General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting my first tri bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-05 2:13 PM

Subject: getting my first tri bike

I have been doing all my tri's on a road bike and i am finally taking the plunge to get a tri bike. Locally shop that i get evryhting else at carries QR, Felt, Cannondale and Kestrel bikes. the purchase comes with a fitting that takes several hours to make sure i am set up correctly (which i probably the most important thing).

anyhow, my question is i don't want to go over $3000, what do you think is the best bang for the buck? I know sometime its preference and also components but i am interested in a good all around bike that over the next few years will hold up. i plan on upgrading some components over time too but for about the first year it will be mostly stock except the wheel set.

please let me know what you like and why to help me out.

thank you!Smile

Justin

2012-12-05 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4523339

Subject: RE: getting my first tri bike

sorry first post was full of errors cause i was in such a huge rush...

I have been doing all my tri's on a road bike and i am finally taking the plunge to get a tri bike. I will purchase it at the local shop, that i get everything else at, carries QR, Felt, Cannon-dale and Kestrel bikes. All bike purchases come with professional fitting that takes several hours to make sure the bike is sized correctly and is set up correctly (which i probably the most important thing).

Anyhow, my question is I don't want to go over $3000, what do you think is the best 'bang-for-the buck'? I know sometime its preference or things like components, but I am interested in a good all around bike that will hold up well over the next few years. I plan on upgrading some components over time too, but for about the first year it will be mostly stock except the wheel set.

please let me know what you like and why, or anything else to help me out.

thank you!Smile

Justin

2012-12-06 5:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Theres a good range of different fitting bikes there so your fitter should be able to narrow down the choices for you as to what will fit optimally.  In the $2000-$3000 range tri bikes you're looking at an entry level carbon bike with 105 to ultegra (or equivalent) compenents.  Ultegra is better but 105 is still very good.  With the bikes that are left over after the fitting I would just pick the one you like the most (favorite color/looks cool/whatever) the more you like the bike, the more you will want to ride it.
2012-12-06 9:16 AM
in reply to: #4524034

User image

Pro
Houston

TriSte - 2012-12-06 5:10 AM Theres a good range of different fitting bikes there so your fitter should be able to narrow down the choices for you as to what will fit optimally.  In the $2000-$3000 range tri bikes you're looking at an entry level carbon bike with 105 to ultegra (or equivalent) compenents.  Ultegra is better but 105 is still very good.  With the bikes that are left over after the fitting I would just pick the one you like the most (favorite color/looks cool/whatever) the more you like the bike, the more you will want to ride it.

I agree with this.  The other thing I would add is a lot of upgrades can be made later but you aren't going to change out the frame. Go with a frame that fits you well and you like. You can always upgrade your components later. Another thing to keep in mind, if you are between sizes go smaller - it is easier to grow a bike - longer stem, raising seat etc. than to shrink a bike.

2012-12-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4524306

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
KeriKadi - 2012-12-06 10:16 AM

TriSte - 2012-12-06 5:10 AM Theres a good range of different fitting bikes there so your fitter should be able to narrow down the choices for you as to what will fit optimally.  In the $2000-$3000 range tri bikes you're looking at an entry level carbon bike with 105 to ultegra (or equivalent) compenents.  Ultegra is better but 105 is still very good.  With the bikes that are left over after the fitting I would just pick the one you like the most (favorite color/looks cool/whatever) the more you like the bike, the more you will want to ride it.

I agree with this.  The other thing I would add is a lot of upgrades can be made later but you aren't going to change out the frame. Go with a frame that fits you well and you like. You can always upgrade your components later. Another thing to keep in mind, if you are between sizes go smaller - it is easier to grow a bike - longer stem, raising seat etc. than to shrink a bike.

True. The bicycle is the frame. Everything else hangs off of that. The frame determines fit and ride quality above any other consideration. Buy the best frame you can, then evaluate the wheels and lastly consider the component group.
2012-12-06 2:12 PM

First off, thank you thus far for the feedback. getting the best frame is what i was planning on doing and i was trying to find out, of the the brand my local shop carries, if anyone has preference of a certain brand, keep away from a certain brand, etc...and within a brand if they thought a certain model is better/worse and why.Price can sometime be very deceiving on the bike design and performance.

I have been doing lots research and I get the first fitting tomorrow, where we will layout what fits me best. But I know there will be many (my wife has already done a fitting and gotten a new bike from this shop) different bikes to choose from the fit me. So i was just trying to get some info from anyone that has ridden/owned any of these model to try and get a little different perspective than the literature and reviews that are out there. I a lot of reviews seem like someone rides the bike a little and then does a write up, but none i have ever found are a review written after the bike has been ridden for months or more. that is what i am looking or and any pros/cons that the typical person my not have thought of when looking at their 1st tri bike.

thanks again!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting my first tri bike Rss Feed