General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold HM attire advice? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-02 2:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: Cold HM attire advice?

Hey all,

I'm running a HM on Sunday, and the weather is projected to be about 30 degrees (wind chill, I think 36 straight up, with SUN, thankfully) at race time, only rising about 5 degrees over the course of the race (unless I REALLY blow up - then maybe 8 degrees by the time I'm done). 

I'm inclined to HTFU and race in shorts and a short sleeve running shirt, as I tend to heat up.  However, 30 is brrrrrrrrisk to be sweaty for 2 hours (or hopefully quite a bit less than that...).

In the end, I expect to be oblivious from the wonderful pain of racing, but want to best manage my temp for performance.  Should I bring an old sweat shirt and shuck it if I heat up?  Rip away pants like the NBA (what a mental picture!)?  Hat to cover the stylishly BALD pate?  I haven't raced in the cold for that distance, so have NO IDEA what is even the norm.

What would you all do?

Thanks!

2012-11-02 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4481124

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Cold HM attire advice?

It's one of those things that it's just going to depend upon you and how you handle various weather conditions, but I ran 9 miles last night in 38 degree air wearing shorts, but I wore two shirts (both long sleeved - cotton shirt under a polyester/tech shirt) and a knit hat.

The legs were a little chilled for the first few miles, but after that it wasn't an issue at all.  If it had been windy, however, that may have been a different story.  I will wear shorts and sandals in temps as low as 10-15 degrees as long as the snow isn't too deep, so perhaps my thoughts aren't the best to go off of.

2012-11-02 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I train in cold and wet around that temp on a regular basis.

1. Start the race warm but geting Good Will hat, sweatshirt and sweats that you take off right before the race starts.
2. Wear running gear that wicks well. Short sleve and shorts should be fine once you are running.
3. Arm warmers, either ones you just cary with you or tube socks with ends cut off.
4. Make sure you have someone meet you and the finish with cloths.

Enjoy!
2012-11-02 3:35 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I've done a couple of frosty races and I generally will wear shorts, compression socks, long sleeve t-shirt over a short sleeve shirt, cheap gloves, and a hat.  If I heat up enough I'll toss the gloves and long sleeve shirt.  I think it is best to start with a little more and than you have the option of staying with or shedding.
2012-11-02 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I have a semi-cold race tomorrow.  Temps will be in the upper 30s at the gun.  I will wear running shorts, running shirt under a thinner long sleeved running shirt that is long enough to cover my hands at the start and a cheapo thin stocking cap.  The cap folds up nicely into the pockets in my shorts.  By the time I'm done, the sleeves will probably be pulled up and the hat will most likely be lost.

My wife will have my jacket and pants at the finish line.

If it is really windy though, I will wear some gloves but no pants unless it is raining too.

2012-11-02 5:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I haven't tried it yet, but I am contemplating wearing calf sleeves for my December Marathon because I want to wear a skirt with pockets rather than tights. Any compression benefit I get would be a bonus. It will be about 30 at the start, but 60/70 at the finish. I also love arm warmers for colder starts. They help keep me kind of warm at the start, but once I get going, they don't make me too warm (something about not having fabric on my shoulders, I think).

The 30s is pretty cold, though, at least for me. I personally would probably wear a short sleeved tech shirt and arms warmers and something warm to throw away. My hands get really cold, so I would wear gloves also. I got some really cheap ones that I threw away a few miles into my last marathon. I also wore a knit headband to cover my ears that I ended up tossing, but that might look weird on a guy Undecided

The rule of thumb that I've heard is that when you're running to dress like it's 20 degrees warmer than it is.

2012-11-02 8:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I did a marathon in 40F in the rain and was able to maintain enough heat from running to not get chilled (at 7:20 mpm pace).  So I probably just go with shorts and a shirt.  I would be tempted to wear a black long sleeve whicking shirt at 30 F ish temps.  It really depends on how cold you tend to run.  If it were a practice run at home I would bring a pair of breathable gloves with a light weight fany pack to put them in should I overheat.  Although you could just throw them down the front of your shirt.  I would definately wear a hat and think about wearing a thin thermal under it if training but not for a race.  The worst part will be waiting for the race to start where you will be very cold.  Once you are going you should be alright.  If it is really windy that might make me want to go with that long sleeve black shirt as compared with a short sleeve or no sleeve technical shirt like a tri top.  Whatever way you go, do have a dry set of warm clothes at the finish line, your temp will probalby drop like a stone when you stop running.
2012-11-04 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Thanks all!

It was a gorgeous morning - 30's and sunny, with a bit of breeze.

Went with a long sleeve base shirt, with a light windbreaker-type running vest.  Light gloves and cap.  Shorts.  So, sort of split the difference of most posts.

Was perfect - stayed cool enough without freezing on the windy portion of the course.  Never felt cold, but was freeeeezing within about 8 seconds of finishing, so titrated perfectly...

Thanks very much for the suggestions - super helpful!

Oh, and I ran it faster than goal (wanted to break 1:50, shooting for 1:45 on a good day, went 1:42:30ish by my 910 - 1:43ish+ officially, I think, but it was a "herd start").  Very happy with that, even though those single sport folks are FAST - at least that's my story, and I'm sticking with it.  

2012-11-05 8:27 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Glad it went well for you.  I realize the race is over, but in case someone else stumbles on to this, I'll post anyway.  I ran on Saturday of this last weekend and the temp was about 38 deg F.  I opted for a long sleeve heat-gear Under Armour shirt.  Bad choice.  It was on the clearance rack and my first time wearing it, and apparently when they say heat-gear, they mean it.  I froze my tail off and had a layer over the top! 
2012-11-06 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4485238

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

DabelDoes - 2012-11-05 10:27 PM Glad it went well for you.  I realize the race is over, but in case someone else stumbles on to this, I'll post anyway.  I ran on Saturday of this last weekend and the temp was about 38 deg F.  I opted for a long sleeve heat-gear Under Armour shirt.  Bad choice.  It was on the clearance rack and my first time wearing it, and apparently when they say heat-gear, they mean it.  I froze my tail off and had a layer over the top! 

Under Armour makes a Cold Gear Base 1.0 that would be more suited for this then the heat gear. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold HM attire advice? Rss Feed