Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tell me what you know about adopting a rescue dog... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-08 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Subject: Tell me what you know about adopting a rescue dog...

My husband and I just completed our application to adopt a rescue lab from a local organization in Maine.  We haven't owned a pet together, but have always wanted to grow our family. We both had dogs as kids. Several of the pets my family had were rescues and they were great dogs.

We continue to do research, but for folks who have rescue dogs, what were some things that you've learned in the process? What are things we might need to be more sensitive/attentive to?  What are some things they are looking for in the home visitation?

What are things I'm not thinking of?!

Thanks!

2012-11-08 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4490259

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Tell me what you know about adopting a rescue dog...

I don't think it applies, but we took our CURRENT dog to the shelter with us to see if they got along.

I just think in general, if you can just spend some time with the animal, and you get a good feeling, trust your gut?  Both of you.  Some animals my not like men, some may not like women.  The three of you need to get along.

Kudos for rescueing BTW.

2012-11-08 2:53 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I've had four dogs in the last 11 years, all of which were rescues. Two from organizations, two from shelters/pounds.

You can get a great dog from the warden/shelter/pound, but going through an organization that puts the animals in foster homes is, BY FAR, the best bet.  Those dogs get fed better, they come to you with medical issues resolved (typically), they have been temperament tested, and they usually have been exposed to living with other animals as well as begin to receive basic obedience training.

Things to keep in mind, from my own experiences:

1. You don't know the dog's history and the dog doesn't know you.  Just keep that in mind. Patience is key.

2. Try to ensure that the rescue has done some temperament testing, and hopefully at least some basic obedience training.

3. It always seemed to take about six months for any of mine to seem like they fully adjusted and accepted that they were "Home", and not going to move again. Again, patience is key.

4. Make sure that you are committed to being it until the end. The idea of taking the animal back shouldn't ever enter into your mind. You are the Forever Home.

5. Every dog is unique. Don't get one hoping that it will be like another that you remember fondly just because they might look similar. 

6. Training them is as much about training you to communicate clearly with them as it is training them to listen to you.  

7. Caesar IS the dog whisperer. Get a book, buy into it... the man knows his stuff.

8. Spay/Neuter.

9. Crate train.  As much as it protects your house from them when you are out, it also gives them their own "safe haven" place that they can go to.  Never go in there with them, let them have that space all as their own. Don't use that place as a punishment - you'll just end up confusing them as to why they're in there.

10. Enjoy it - you never have them as long as you think you will. 

My first dog was an absolute sweetheart.  Never any problems or issues with her.  Great temperament, very lovable, was fostered and had basic obedience.   My next one, that I got as a companion for her had some history of abuse. He came to me also fostered and with some obedience training, but he was pretty big, so I took him to additional obedience classes after I got him.  Where his abuse history showed up was any time I'd reach up overhead, or suddenly stretch out my arms, he'd instinctively flinch and duck his head.... it took a while (like two years) for him to stop doing that and to fully trust me, and about as long for me to fully catch on and alter my behavior.   My next boy didn't have any baggage in his history, but he had health issues.  I got him from a pound/shelter, and he was full-on mange and a few other things.... once we got that stuff fixed, he was great - actually, just about the best pup, ever -  until he suddenly died of renal failure after only two years.  My last boy, also from a warden/pound, was a sweet boy, but a complete test of patience from start to finish - medical issues, temperament and personality issues, destroying parts of the house, wasn't housebroken, super high prey drive, etc....

In short, each one is different.

Home visitations: I only had to go through two, but they looked for a fenced yard and general upkeep I guess. If the home and yard were decently cared for, they were reassured that the dog would be as well.  A fenced yard obviously give them room to run and get plenty of exercise.

2012-11-08 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

Good advice already above. 

We rescued our black lab, he was about 1 at the time, and had very few issues.  He was very "headstrong" / alpha male at first, but we worked with him using a local obedience school and he learned very quickly.  Now he is the absolute perfect family dog.  We've got a 1 year old, and she just climbs all over him and he loves it.  He's still a puppy at heart (about 3 now) and has a ton of energy, but as long as he gets his walks and play time he's an angel.

2012-11-08 3:11 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Nothing to add. We have 2 rescue dogs, and they're often a PITA, but lovable.
2012-11-08 3:27 PM

User image

Elite
Utah
Make sure your backyard is picked up (if no kids, can't imagine that would be a problem)
If you have a garden, I would suggest having some kind of fencing around it.

