BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-12-20 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!!

We have a great group of folks in the group right now, but I have decided to re-open my mentor group to recruit new members and to get a bit more discussion going.  All experience levels welcome!!!!

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Now

NAME: Birkierunner / Jim

STORY: I’m a 52 year old wildlife biologist that has been involved with endurance sports for over 35 years.  In high school I was co-captain of the x-c team, ski team, and track team.  After racing in college a little bit I spent many years just doing maintenance running mileage with no racing goals in mind, with an occasional 10k  – I basically wasted my 20s and 30s as far as competing.  A friend of mine convinced me to race the 51 km American Birkebeiner x-c ski race in 1997 and that is when my endurance racing kicked back into high gear.  I ran my first marathon in 1998, and qualified for and ran Boston in 1999.  I’ve done a ton of road racing over the years, 10 marathons, with 8 of them being sub-3 hours (2:51 PR), one 50 mile and one 50k ultra.  I still race x-c skiing in the winter.  I got a little bored with marathons, and did my first triathlon (Olympic) in 2005 (actually podium-ed in my AG on the first try!).  I followed that up with a half-ironman a month later and did Ironman Wisconsin the next year.  I’ve been fortunate to be able to compete at a fairly high level even at the ripe old age of 51. 

FAMILY STATUS: Single 

CURRENT TRAINING: My training that past few years has been focused primarily on the Ironman distance but I race frequently at the Olympic and half-ironman distance.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I raced Ironman Mont-Tremblant (my 6th Ironman finish), a couple of local Olympics and a fall mountain bike race.

2012 RACES:  My goal race for 2013 is Ironman Mont-Tremblant in Quebec (my 10th Ironman) and I will be doing Ironman Arizona in November as well.  On the local level, I’ll do many of the duathlons and triathlons in the Midwest Multisport Series.

WEIGHTLOSS:  Weight loss has never been an issue with me. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: After being involved with endurance sports for so many years I think I’ve experienced it all…training, racing, injuries, success, disappointments (sometimes huge), time management, coping with lots of business travel, etc.  Hopefully my experiences can benefit someone that is just starting out, or someone who has some experience but wants to get to the next level.  I am a certified USAT Level I Coach and I have recently become an Associate Coach with E3 Training Systems.  I was a BT mentor during the 2007-08 programs, as well as last year and have found that the group’s success depends entirely on how much the members participate.

First name     BT name and blog siteLocation      
NeilGoFasterOntario
?BrechtiejBelgium
MichaelMandsberryVirginia
Michaelneweyes?
ToddtreiWisconsin
GarygsussmanOregon
Scottk9car363Indiana
Carrolcklaebe?
DaveRITri Rhode Island   
George gatjr33Vermont 
Bretbmason Illinois 
ChrisFakes7 

Tim               timjim987                   Missouri
Paul              pmoores                     Canada
Craig             Cmarch Canada
Jess              jkouvel                       New Jersey
Amy             mom2wildboys             Rhode Island
JoAnne          zaj17                         Canada

Edited by Birkierunner 2013-01-28 7:32 AM

2012-12-22 5:01 AM
in reply to: #4542585

Subject: RE: Birkierunner's 2013 mentor/training group - OPEN

Hello,

I'm form Belgium and I had an injury (so I didn't run for more then one year). Now I'm starting again with running (easy start programma with heart rate monitor to built it very slow up), and I will start with swimming again.

I don't know if i'm here in the right group, but I'm a complete starter and could use some help/tips. Don't know if you want to help a complete beginner? (Because you do Iron man and I could maybe do this summer a sprint)

I'm 22 years old and i'm still studying, so there's not so much time (i think 5-10 hours in de week)

2012-12-23 7:56 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Hi Jim, I'd love to be a part of your group.  I've been on BT for 5 years (anniversary is Christmas day actually), and I've seen a lot of good info come from you in the past.

NAME: GoFaster / Neil

STORY: This was my 5th year of Tri's and I wanted it to be a bit of a breakout year, which it was. Made the podium a couple of times at the Sprint/Olympic distance, and set a new PB for the HIM (result didn't reflect how good the race actually was). So 2012 was a banner year of sorts.

