Subject: IM 70.3 Miami or Miami Man
Talk to me, on the fence....

2012-12-06 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4525424

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: IM 70.3 Miami or Miami Man
I've haven't done 70.3, so my vote is a bit biased, but it is a really good event. Another race to consider is REV3 Florida. It is in the same time frame, but is in the Sarasota area. This was the first year for it and because of hurricane sandy the swim was cancelled, but otherwise it was a great event. I'll be doing it again in 2013.
2012-12-06 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

contrary to imd, I did Miami HIM70.3 and not MiamiMan  but every single person I know who has done MiamiMan swears by it, and every single person I know who has done HIM70.3, including myself, says it is not the best race, and there's always some kind of controversy about the course, the RD, the water, or this or that. 

In addition to Rev3, there's also the 2nd season of HITS Series (Naples in January and Ocala in March), each with its own half iron distance race.  I did the Ocala Olympic last yr and loved the race, however it is rather isolated and accommodations are distant.  A friend did Naples and loved every bit of it.  

There is also a couple of fantastic races near Disney (one is an IM race, the other local) Great Floridian is the longest running of the list.  There are plenty of races to pick from.  Check out  http://www.trifind.com/fl.html  

G'luck!

2012-12-06 8:04 PM

New user

I did the MiamiMan international distance this year. Same basic course as the 1/2, just no loops. It was fantastic. Some running was on dirt/gravel road. Bike is insanely windy. But that affects everyone. And no hills or Rickenbacher Bridge. And it's been wetsuit legal the past few years. I can't speak to the other one.
2012-12-07 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran

I did the Miami Man International this year.  Loved it.  Yes, the bike was windy but that's just the luck of the weather on that day.  I've already registered for the Miami Man HIM next November.  It'll be my 1st HIM.

Bill

2012-12-11 10:05 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I have done both and my vote is with Miami Man.   I do think the other race has better possible venue, but unfortunately they do not have the ability to put on a great event IMHO.  

2012-12-11 10:29 AM

User image

Stuart, FL

Hey Fred,

I have raced MiamiMan multiple times, never raced MIA70.3, but know many who have. This is what I do know.

MiamiMan vs. MIA70.3

Contrary to what many people say the price isn't that far off. If your registered today you would pay $235 for MM and $250 for 70.3. Miami 70.3 had a rough go on their inaugural year and bounced back the last two years. From the guys who have done it all three years they say it just keeps getting better. The courses are a little different. 70.3 you hit the Rickenbacker Causeway Bridge twice on the run. The bike course is straight out and back (nothing too exciting), the swim course is 1 loop vs. the 2 loops at MiamiMan. However the swim at MiamiMan is nice since it's crystal clear water and you really don't need to ever spot since you can follow the ridge underwater that lines up with the buoys. The run course in MiamiMan is pretty cool. You run through a zoo although you don't really take it for what it's worth. It's always hot and after a few minutes in the actual zoo you are out in the parking lot and baking. You also have a two loop run at MiamiMan vs. the one looper at Miami 70.3. I don't know what kind of swag you get at 70.3, but MiamiMan does a good job. You always get a shirt, hat/visor, and some miscellaneous items like mouse pads, mugs, they did jerseys one year, bottles, etc. We got a really good deal on a hotel just a couple miles away from MiamiMan which I doubt would be the case for South Miami. 

Aside from that the only other question I have for you is why not do both

2012-12-17 10:14 AM

User image

Another vote for Rev 3 Sarasota instead of the Miami races. I live in Miami but I chose not to race either of these local races this year. I did volunteer at MiamiMan this year.

MiamiMan is a fun local event with a lot of local support. It's by the zoo - the medals and the awards are cool. The run is just ridiculous through trails and parking lots. I always joke that multirace the company that produces MiamiMan can create a run course anywhere as long as there is a parking lot nearby. (What we need 13.1 miles ... no problem 36 loops of this parking lot looks about right :-) )

Miami 70.3 is an Ironman event so you get the IM hooplah which if you like it is a good thing and if not then not. I do think they've worked out most of the logistical hurdles they had in the beginning. It is a very international event which is cool. In my opinion it is a very hard race to spectate because of it's location. The swim is in the causeway and there will always be current and whatnot. The bike is mostly elevated highway.

Rev3 is in a little town on the west coast. The swim was cancelled so I have no feedback there but it did look like a spectacular place for a swim. The bike is one loop and for one stretch goes right by the ocean. Seriously the most scenic bike course I've ever been on during a race (but just for that little bit) the rest was town, houses, strip malls etc. I like that it's one loop. The bike course - all 56 miles was lined with volunteers. It was amazing. The run is 2 loops by the beach and a canal. it was hot for part of it but it was very well staffed and very nice.

Of the three fall South Florida local events I would choose Rev3 again.

2013-01-15 6:44 PM

User image

Duluth, GA
I heard nothing but great reviews about Miamiman, so we made the drive down from Atlanta to give the it a shot. I did the 1/2 ironman & was not impressed. Yes the wind was tough and the lake was clear. It just seems like they could have done a better job. Some of the sponsors packed up and left early when they ran out of product. It is billed as a family event, but it was more of a "let your kids run around and wreak havoc on everyone while the parents eat & drink". I didn't see any bathrooms on the bike. There were a bunch of us running into the woods. Volunteers were great.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM 70.3 Miami or Miami Man Rss Feed