Be prepared to answer the typical questions about what kind of obedience training you're planning to use, what/where the dog will be during the day, house breaking plans, etc.  (much of what you may have already answered in a paper application).
Some of these rescue organizations are a little too picky sometimes.

We have two rescue dogs.  In neither case did we have to go through an at home interview, but in both cases the pre-app was like an interregation.  
On the second dog, after the lady completed interviewing me, she said I could have the dog.  I COMPLETELY caught her off-guard when I told her *I* still needed to interview the dog.  Afterall, this was going to be my running partner

First dog was super great.  We adopted her as a puppy and went through ALL the growing stages.

Dog #2  was recently adopted (just over a month ago) as a running buddy.  HIGH ENERGY, but she was super shy and scared of my husband and Dog #1.  After a month, she's better around everyone, but still won't go out in the yeard by herself.  She's definitely a pack animal and afraid of other dogs.  She was clearly abused in a previous setting by a male, and was definitely NOT an alpha dog at the rescue kennel.  BUT, she's doing pretty well running on the leash

2012-11-08 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
I'm pretty sure they don't care how you voted in the last presidential election.
2012-11-08 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Do a trial period where you can bring the dog back no harm/no foul.  Because sometimes it really IS NOT a good fit.  When I picked out my second rescue I took dog #1 with me to the shelter and they seemed fine together in the yard.  I committed to taking the dog...we got home...and all heck broke loose.  The dog turned out to be dog aggressive and this was not obvious in the play date at the shelter.

If it had been just a trial period I probably would have brought the dog back and said she needs her own home where she's an only dog.  Instead I felt like I'd already committed, plus I figured she'd NEVER find a home otherwise...I thought people would just keep bringing her back when they found out how dog aggessive she was.  So I kept her.  It's caused me massive amounts of stress and heartache (and one really big ER bill the day I was accidentally bit trying to break up a fight--my fault totally...I stuck my hand between two fighting dogs).  I love my dog, but I honestly cannot have another dog aggressive dog in my life...ever.  That would be the one thing that would totally be a deal breaker next time I picked out a shelter dog.  I would absolutely assist on a trial period...I'd take the dog lots of places with me to give every opportunity for dog aggressive behavior to get out, and if there is any indication at ALL I would not be able to keep that dog.

That being said, give it time to see if it's a good fit (if there are no obvious issues like dog aggression).  It took me months to kinda figure out my dogs when I got them.  Every shelter dog has some issue (well, 99% of them).  But that's what makes dogs dogs.  Mine have such unique personalities it makes me laugh sometimes.

I don't know what they look for in a home visitation, I didn't have to do one of those.  If you really are getting a lab you definitely want to have a decent size yard.  Honestly I'm guessing they probably just want to make sure you live in an appropriate sized home for a high energy dogs.  Labs wouldn't do well in 800 square foot condos.

Oh, and whomever said labs calm down at 3-5 years...THEY LIED.  Mine are 9 and 10 and still as bouncy as puppies.

2012-11-08 3:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Be aware of "strange" restrictions. For example, we will never be able to adopt (at least honestly) a rescue golden retriever in Montana because you have to attest that you will never allow the dog to ride in the bed of a truck unless crated. We drove our truck to pick up our other rescue golden in Kansas and the facility was thrilled to have found a forever home for a senior dog. I'm sure there's a solid reasoning behind the restriction, but can't say I think it's worth turning families like mine away.
2012-11-08 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good for you rescuing/adopting. I love hearing that.

Be prepared to work is all I want to add. Whether it is an adult or a puppy. perfectly healthy and well adjusted or a crazy wonky nutso dog, you will have to work. You have to get to know them, they have to get to know you. You have to figure out how to communicate together and what works and does not. When my wife and I got our second dog everything went great at the shelter with the dog to dog meeting between our current dog and the new one. When we got home it was much more high strung with several fights breaking out. It took a year of classes and a few personal sessions with our favorite trainer to get the household at peace. Well worth it though in the end!

The only other thing I would suggest if find a good, reliable trainer in your area. Even if you think you dog has perfect doggy manners and obediance down. take a training course or obediance course with them. It will give you the chance to learn how your dog communicates and find the most effective methode to communicate with and motivate your dog.

2012-11-08 5:00 PM

Not much more to add than what has already been said.  Wife and I adopted a rescue lab mix before we had kids.  Got her when she was just over one year old.  She had a great temperament but shortly after getting her we realized she had terrible allergies.  Over the nearly 10 years we had her, she was on expensive food and expensive allergy meds so be prepared for expenses.  I gave her shots weekly.  It was very expensive but I wouldn't have traded her for anything.  She passed away (possibly from bloat) at the kennel when we were on a short vacation this September.