I didn't have a background in any of the sports, but have taken to running, while swimming seems to give me the most trouble. I'm generally solid MOP on the bike, although this year I moved to a Speed Concept bike and found some extra speed. I originally got into Tri's because I'd been lifting weights for a couple of years, but recognized that I wasn't really in shape, and I wanted a new challenge.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, great wife, two crazy kids.

CURRENT TRAINING:
The last couple of months have been poor, as it was a long season and I needed some down time + I injured my ITB (not the first time). Training in 2012 was the most consistent that it's been, and I spent more time in the pool than ever before. I only got marginally faster, but felt that the fitness I built up with all the swimming lent itself to stronger bike/run performances this year. I enjoy running and was normally 3-4 runs per week, 2-3 trainer rides + 1 outdoor ride each week, and 3-4 swims every week. This volume was pretty close to the max that my life allows for at the moment (maybe a bit too much on occasion).

This past year I winged it when it came to training, and quite enjoyed not having a structured program, but at the same time I'm sure I missed out on some improvements that would have happened by following a proper routine.

2012 RACES: Two Sprints, one Olympic, and one Half Ironman.

2013 RACES: Starting to think about this now. I said I wouldn't do the Muskoka 1/2 again, but I'm thinking about it.  Would like to target a HM in May, but need to fix my leg, and then most of the summer will be a mix of Sprints and Olympics.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm a lightweight. At just over 6' feet I was below 150lbs for much of the summer. I'm thinking about lifting some weights over the winter just to add on a bit of weight. I'm sure it will slow me down a touch.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I've been lucky enough to be part of some great groups in the past and have learned that groups are a tremendous opportunity to share your own views, have those views critiqued, and hopefully help others while in the process of learning from others. I also key off strong, motivated individuals - so a good group helps push me, and I want to contribute as much as possible.

2012-12-24 1:09 AM
in reply to: #4546364

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
Greetings Jim.  I too would like to be a part of your group.  

NAME: mandsberry / Michael Berry

STORY: I'll be racing at age 44 in 2013.  I was fairly active in sports during High School, but upon graduation, I slowly added 75-100 pounds thanks to the Pizza & Beer diet.  Diagnosed Diabetic (Type II) in my early 30's, but no real change to diet or exercise at that time.  No need, Dr.s always had another pill to keep me "healthy".  (A few of them get mentioned in late night infomercials... looking for Class Action Lawsuit Plaintiffs.)  Finally, in 2008, I entered a weight loss competition at work.  Started eating right and exercising for the first time in years.  We also had a fairly large running group in my office that went out during lunch each day.  One of my interns stayed with me for the first week until I learned their courses.  I won the weight loss competition that year, dropped my weight to about 185 lbs., and no longer needed diabetic medications (huge financial savings.)  Started entering lots of events in 2009, including my first Sprint Tri.  Immediately fell in love with the sport.  Unfortunately, come Oct 2009, had my first experience with ITBS/knee pain while training for a Full Marathon.  Ran the Mary despite lingering knee issues to a very slow and extremely painful 5:37 finish.  Took 3 months off from running (and all activity) to recover, during which time I added close to 40 lbs.  I've fluctuated from 205 - 220 ever since.  I still enter several events, including finishing (barely) my first Ironman this past November, but I haven't taken any of my training seriously since 2009 and every event since then, I've been grossly unprepared for, and my finish places reflect that.  Having finished DFL in an Oly in 2010, you'd think I'd learn.  However, crossing the finish line at Ironman has motivated me unlike anything else in a long time.  I'm looking to put in the work and get out of the BOP group and maybe even start to place in the top ... well, quarter would be nice.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 15 years with three daughters aged 19, 8, and 5.  (Oldest from a previous life).   Wife is hit and miss about my training, usually depending on her schedule.  I usually work out in the closet, before everyone wakes up, or more likely, after they go to bed.

