General Discussion Race Reports! » Hillsborough River Quarter Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hillsborough River Quarter Marathon - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Thonotassa, Florida
United States
Endeavor Racing
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 58s
Overall Rank = 18/55
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

I had a bagel before we left the house, about 6:15 in the morning. Got to packet pickup at 8:15, wandered in to the rec hall. Met Kelly. What a mellow race, only about 55 people. I asked where the start line was and they kinda pointed and said "over there a bit".
Event warmup:

I had done a bunch of stretching the day before, I don't know if it helped, but it sure didn't hurt. I got out to the van, and got on my shoes, #, watch and Amphipod belt w/1 bottle. I went sans music.
Run
  • 1h 04m 58s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Paced with Kelly for the first 4 miles. It was a good idea, she kept me from going out too fast. 33 minutes at the turn around was about 30 seconds slow, but I figured the tank was full still, so that was a good deal. At the 4 mile water stop I opened up a bit. I passed the three ladies in front of us just before we turned onto the trail about 500 yards after the aid station. One of them said "Hey, you were sandbagging" and kinda laughed. I kept the pace up for nearly the full 2.5 with a little walk pause in there to get my bearings and figure out if I had left the course. I hadn't. 2 ladies were off in the distance and I made up almost all of the time, but they finished ahead of me. I was unsure where the finish was and started sprinting early. Figured it out and eased off. I shoulda kept going, I had more in the tank.
What would you do differently?:

More training = more faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Drink the Phase III sample of protein drink and wander around a bit. Wait for Kelly to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. This is my best time (min per mile) of any race over 5k. I am very happy with that. I also think I have a better race in me. I finished with a little left in the tank,, as I mentioned, but overall I am quite happy to have beaten my goal and to have had a good race from a pace and effort standpoint.

Event comments:

This had to be the most mellow race I have ever been to. I think there was post race food, but I left since we had stuff going on that we needed to get to. I have enjoyed both Endeavor races I have done. They were very different and I think that bodes well for the company. I hope to do more of their stuff.

Last updated: 2012-09-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:04:58 | 06.55 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/55
Performance: Good
Course: Pavement, trails and dirt road. Out and back. Barely supported, one water stop with jugs, one with people. Trail was pretty well marked, although sparse with markings, I guess they were where they were needed.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-12-11 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: Hillsborough River Quarter Marathon

2012-12-11 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4531086

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Hillsborough River Quarter Marathon

Well done "Sandbagger"!

It's nice to do a variety of races.  The big crowded ones have their own type of fun but the small, mellow ones are nice too. they're like a competative training run, sorta. Glad you enjoyed it and congrats on the PR.

2012-12-11 3:47 PM

User image

Seattle

"This is my best time (min per mile) of any race over 5k. I am very happy with that. I also think I have a better race in me. I finished with a little left in the tank"

Everything about those few statements are amazing! That is a perfect place to be. Making huge improvements and knowing there is room for more. Great job!

I think those ladies mistook sandbagging for smart running Smile

2012-12-11 3:47 PM

User image

Seattle

"This is my best time (min per mile) of any race over 5k. I am very happy with that. I also think I have a better race in me. I finished with a little left in the tank"

Everything about those few statements are amazing! That is a perfect place to be. Making huge improvements and knowing there is room for more. Great job!

I think those ladies mistook sandbagging for smart running Smile

2012-12-11 4:21 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Nicely executed race, Chris, and a PR to boot!  You've been putting in some very solid training and your results show it. Did you wear those sexy black and orange sneakers?  Congrats again!
2012-12-13 12:08 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
I noticed your pace right away. That is awesome, Chris. As Salty said, well executed race. You are in great shape!

2013-01-01 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on your PR pace Smile It's fun knowing that you have the ability to go faster. Happy racing in 2013! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hillsborough River Quarter Marathon Rss Feed