We now have two young daughters so adopting a rescue is a big decision when bring them around children. We debated going the puppy route but there are just far too many dogs that need adopting.  Last week we found a 3-yr old boxer that a family with children (older than my kids) owned but were now living in an apartment and needed more room for the dog.  I was nervous bringing her into the house with young kids because our lab let my girls do anything they wanted to her.  They dressed her up with clothes, wigs, glasses all the time.  She was the best.  So far so good with the boxer.

2012-11-08 5:19 PM

User image

Elite

Both my current dogs are from no-kill shelters. I have nothing to add because they are the two most perfect mutts I have ever had. Seriously, not one single bad habit, incredibly well behaved, and we didn't even do much to get them there.

The only problem I did have was with a Pit Bull/Lab mix that was a scardy cat. Well, she had issues, but she was my little special needs child. I figured we gave her a better home than she would ever have. Well, she tore up my other dog, then she nearly killed the next door puppy. We had to take her back. It isn't the breed, she wasn't right in the head.

My point of the above is most no kill shelters tell you if there are any problems, bring them back. They do not want them on the streets again, or end up in another kill shelter. We took her back. She has done well there, and she is the owners personal dog. We get updates and I still miss her. She was special to me. But she also snapped there and tore up another dog.

But I really love that shelter and the owner. I would not ever hesitate to do it again, or recommend one to anyone. We got "Lopez" straight outta Compton after that... seriously... THE best dog I have ever had. I can't even believe how blessed we are with him.

You'll be fine, work with the shelter if anything comes up. You are doing a great thing giving a good dog a good home. They deserve so much more than what they get.

2012-11-08 5:28 PM

User image

Pro

cgregg gave good advice, so I won't repeat that.  Never did the crate training- but my dogs get to run around our 13 acre fenced horse boarding facility- so perhaps my situation is unique (and my dogs are especially lucky)

We've rescued 4 dogs (we have two now) and all have been really terrific.  Some require more 'training' than others and each dog, just like each person, has their own personality.

So- when you first meet the dog and spend a little time getting to know each other before you make your decision.  Take note of their personality.  Are they timid, agressive, friendly, needy, obedient, etc?  Because you'll have that personality for the rest of their lives. 

2012-11-09 7:09 AM
in reply to: #4490378

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

briderdt - 2012-11-08 4:11 PM Nothing to add. We have 2 rescue dogs, and they're often a PITA, but lovable.

this describes my family as well.  it's not complicated.  you know how to take care of dogs.  give them enough attention, exercise, and food, and they will worship you.

2012-11-09 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus

This may sound a little odd, but I have found that it's not so much that I'm picking out a dog, it was more that the dog was picking us.  Don't go in there with a mindset of the kind of dog that YOU want.  The right dog will find you and when that happens, you'll know it!!!

I can happily say I'm 2-for-2 in having great shelter dogs!  Good luck!

2012-11-09 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4490521

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

InnerAthlete - 2012-11-08 3:57 PM Be aware of "strange" restrictions. For example, we will never be able to adopt (at least honestly) a rescue golden retriever in Montana because you have to attest that you will never allow the dog to ride in the bed of a truck unless crated I'm sure there's a solid reasoning behind the restriction, but can't say I think it's worth turning families like mine away.

It's illegal in many states; yours may be one of them.

2012-11-09 8:45 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

The best rescues will do a lot of the heavy lifting for you--they will try and match the personality of the dog with the family, they will have a spay/neuter contract in place, they will offer a return clause, give you tips on getting started, advise you on which obedience school to go to, etc.

Most in-home-foster-based groups will have at least some sense of each adoptable dog's personality...and if this is your first dog (as an adult), I'd definitely make sure you get one that they know. Tell them exactly what type of dog you are looking for: how active or not you are--how active or not you want the dog to be? Do you want one who gets along with other animals, if so, which kinds--and which genders? Do you want "dog park material"? How much training are you willing to do? Where will the dog eat/sleep/spend the day? Is food aggression/resource guarding an issue--or something you are willing to work on? Woudl you consider special needs animal? And on and on and on.

A good group will match your criteria to an available animal(s)...something that may not happen overnight. Be prepared to wait. Do not adopt the first dog you see, or pick one because you like the color, or whatever. Those kinds of judegments are not fair to you or the dog.

