General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training and immune system Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-04 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Subject: IM training and immune system

I'm curious if anyone else had this experience. I'm usually healthy as a horse. The last time I went to the doctor (other than routine checkups or running/biking injuries) was fall 2008. However, since June I've had to go to the doc three times for random ailments - painfully inflamed lymph node, flu, and just today for some kind of eye infection.

I've worked with kids since 2009, in their homes and in schools. Kids are little germ magnets and I'm still rarely sick. I haven't gotten a flu shot the past few years, either.

I'm guessing that the increase in training for Cozumel, and the race, weakened my immune system a bit. Did anyone else experience this as a result of IM training?

(The nurse at urgent care today did say my vitals were fab and asked if I'm usually healthy. I couldn't resist the chance to brag: "Well, yeah, I'm pretty healthy. In fact, I did an Ironman a week ago!")

2012-12-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4520954

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: IM training and immune system
Yes, a large training load and a big event like an IM can weaken the immune system. It's another reason to be careful of over-doing it and also for giving your body some down time after the event. Keep it a bit light for awhile so things like this can catch back up. It's not just for muscle recovery, but other things like this that are harder to quantify.
2012-12-04 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte
I got a cold almost immediately after IMFL (felt it coming on the morning after) but was healthy as a horse leading up to it.  I also replaced all my blood with citric acid from all the Vitamin C I took in the month leading up the race ;-
2012-12-04 2:58 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

See, i had the opposite - when i am in the throes of training I rarely get sick. Despite taking very crowded public transit every day.  Last time I had a cold/flu was March of this year just as i was beginning IM training but haven't had a lick of anything since.  *knock on wood* 

But this has been the case through multiple marathon training cycles, HIM training, etc. Only once did I get sick from my hubby got sick after a HIM in the rain and it impacted my main A race.  I feel like it revs up my immune system. 

The 'after' of a race is different - the year I did my first HIM and got married three weeks later I was definitely ripe for something and I got it - on our honeymoon

2012-12-06 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

We got to Mexico 5 days before the IM. I think husband picked something up on the plane, and he was sick and congested most of the time we were there. I may or may not have stayed as far from him as possible, and refused to kiss him on the mouth, until after the race.

A week after, he was still sick and I think my immune system finally caved and I got it. Yuck. Eye infection is better but I'm sneezing and sniffling and I feel like I've been hit by a truck.

2012-12-07 5:22 PM

I'm another one that really never gets sick.  The day after IMFL I got a sore throat, and ended up sick for almost 2 weeks with congestion/cough.  At first I wondered why I was so sick.  Then I thought about how many hands I touched on race day!!!  Of the 4000 volunteers, I likely touched the hands of 2000 of them!  Or I grabbed cups they were handling.  Or I was putting my hands in bins of pretzels, etc like every other athlete.  Then there were all the spectators I high fived and hugged. Don't forget about touching the handles on the porta potty doors!  It's a wonder we don't all get sick!

You'd think I would have learned my lesson.  But 2 weeks later at IMAZ (my home town) I was the volunteer touching athletes and I was the spectator high fiving and hugging athletes.  The experience of that day is SO worth it!  

2012-12-07 6:36 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I felt like I was on the edge of getting sick a couple of times.  Eased off the training and convinced my body to send the extra energy to my immune system.  But I slept at least 7 hours every night.  Sleep helps with that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM training and immune system Rss Feed