love another bike especially an aero bike, it seems I will be better off with what I have.

Anyone else come to this realization and go with it or come to this realization and ignore it and bought the aero bike anyway? I'd love to hear thoughts on this.

2012-10-30 2:57 PM
in reply to: #4475511

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: thoughts on bikes styles

They use road bikes (or bikes with shorty bars) in the Olympics because it is a draft-legal race, not because they're more comfortable.

I think you got some bogus advice from your fitter. 

Mark

2012-10-30 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

if you are all about comfort, then yes, a road bike is better for you.  drafting was allowed in the olympics, which is why everyone wasn't on TT bikes, there is no reason to be on one if you are allowed to sit 3 inches off someone's wheel instead.

in the end what you ride is your choice, no one is going to criticize you for showing up to any of the local tri's on a road bike, but you might get a few looks if you consistently show up to group rides on a TT bike.  unless you do the group ride at Ride On in clemson on saturdays, pretty sure that guy would be happy to see anyone show up.

2012-10-30 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would argue the point that a tri bike isn't comfortable.  For me (first year triathlete), my tri bike is super comfortable up to 80 miles.  After that my neck starts to hurt a little.
2012-10-30 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

On longer, non-draft legal rides the TT bike will reduce your bike split times, plain and simple.  If fit correctly, the TT bike gives you a an agressive/aerodynamic position (good power, low wind resistance).  I would say that in some OLY distance races, the TT bike can shave a few minutes off of your bike split which might make a difference in terms of making the podium.

I have a road bike with clip on aerobars, wishing I had a TT bike, just can't afford it right now.  So I'll just keep working on the engine.  You can be successful on the roadie, there are lots of 30 mph TT bikes out there powered by 15 mph engines Wink

2012-10-30 4:42 PM

I've had two road bikes, and recently, I purchased my first Tri bike. I have a 20.5 mile route that I do every weekend. On my my new bike I dropped more than three minutes. I still need to get the new bike adjusted. Based on my experience, the Tri bike is faster and not uncomfortable .

2012-10-30 4:52 PM

User image

Regular
Missouri
a TT bike is great if you have a road bike. if you only have one bike, then make it a road bike. a TT bike is a supplement to a road bike but not a replacement. this is just my opinion. i'm sure others think differently.
2012-10-30 4:58 PM
in reply to: #4475777

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

nolken - 2012-10-30 4:52 PM a TT bike is great if you have a road bike. if you only have one bike, then make it a road bike. a TT bike is a supplement to a road bike but not a replacement. this is just my opinion. i'm sure others think differently.

I like the thought pattern here.  I have been on a road bike for the last few years and just purchased a tri bike.  I already see the difference in speed on my tri bike but I still like to go on Group Rides with the local roadie club.  They don't care about tri bikes but I know it makes them nervous in a pass line if there is a tri bike in line. 

I don't have a ton of miles on my tri bike yet so I can't attest to the comfort question.  So far, I love it though.  However, I will never give up my roadie!

2012-10-30 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4475777

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

nolken - 2012-10-30 5:52 PM a TT bike is great if you have a road bike. if you only have one bike, then make it a road bike. a TT bike is a supplement to a road bike but not a replacement. this is just my opinion. i'm sure others think differently.

i agree, i have both an do 90% or more of my riding on my roadie

2012-10-31 8:39 AM

Extreme Veteran

I ended up doing what the OP suggested.  I took off the clip-ons and the FF seatpost on my road bike and went back to the traditional road geometry and I honestly like it better.  I'm not sure how much aero advantage I actually lost, obviously some, but in going back to the road position I feel like I get much more power down.  I'm not sure how it works out because it seems like the regained power compensates for the lost aero advantage.  I don't have a power meter or access to a wind tunnel so I can't quantify what the difference is.  It just feels different.

FWIW, my road position is pretty aggressive as well.  My stem is "slammed" so to speak so I'm just a low in the drops as I was on the clip-ons.  I guess the big difference is arm position.

It's just convinced me that the aero position is just not all that great on road bikes.  I'd love to get and get fitted on a TT bike to see what it feels like.

Edited by wushunut 2012-10-31 8:40 AM
2012-10-31 8:53 AM

NYC
I have both types of bikes and also do 90% of my riding on my road bike.