Granted, if you are going to a straight-up-for-the-van shelter (like ASPCA or HSUS or impound or whatever), that level of knowledge about the animal may not be present. In that case, you need to spend more time interacting with him or her in the one-on-one room, be willing to ask questions, find out if there is a return clause, etc. You might also benefit by looking up some basic temperment tests/guidelines and being familiar with them when meeting with dogs. It will better help you pick the right dog for your lifestyle.

Afterwards...be prepared for accidents. Even the most reliably trained dog may have a "messy" time in a new den. Get nature's miracle, and stock up on patience. Start small when introducing him to your house. Even if he's housebroken, treat him like a puppy, until his behavior is reliable, and he's feeling confident and secure. That may be 12 hours...it may be two months.

ABSOLUTELY 100% without exceptions...go to obedience school. Even if he is perfectly mannered and trained already, go to school with him. It builds a bond, for one. For two, it reinforces who is in charge. And it's good for YOU to learn, as well.

In the end, it comes down to understanding dogs and understanding you. Know what you want out of a dog, and be realistic in the amount of work you can and will be doing with him. ANd know that dogs, like people, have personalities, strengths, weaknesses, and idiosyncracies. While (sometimes with a lot of work and compromises) it's possible to make MOST dogs fit your home...it's by far better for everyone if you start with one who is compatible.

Have fun!!

2012-11-09 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4491348

User image

Veteran
Huh, I had no idea. Being from a rural, farming area it was always the norm.
2012-11-09 10:50 AM

User image

Quad Cities
Have you thought about fostering for a local rescue? That would allow you to interact with different dogs till you find the one that works for you and your family. If the dog isn't right for you, it can be adopted out.
2012-11-09 10:35 PM

User image

Just to provide a slightly alternate view - Once my husband and I discovered more about the puppy mills and breed we favor, we resolved to rescue them from then on. Unfortunately our second rescue didn't go well. She had a broken front leg that had never been set and healed crooked (obvious abuse), and we were told she had been locked in a room because no one could care for her. She ran away the first or second day (my husband lured her back with an open front door and bacon), wouldn't let anyone near her for a month, and remained always afraid of my husband. The other rescue, which is an absolute sweetheart, was her only comfort. We gave her several months, and I thought she'd finally been rehab'd, when she snapped at and nearly bit the neighbor's little girl when she was playing in our yard. I called the rescue agency for our next step, but a dog with a bite history cannot be re-homed. It still bothers me.

We still have the first rescue, and our third rescue was a god-send. I suspect they're a bonded pair, and both are great with the kids. Even with our other experience, we will continue to rescue.

2012-11-10 6:08 PM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

My husband and I foster dogs for a local rescue (we're on our second foster dog right now, and she's been with us since May), and have two dogs of our own who are both rescues. 

When the group we foster for does a home visit they are just looking to make sure that your home would be a fit place for a dog to live.  They may not (although this may be different with other organizations) have a specific checklist of things that they are looking for, but the person doing the visit will want to see what kind of home the dog would be living in.  A fenced yard, for example, may not be a requirement - I can say this with some confidence, because we do not have a fenced yard, and yet are still allowed to foster.  If you don't have a fence, though, you may want to think about how you will keep the dog on your property and safe, especially in the first few months (our current foster gets leashed to a long rope attached to a tree when she goes out - she has a very strong prey drive, and we can't trust her not to run off yet).

Things to ask about/keep in mind will differ depending on whether the dog is in a kennel or in a foster home.  Generally, I would ask EVERYTHING you might want to know about them - how they react to specific things that they will encounter in your area; how they are with kids; other dogs; prey drive; resource guarding issues; behaviour on leash; basic obedience (what does the dog already know). If the dog is in a foster home, they are more likely to have complete answers for you.  I would also suggest keeping an open lane of communication - after your initial round of questions, you might come up with more later, and it will be helpful if you can contact the knowledgable person(s) to get more information.

Another thing to keep in mind, though, is that (with some exceptions, obviously), the dog's personality may change as it is shaped by the way you and your family treat the dog.  For example, our second dog has changed a lot in the 3 years that she has lived with us; when we brought her home, she was very nervous and skittish.  Now she is an absolute sweetheart and unbelievably friendly (at the dog park, she likes to say "hello" to everyone, both human and canine); she gets along with pretty much all other dogs and has been great with helping our foster dogs settle in and learn our routine.  With that being said, you will want to think about whether there are any behaviours that you are not willing to tolerate, and be prepared to ask difficult questions to see whether that dog has any known history with respect to that behaviour.

This is a long post, but if you want more information, please feel free to PM me and I can try to help!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Tell me what you know about adopting a rescue dog... Rss Feed