Manchester Road Race Committee
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 33m 23s
Overall Rank = 842/13416
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 47/704
Pre-race routine:

got the kids up, shower, light breakfast, stretched-drove across town and tried to find a parking spot amongst the thousands...good thing my wife is from Manchester so she has told me the best places to drive with the least traffic and it always works
Event warmup:

the same warmup for this race, as always...up and down the side streets-jog, stride out, jog, walk-turn around and do it again-total of 10-15 minutes w/u
Run
  • 33m 23s
  • 4.75 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1-down Main street staying on the left and trying to settle into a nice rhythm, kept breathing controlled and HR stayed right around 150-just like a solid tempo run at this point. Got squished as we went left onto Charter Oak/Hartford Road/Highland St but it opened back up OK. Began to push and finally started to warm up. First mile=7:20. Took off my gloves (was high 30's at the start) and picked it up slightly trying to hold HR=155, my goal 'pace'.

Began the second mile which has 2 x 1/3+ mile hills and short plateaus. Everyone was breathing pretty hard around me, but my breathing seemed controlled, so that made me happy. I see the clock on the right-Mile 2=8:10.

I know there is a short, steeper hill before the turn leading to the long downhill and a lot of people let up here, so I press hard and peak my HR right here and then keep it going around the corner. I love this part of the race! My stride lengthens and I passed hundreds of people on this stretch. I must have said 'On your Right' every couple of seconds. The road bends slightly to the right so I'm running tangents...Mile 3=6:30.

The flat fourth mile is my hardest because my legs are getting tired, as they always do at this point of the race. Try to hold a steady HR, but it keeps drifting down and I have to constantly make an effort to push. Hit the turn onto Main street and the clock comes up shortly-surprisingly reading 6:35 for mile 4, I'll take it!

Time to slowly 'turn the screws'. I am weaving in and out, around runners. Still passing people-maybe 10 people passed for every one speedster that goes by me. Press, press, shut up legs-I know you're tired!! Turn the last corner and smile for the camera. :) Steady on the downhill and hold a little back. At the bottom of the hill, I tell myself that it's the last lap of intervals and 'run like your hair is on fire!' Final 0.75 mile in 4:48 (6:24pace).

What would you do differently?:

run faster
Post race
Warm down:

reverse warmup, except without strides, for 10-15 minutes

What limited your ability to perform faster:

under trained for the run after my accident, but I'm thankful that I CAN run (and swim and bike)

Event comments:

This is the only race I've done every year since I started running. I LOVE it and am thrilled that my family runs it most years.

Last updated: 2012-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:23 | 04.75 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/704
Overall: 840/13416
Performance: Good
Under 35 seed card helps: got to start in 15 seconds (I can remember when I did it the first year in 2001 and it took me 10 minutes-and then I was weaving in and out of people-HATED that year). 7:20/8:10/6:30/6:35/4:48
Course: One loop. Starts on Main St, Manchester. Slow sloping downhill for 1/2 mile, turn left onto Hartford Rd with very slight slope up followed by 2 sections of hills of ~ 1/3mile then a short 200M steep hill. Turn onto Porter St and go down hill for ~1/2 mile. Flat all the way to the left turn at Center St. Turn left again onto Main Street after ~1/2 mile and go down 300M then up 300M to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-11-23 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Manchester Road Race

2012-11-25 6:26 PM
in reply to: #4507746

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Manchester Road Race
Nice tactical run.  It's been a while since I ran solo, but I usually get sucked in on the first mile, then pay for it on the hills.  Kate took 12 minutes off her time from last year!  I might have trouble staying with her next year.
2013-01-18 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Over 50, bad summer accident and you still beat me by 15 seconds!  Very nice Dale.  Great report.  You need to have beers with us in the Army/Navy club next year after the race. 
2013-01-19 5:47 PM

New user

I also did a 7:20 first mile and had a good 9:00 second mile.  I turned the corner on to Porter right at 17:30.  I picked up the pace on that downhill and passed mile 3 at 24:00.  I'm on track to make my goal of 35:00 but something happened at mile 4.  I backed off with a side stitch for a few seconds..and immediately regretted it.  I tried to pick my pace back up to make my goal and crossed the finish line in 35:09!  I was so bummed. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Manchester Road Race Rss Feed