2012-10-31 9:24 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
My tri bike only goes outside on race day. Otherwise it is my dedicated trainer bike. Outside, I do all my riding on one of my other bikes--road or cross or mtb.
2012-10-31 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4476432

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
wushunut - 2012-10-31 8:39 AM

I ended up doing what the OP suggested.  I took off the clip-ons and the FF seatpost on my road bike and went back to the traditional road geometry and I honestly like it better.  I'm not sure how much aero advantage I actually lost, obviously some, but in going back to the road position I feel like I get much more power down.  I'm not sure how it works out because it seems like the regained power compensates for the lost aero advantage.  I don't have a power meter or access to a wind tunnel so I can't quantify what the difference is.  It just feels different.

FWIW, my road position is pretty aggressive as well.  My stem is "slammed" so to speak so I'm just a low in the drops as I was on the clip-ons.  I guess the big difference is arm position.

It's just convinced me that the aero position is just not all that great on road bikes.  I'd love to get and get fitted on a TT bike to see what it feels like.

I have a Felt95 Road bike. Love it.  Done Sprint/Oly distances only so far.  I did not radically change my setup to add clip ons. I had the proper road bike "fit" and then simply added the bars to give me a 3rd option. During a sprint last week of 17 miles, I was in the aero position 40% of the time. The rest up on hoods or in drops. Still comfortable but I did not drastically alter my road bike position. That being said, as I have grown to really enjoy the sport, I would like to get a TT bike- not as a replacement, but to supplement road bike.

2012-10-31 9:56 AM

User image

Expert
South Florida

I have a Cervelo S2, an "aero road bike" I have done all distance races on it, up to HIM. Last year I did a very windy HIM, and the last 20 miles were straight into the wind. I was able to pass a ton of people on tribikes who were sitting up on the bullhorns and I was able to stay in the drops. A aero tribike is not very helpful unless you are comfortable enough to stay in aero position for the whole race.

If you can get down in an aggressive position and like it on a roadie, you can be very competetive.

2012-10-31 10:05 AM

User image

Regular
Missouri
coolgenes - 2012-10-30 2:36 PM

So I'm a newb, finished my first tri, my first 5ks, my first mudruns, my first informal local club time trial, and my first gran fondo (50 miler) this year. It's been a great year, I had the time of my life and I'm now trying to figure out where I want to go with all this. Tris have always been my dream and biking is my passion, everything else is just icing.

I will only be doing sprint and oly distance for tris for the forseeable future and hope to get into some crits and other bike rides. I noticed during the olympics that most of the triathletes used road bikes, not the aero time trial bikes and didn't realize why until just recently during my my bike refit on my road bike when the guy said that for short distance I would probably be better off with a road bike that is comfortable rather than a TT bike.

So now not only am I actually thinking about taking off the clip ons I've been using and put my seat back to standard road position, trying this out Eddy Merxx style, I'm thinking that as much as I would love another bike especially an aero bike, it seems I will be better off with what I have.

Anyone else come to this realization and go with it or come to this realization and ignore it and bought the aero bike anyway? I'd love to hear thoughts on this.

One think many people dont consider is clip on aero bars with adjustable fore/aft pad adjustment, kind of like what many of the ITU (olympic) triathletes use. the front of the aero bars does not go past the forward most point of the brifters. this allows you to remain in your road bike position and still have an aero option. you don't need a forward facing seat post, in fact they are illegal in ITU draft-legal races. you stay with your natural road bike geometry and still get the hoods and drops in natural form. basically nothing changes except the extra aero bar position. this way you're not reaching way out in front of you. much more comfortable.
2012-10-31 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4476635

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

nolken - 2012-10-31 11:05 AM
coolgenes - 2012-10-30 2:36 PM So I'm a newb, finished my first tri, my first 5ks, my first mudruns, my first informal local club time trial, and my first gran fondo (50 miler) this year. It's been a great year, I had the time of my life and I'm now trying to figure out where I want to go with all this. Tris have always been my dream and biking is my passion, everything else is just icing. I will only be doing sprint and oly distance for tris for the forseeable future and hope to get into some crits and other bike rides. I noticed during the olympics that most of the triathletes used road bikes, not the aero time trial bikes and didn't realize why until just recently during my my bike refit on my road bike when the guy said that for short distance I would probably be better off with a road bike that is comfortable rather than a TT bike. So now not only am I actually thinking about taking off the clip ons I've been using and put my seat back to standard road position, trying this out Eddy Merxx style, I'm thinking that as much as I would love another bike especially an aero bike, it seems I will be better off with what I have. Anyone else come to this realization and go with it or come to this realization and ignore it and bought the aero bike anyway? I'd love to hear thoughts on this.
One think many people dont consider is clip on aero bars with adjustable fore/aft pad adjustment, kind of like what many of the ITU (olympic) triathletes use. the front of the aero bars does not go past the forward most point of the brifters. this allows you to remain in your road bike position and still have an aero option. you don't need a forward facing seat post, in fact they are illegal in ITU draft-legal races. you stay with your natural road bike geometry and still get the hoods and drops in natural form. basically nothing changes except the extra aero bar position. this way you're not reaching way out in front of you. much more comfortable.

