General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-08-19 2:15 PM
in reply to: Detroit Dan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Me too! Will be IM #3 for me. Looking forward to a lot of hill training!

2013-08-19 4:33 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Noticed the race still hasn't sold out. What is everyone's opinion on this race/course? I've heard the local support is awesome but haven't heard much about the course, weather, etc.
2013-08-19 4:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by devilfan02

Noticed the race still hasn't sold out. What is everyone's opinion on this race/course? I've heard the local support is awesome but haven't heard much about the course, weather, etc.

my overall opinion is that it was an excellent race.
swim - cool but not cold (unlike the 70.3 in June). a little congested, but otherwise a good spot for a swim. clean.
bike - excellent roads. closed to traffic. yes, hilly, and difficult headwind on the second loop for nearly 40 miles. but nice course.
run - not flat as some might gloss over. but there is a long flat gravel road you run that was an old train track. overall good course.

weather can be tricky as fronts come in often and can cause a lot of rain with overcast skies and windy cold days. Got here tues and it was storming so hard I had to turn around back to the hotel. but luckily cleared up to a beautiful sunny weekend for the race. perfect.

people are very nice, and friendly - most will start speaking french and nearly all things (ie. signs) written in french...not really a problem, since most are bilingual with english. but I did notice that some of the english translations have significant errors in our race materials!!

the resort area is fun, and is great to hang around when you aren't doing anything. best to find accomodations here, as race parking is very limited.

I'd give it an A+ rating

Edited by metafizx 2013-08-19 4:59 PM
2013-08-19 5:11 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Originally posted by metafizx

swim - cool but not cold (unlike the 70.3 in June). a little congested, but otherwise a good spot for a swim. clean.
bike - excellent roads. closed to traffic. yes, hilly, and difficult headwind on the second loop for nearly 40 miles. but nice course.
run - not flat as some might gloss over. but there is a long flat gravel road you run that was an old train track. overall good course.

weather can be tricky as fronts come in often and can cause a lot of rain with overcast skies and windy cold days. Got here tues and it was storming so hard I had to turn around back to the hotel. but luckily cleared up to a beautiful sunny weekend for the race. perfect.

people are very nice, and friendly - most will start speaking french and nearly all things (ie. signs) written in french...not really a problem, since most are bilingual with english. but I did notice that some of the english translations have significant errors in our race materials!!

the resort area is fun, and is great to hang around when you aren't doing anything. best to find accomodations here, as race parking is very limited.

I'd give it an A+ rating

Awesome, thanks for the writeup! Last question - Is it s difficult site to travel to? I'd be flying in from the US.
2013-08-19 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Originally posted by metafizx

people are very nice, and friendly - most will speaking french and nearly all things (ie. signs) written in french...not really a problem, since most are bilingual with english. but I did notice that some of the english translations have significant errors in our race materials!!

I'd give it an A+ rating

X2
Did LP x3 and I liked IMMT better. Locals totally into the race, atmosphere for family can't be beat. Course challenging but fair, road conditions are some of the best I have raced on. IMMT puts on a great show from beginning to the end, fireworks nightly, parade through the village, even the post race food was better. I will be back again, just make sure u learn you km to mile conversions.
2013-08-19 5:57 PM
in reply to: devilfan02

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

Awesome, thanks for the writeup! Last question - Is it s difficult site to travel to? I'd be flying in from the US.

not at all. I flew from hawaii, to chicago....short flight to Montreal YUL airport.

about 1.5 hr drive to MT

2013-08-19 7:10 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I just signed up for 2014!
2013-08-19 9:56 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

Any recommendations on where to stay, looking for budget? Spent about 130-140 USD/night at Lake Placid this year, hoping to find something comparable. I don't mind if it is a bit out of town.
2013-08-20 9:17 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by ImSore

Any recommendations on where to stay, looking for budget? Spent about 130-140 USD/night at Lake Placid this year, hoping to find something comparable. I don't mind if it is a bit out of town.

I stayed at Chateau Beauvallon. Very nice hotel off of Montee Ryan, about 2 miles from Pedestrian Village.
Still here actually...they have 1 bedroom suites w kitchen, so I cooked most meals in the room.

They are a little touchy on the bike in the room, but they allow it for Ironman.

As for staying off-site, the parking fills up quickly in the village, so you have to get there early. On race day, I left at 4am and it wasn't a problem, but within 30 mins it was getting packed.

If you find a place further away, maybe in St Jovite, it probably is cheaper. But the travel time is about 15-20 minutes. They block all the roads, and it is a bit of a mess to get through, but you can. Also you can't get anywhere until after 6pm on race day, so if you are a fast IMer, then you might need to wait around to leave. I got done at 7:30pm so it wasn't an issue.

2013-08-20 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
The Cold North
I'm in for 2014 (and also for the half). This will be my second IM. I just did LP this year, but raced it 2 weeks off a tibial stress fracture, so I'm looking for some IM redemption in 2014.
2013-08-20 1:42 PM
in reply to: erincs

I'm in for IMMT 2014 too!! Looking forward to a great year of training....

2013-08-20 4:03 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Regular
Maynard, MA
This was my first IM. And I highly recommend it. The bike was very hilly and that is almost and understatement. But what you make up for going slow on the up hills you gain the speed on the down hills. There are a few hills on the run coures that where bad, but most people I saw where walking up them. The volunteers are amazing! Awesome energy and even the towns people got involved. There is also a lot to do at the resort.
2013-08-22 12:22 PM
in reply to: orangeace

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Quick question for anyone who rented a house/condo - is air conditioning the norm up there in the summer? Coming from Texas, we're pretty used to having it on full blast and I consider both myself and my husband to be warm natured. I have been exchanging emails with a condo owner and he says that first floor units are plenty cool without A/C and that they've never had any complaints, even during the "heat waves" of the summer.
2013-08-22 6:29 PM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

User image

New user

Columbus
Stay at the Tour Des Voygeurs!!!

