General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-26 7:32 AM

Veteran
Singapore
Subject: How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle
I just did a sprint distance aquathlon(800m swim follow by 5km run). I find that I had problems navigating when swimming freestyle. I don,t think I,ll have problems swimming throughout the whole distance with freestyle but I did not know where I was heading. In fact there was times when I was cutting into other peoples's path and zig zag instead of swimming straight.It slowed me down because every now and then I had to stopped to see where I am or I have to keep my head up("waterpolo freestyle") to see where I am heading. When I tried to swim on my side and stretched for every pull and keep my body streamlined by keeping my head buried in the water and not floating above water, I,ll lose my way again.I also breathe only on my left side cause still unable to do bilateral breathing on both sides. In the end I just switched to breaststroke for easier navigation.
How to navigate in the water with freestyle without sticking your head out of the water every now and then?

2004-06-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #33746

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: RE: How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle

I have the same problem and Im wondering if bi-lateral breathing is the answer. I feel confident bilateral breathing is my problem simply because both my swims have been in the ocean and my breathing side has been looking out over the ocean NOT at land. My navigation is just horrible.

2004-06-27 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL

Edited by soupaman 2004-06-27 10:25 AM

2004-06-27 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
I think all of us that are not bilateral breathers have the same problem.

I seem to be able to swim strait I think it has to do with the fact that I learnt to swim in the open water and would swim every day when I was a kid.

I site just by sticking my head out of the water and look, it really doesn't seen to effect my overall time much.

I know it must slow me down a little but I am comfortable with it.

Roy
2004-06-27 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
i will admit, bilat breathing is VERY weird to get used to BUT it makes things like sighting a lot easier plus swimming in general (for me at least).  well first, u must be comfortable with your freestyle or bilat is gonna be difficult.  and of course, u will be breathing on every 2.5 strokes (i think...i am counting now 'air swimming')...so before doing bilat, u may want to get used to doing single side while breathing every third stroke....that will be rough too, holding your breath...u willl get used to it though in a month or so...untill then your lungs will feel like their exploding...but then magically your swimming will rock and will be a lot more effortless.  then do bilat...it will at first feel like writing with your opposite hand...but u will get used to it in a month or so also...it is work but well worth it.
2004-06-27 8:41 PM

Just completed a Wes Hobson tri training camp and he recommends sighting evry once in a while. The extra seconds are a lot less than have to swim an extra hundred meters getting back on course. We did a drill of swimming laps with our head completely out of the water just to get used to the feeling.

2004-06-28 6:19 PM

Hey Steven,
I've grown up doing tons of open water lifeguard swims and to tell you the truth, I don't swim straight all the time either. I can offer a couple of tips, though:
1. Lift your head and look every once and while to make sure you're on target.
2. Pick an huge marker if available. Like a tree or house on the way in. It's easier to see.
3. If the swim is in the ocean, know what the currents are doing, both on the inside and the outside.
4. If worst comes to worst...follow the crowd. I don't like doing this, but sometimes you need to.

Just to let you know, picking up your head and looking is completely normal and acceptable. You just want to minimize it because it slows you down. I've had some races where the water activity has been so harsh that I peeked with my eyes every stroke until the first bouy. It hurts, but it's better than swimming an extra 100 yards due to going off course!

Hope this helps!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to navigate or swim in a straight line when swimming freestyle Rss Feed