That's pretty much my setup I have on my bike.  I worked with my fitter on a compromise fit that works well either on the hoods or aerobars and still have the option of riding in the drops (which I like for extremely gusty conditions and fast descents).  I ride in the aerobars about 90% of the time because it's comfortable.   I have a history of carpal tunnel symdrome and riding in the aerobars takes pressure off my hands and wrists.  I also like being able to switch positions on long rides. 

Mark

2012-10-31 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
You guys are awesome. I totally forgot about the drafting part. I'm convinced, I'm definitely going to try another refit with my aero bars and see what they can do with a different seat post and the clip ons. If not too muc of an issue to switch back and forth I think I'll do that for another year till I can afford my TT bike, I'm never going to be in a draft legal race and I want to benefit from an awesome machine like that during a race.
2012-10-31 12:52 PM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

When people argue that a triathlon bike is not more comfortable than a road bike they may be right, but that is them relating their individual experience and it is often the result of bad fit and position and a lack of acclimation to the tri position on the rider's part. Nothing comes free, and getting acclimated to a tri position takes most recreational triathletes a full year.

In the strictest sense, if the bike is fit and positioned correctly for the rider- and very few are- then the tri bike will be more comfortable than a road bike. Here's why:

- A correctly fitted tri bike supports the weight of the torso with the skeleton, not the musculature as with a road bike where the rider uses their triceps and latissimus dorsi muscles to support their torso on the handlebars. A correctly fitted triathlon bike uses the humerus bone to support the weight of the torso on the handlebars. Here is where the problem comes in: Most fitters and almost no triathletes (including pros) know this about bike fit. Dan Empfield, who invented the triathlon bike, teaches this skeletal support approach to fitting at his FIST tri bike fitting classes. I see top pros and top industry people turn in good race results even on rotten positions. The thing is, they'd be even faster and more comfortable on a good fit.

- On a  correctly fitted (and remember, most aren't) tri bike the angle between the femur and torso is more "open" than on a road bike, particularly at the top of the pedal stroke. This is because of the more advanced seat tube angle. As a result, even though your torso may be closer to horizontal on a tri bike (depending on your set-up) the angle between femur and torso is actually more open on the tri bike than the road bike. A key error most tri bike fitters make is to get a customer on a frame that is too small and then not be able to advance the seat angle enough for the bike to remain stable and have enough reach with an open, relaxed hip angle.

- A well designed tri bike has a slightly different front end geometry that makes it more stable, usually a little more fork trail and/or a more relaxed head tube angle.

- An optimally fitted tri bike puts less weight on the saddle, relieving saddle discomfort by resdistributing almost 10-15% more of the riders weight on the elbow pads (supported by the skeleton- remember) than on a road bike with an upright positon.

At least one Universtiy study, the Garside Study (Google it) substantiated that athletes tend run faster at the same level of exertion off a triathlon bike that a road bike.

So why, then, do tri bikes often get a reputation for being "less comfortable" and "harder to ride" than road bikes? A big part of the reason is they are heavily dependent on good fit and position. Even today, when every bike shop touts their bike fitting ability, not many are truly well versed in FIST compliant triathlon bike fitting.

Also, the forum dogma perpetuates the "uncomfortable triathlon bike" mindset. Here's how: People active on forums will switch from a road bike to a tri bike, take a quick test ride on a bike not optimally fitted from them, or have a tri bike fitted to them by a fitter who is not well versed in an open torso, FIST compliant fitting protocol. In that case- they are 100% right- the darn thing will never be comfortable. Additionally, they will ride the thing 3 months and pronounce it "uncomfortable" when they are only about 1/4th of the way to being acclimated to it (remember, it takes a year).

So, it isn't as simple as, "Road bike comfortable, tri bike uncomfortable". That is the "forum answer", the quick and incomplete dogma. It's worth knowing the whole story.

2012-10-31 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Hi Tom, thanks for your thoughts. I like your input, just wondering, if you believe that most fits are wrong, what bike fit you would recommend? I got Retul'd.

Additionally I was thinking, since I have virtual power on my trainer, has anyone else that has a road bike fitted for road and aero compared the numbers? Do you have more power in one or the other? Should we? or are we just paying for aero and being able to run off the bike better (definitely nothing to shake a stick at, just asking)
2012-10-31 1:34 PM
in reply to: #4477094

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

"...what bike fit you would recommend?  I got Retul'd."