My family is from Ohio and we made the trip up there this year for the first IM. Our recommendation is stay in the village if you can. We stayed at Tour des Voyageurs - Les Suites Tremblant. It had everything you could ask for. Full kitchen. Separate bedroom and very close to everything. Race morning I left the room at 5:00 to drop off my race day supplies and pump up tires......and was back to the room by 5:20. I was able to relax in the room until 6AM then it was only at 10 min walk to the swim start. On the days before the race you could still be part of the action and duck back to the room in a split second. You do not miss a thing there!!!

2013-08-23 8:07 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Veteran
, New York
IMO, much nicer venue than Lake Placid. Only part I would complain about was the swim start...being stuck in the second to last wave was rough and the lake had more chop than Mirror Lake. Bike and run course were both beautiful. Bike had about the same climbing as LP but the wind you hit makes it slightly harder. The finish from the run is unbeatable, running downhill on a red carpet.

In terms of where to stay, my family stayed at the Marriott Residence and it was by far the most ideal location. Many other athletes stayed further up the resort (many of the hotels in the Mt Tremblant resort are up along the top of a big hill)...so you had to either walk up and down the relatively steep hill over and over again or wait in line for the gondola, which could take a while. The Marriot is literally a 3 minute walk from the transition area and is right where it starts to go uphill so it was super convenient. I felt bad for all the people staying further up and having to walk their bikes up that steep hill after racing!
2013-08-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: elrasc06

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
For those of you that stayed in the village, did you book through the Hotel directly or through Tremblant.ca?? I would like to stay in the Village if possible but everything quoted was a little too much (still cheaper then placid) since we have 8-10ppl traveling up for this. I have been looking out of the village but still only 1-2km away and they are much cheaper and offer free shuttles to the village. Just FYI incase you have a large group traveling up.

2013-08-23 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
For those still on the fence for 2014, go for it. I did the half in 2012 and the full this year. It is an amazing venue with a fantastic course. We stayed for three nights at Le Kandahar, which was literally a 2 min walk to transition and the athlete village. It was around $1000 for three nights, yes a bit pricey, but very convenient, especially for my wife and our 4 month old. She could go back to our room in between seeing me out on the course.

I had a mental meltdown on the run, not taking in proper nutrition and simply not focusing enough, and missed a Kona slot by 7 seconds, so I'm still a bit bummed by that. I just signed up for 70.3 Muskoka, which is in two weeks, with the hope of redeeming my season.
2013-08-23 11:59 AM
in reply to: natethomas2000

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by natethomas2000

For those still on the fence for 2014, go for it. I did the half in 2012 and the full this year. It is an amazing venue with a fantastic course. We stayed for three nights at Le Kandahar, which was literally a 2 min walk to transition and the athlete village. It was around $1000 for three nights, yes a bit pricey, but very convenient, especially for my wife and our 4 month old. She could go back to our room in between seeing me out on the course.

I had a mental meltdown on the run, not taking in proper nutrition and simply not focusing enough, and missed a Kona slot by 7 seconds, so I'm still a bit bummed by that. I just signed up for 70.3 Muskoka, which is in two weeks, with the hope of redeeming my season.

Good luck Nate!!
2013-08-25 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT
Great race and amazing venue. We stayed at Place St. Bernard - beautiful rooms. We had a 1 bedroom but it basically slept 6 people - our bedroom was upstairs with it's own bathroom while the kids had a double bed and pull out couch to choose from and their own bathroom..oh and a balcony that looked out over the village!

We were steps from the cabriolet that goes over the village so it was very convenient.

I would caution anyone staying outside the pedestrian village ...knew some couples sharing a house on the lake and they had a horrible time getting dropped off race morning - didn't get to transition till 5:55.

I would stay in the village or in the condos to the right of the village - easy walk down to transition.

2013-08-25 3:16 PM
in reply to: skitri

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by skitri

I would caution anyone staying outside the pedestrian village ...knew some couples sharing a house on the lake and they had a horrible time getting dropped off race morning - didn't get to transition till 5:55.

I would stay in the village or in the condos to the right of the village - easy walk down to transition.

Yes, you had to be prompt to get in the area by 4am otherwise by 4:30 it was getting crowded.

So it can work off-site but I agree staying in the village is preferred. Parking is crazy.
2013-08-25 6:20 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
I just booked a place at Tremblant Les-Eaux and its a few minute walk to the swim start/transition area but outside the village. I think about 10-15minutes so shouldn't be too bad. I don't plan on moving my car once its parked for the week.

2013-08-26 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Originally posted by natethomas2000

Good luck Nate!!

Sorry to hear that. but I hope you crush Mushoko so you can relax in peace during the off season!
2013-08-26 3:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I'm in... I had a rough 2013 and am really looking forward to do this!

First beer is on me! God I love beer in Canada! Dieu de Ciel is my favorite. Le Barbiere is a close second.

Question from a dumb american... how is Tremblant pronounced?

Edited by Qua17 2013-08-26 4:01 PM
2013-08-26 7:42 PM
in reply to: Qua17

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-08-27 10:31 AM
in reply to: Qua17

Veteran
The Cold North
Originally posted by Qua17

Question from a dumb american... how is Tremblant pronounced?

I'm not really great at typing phonetics, but kind of like Trem-lahn. The second syllable is kind of nasally.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9