General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Startup Training - Swim=OK Run/Bike=Fatigue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-22 12:08 PM

New user

Subject: Startup Training - Swim=OK Run/Bike=Fatigue

Greetings everybody!

Time to ask for advice...

Situation: Month one of the Couch to Olympic - Summer is starting where I live (Argentina) so I'll miss this Tri season - it gives me some more months to train. I'm above the minutes for swimming but seriously below for run and bike.

Age/height: 39/5'4" - With aprox. 8 lb of excess body baggage.

Swim: OK - I've maintained some level of activity since my college years. These days I swim 2000 to 2400mts 3 times a week and I can consistently complete 1500 in 28-33min (depending on lane traffic)

Run: Mixed treadmill/outdoor - Currently, I can maintain a 16 min jog until I feel very fatigued (I've been increasing this from 10 min during the last 4 weeks)

Bike: Mostly indoor bike and yesterday I took a spinning class.

Question/request for advice: Yesterday I ran 16 min, walked 14 min and took the 45 min spinning class. I was very fatigued while running and spinning - sweated profusely. Today I don't feel lactic acid buildup or pain from having overworked my legs - very little soreness.

Is it that I just need to continue developing my leg muscles? Aerobic ability? Something else? Any suggested activity to improve my endurance and ability to run?

Thanks.

2012-11-22 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4507251

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Startup Training - Swim=OK Run/Bike=Fatigue
You are going to experience lactic acid buildup and soreness when you are training anaerobically, ie higher intensity, which it doesn't sound like you are currently doing.  I'm just making an assumption based on your description of the training you are doing but I wouldn't worry about not being sore right now or not doing high intensity.  Focus on building a base in both your run and bike.  It sounds like and are getting in good work at your current level of effort so work on continuing to build up the volume right now.  By building a progressive load of work your overall fitness will increase.   
2012-11-23 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4507251

New user

Subject: RE: Startup Training - Swim=OK Run/Bike=Fatigue
Thanks for the advice! Will do.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Startup Training - Swim=OK Run/Bike=Fatigue Rss Feed