Remember that fit systems such as RETUL, Guru's fit system, Serotta Size Cycle, NECA's Fit Kit and the others are tools.

In the hands of a skilled fitter they will all produce identical results. In the end, a RETUL or Fit Kit bike fitting should be no different than any other fit. The different fit systems are simply diagnostic and customer service methodologies.

It is the knowledge and experience of the bike fitter that make the fit, not the system they are using.

Moderating a position optimized for power output at given levels of exertion and a position that has relatively low drag numbers is a complex task. It's also a moving target. The optimal position for a hilly race is likely to be slightly different than the optimal position for a flat, windy race. So, a reasonable balance has to be acheived with the tools at our disposal.

Since there is only one retailer with an in-house wind tunnel (Faster, in Scottsdale, Arizona) the majority of dealers will fit within their level of diagnostic capability. Sophisticated ones use a power measurement/heart monitor device to evaluate position, others rely on their experience and the feedback of the rider.

You can't guess at aero. It isn't always as simple as lower is faster.

2012-11-01 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4477031

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Tom Demerly. - 2012-10-31 2:52 PM

When people argue that a triathlon bike is not more comfortable than a road bike they may be right, but that is them relating their individual experience and it is often the result of bad fit and position and a lack of acclimation to the tri position on the rider's part. Nothing comes free, and getting acclimated to a tri position takes most recreational triathletes a full year.

I think that it really depends on what you mean by comfortable and under what circumstances you want the bike to be comfortable. My tribike is "comfortable" to race on for 40km when riding at a fairly constant power that is >90% of FTP but for non-racing situations or even longer races, I would need to make some changes to my fit in order to be comfortable. OTOH, my other bikes are setup to comfortable for their primary uses; when it comes to comfort for training, I would grab any of my road bikes over my tribike.

In the strictest sense, if the bike is fit and positioned correctly for the rider - and very few are - then the tri bike will be more comfortable than a road bike. Here's why:

- A correctly fitted tri bike supports the weight of the torso with the skeleton, not the musculature as with a road bike where the rider uses their triceps and latissimus dorsi muscles to support their torso on the handlebars. A correctly fitted triathlon bike uses the humerus bone to support the weight of the torso on the handlebars. Here is where the problem comes in: Most fitters and almost no triathletes (including pros) know this about bike fit. Dan Empfield, who invented the triathlon bike, teaches this skeletal support approach to fitting at his FIST tri bike fitting classes. I see top pros and top industry people turn in good race results even on rotten positions. The thing is, they'd be even faster and more comfortable on a good fit.

- On a correctly fitted (and remember, most aren't) tri bike the angle between the femur and torso is more "open" than on a road bike, particularly at the top of the pedal stroke. This is because of the more advanced seat tube angle. As a result, even though your torso may be closer to horizontal on a tri bike (depending on your set-up) the angle between femur and torso is actually more open on the tri bike than the road bike. A key error most tri bike fitters make is to get a customer on a frame that is too small and then not be able to advance the seat angle enough for the bike to remain stable and have enough reach with an open, relaxed hip angle.

- An optimally fitted tri bike puts less weight on the saddle, relieving saddle discomfort by resdistributing almost 10-15% more of the riders weight on the elbow pads (supported by the skeleton- remember) than on a road bike with an upright positon.

For many athletes I know (and myself) the issue of comfort on a tribike is mostly related to neck and saddle issues. With a saddle that fits the rider and their style, combined with lots of time in the saddle, the saddle issues usually go away and the neck issues become tolerable. Despite lots of time on my tribike over the years, the neck fatigue is something that improves but is always present which is part of the reason why I prefer my other bikes over my tribike for most riding.

- A well designed tri bike has a slightly different front end geometry that makes it more stable, usually a little more fork trail and/or a more relaxed head tube angle.

I think that this is one of the most misunderstood elements of tribike design; since the bike is designed to be stable and go fast in a straight line, the handling will be different than a road bike. Many riders interpret this as being "twitchy" because the bike is slower to respond to control inputs so they then over control and when the bike does respond, it is more than the rider anticipates.

At least one Universtiy study, the Garside Study (Google it) substantiated that athletes tend run faster at the same level of exertion off a triathlon bike that a road bike.

Probably also worth noting that there are huge issues with the Garside study and that the results have not been reliably replicated. Bottom line, some athletes will run better off a tribike, some will run better off a road bike and some will not find any difference. Bike pacing is going to be a much larger factor than the seat tube angle when it comes to run performance in a triathlon.

Shane

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » thoughts on bikes styles Rss Feed