CURRENT TRAINING:
 About a week after finishing IMAZ, I started a 30 runs in 30 days program to jump start my training for a March Marathon that I've deferred the past two years, due to not training for it.  This year, I'll be ready for it.  My goal is to PR by 1:30.  That is, I want to knock 1 hour and 30 minutes off of my last Marathon time, which would put me at a 4:07 target.  Not sure I can hit it, but that is my goal.  I haven't touched my bike or swam since November.  Now that my 30 day run challenge is over (though I'd like to continue the streak), I want to slowly start adding biking to it.  While I'm slow at both the bike and the run, my bike is my weakest event and presents the greatest opportunity to improve my overall times.  (I average about a 17mph pace on relatively flat roads - on a good day.)

2012 RACES: Quiet year for me.  Only two triathlons, a HIM (7:01) and the Full Ironman (16:21), in addition to several 5/8/10k races.

2013 RACES: NO FULL Iron distance races this year (I don't think).  I'm currently registered for an April Sprint.  I'll also be doing at least one, probably two HIM's this year (June & Sep).  I'll probably throw in another sprint and Oly depending on my schedule.  Road races, I've got the Marathon in March and I'll probably do another one in November.  I usually run a few local 5-10k's as my schedule allows.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm currently at 210.  I over-eat and snack late at night.  I've only had success losing weight by eating a salad as a meal once/day and counting calories.  I ran 38 miles this week, and didn't lose an ounce of weight.  I'm 5'10 (while standing on my toes) so I think I should be able to get down to 170.  I just haven't been there since the 1980's.  Office weight-loss challenge begins again on January 7th.  Always motivating.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: If you'll have me, this will be my 3rd group with BT.  Unfortunately, my last two flamed out early in the year.  I don't get into current events/political discussions, especially on the net.  I log into BT daily.  Nothing inspires me more than being in a group of like minded individuals.  I love reading about others current workouts, goals, and advice and using such information to tweak my own programs.   I can contribute lots of personal experience, mostly in what doesn't work.  I'm hoping to drastically improve my Bike and Run times in 2013.  Especially where the bike is concerned, I feel I can learn a LOT from just about anyone and everyone.  More than anything though, I'm hoping people will still be around posting come June/July, after the April/May events are completed.

Thank you,

Michael

2012-12-24 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4546583

User image

Elite
Ontario
mandsberry - 2012-12-24 2:09 AM

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm currently at 210.  I over-eat and snack late at night.  I've only had success losing weight by eating a salad as a meal once/day and counting calories.  I ran 38 miles this week, and didn't lose an ounce of weight.  I'm 5'10 (while standing on my toes) so I think I should be able to get down to 170.  I just haven't been there since the 1980's.  Office weight-loss challenge begins again on January 7th.  Always motivating.

Michael - take this with a grain of salt coming from someone on the lower end of the weight spectrum, but I've dealt with my fair share of unhealthy eating in the past (present).  From some of the things you've said above, it really sounds like you seem to ebb and flow from one extreme to another.  Either eat one salad a day, or overeat and snack a lot.  I'm not going to suggest what you should be eating, or how much, just that I would try to watch the types of foods that you consume and the quantities (I know, very basic advise), and go from there.

2012-12-24 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

NAME: Michael Levy

STORY: Hi all. This looks like a good group. I was a high school athlete (tennis and skiing), then spent the better part of a decade smoking and drinking, which ended about seven years ago. I ran very sporadically for a few years with no plan, no racing, always running too hard, and had consistent knee trouble. Three years ago, a friend dragged me out to a 5k and I happened to win my age group with a 20:08, and the racing phase of my life had begun. I did a couple tri's that summer, including an olympic distance and ran a marathon that fall (3:55). The next year I got a tri bike, was super disciplined with my training, and did an iron distance tri (11:07). This last year my training has been sporadic... I hiked the Colorado Trail this summer and "ran" a 100 miler in September (29:50). I started a PhD program this fall, so time management is more important than ever.

FAMILY STATUS: In a long-term partnership with a lady named Anne who's supportive of my training and occasionally comes out to run trail races with me. Our pack is completed by Dipity, our 28 pound mutt, the joy of our lives.

CURRENT TRAINING:
  After three years of going longer, longer, longer, I wanted to jump into training for a spring marathon after the 100  miler and work on getting faster, but I had a foot injury from the 100 miler that was stubborn, so I've been mostly cycling since then and only once or twice a week. After taking a month totally off from running, it seems to be pretty much OK with my foot now, at least when it only lasts 30 minutes.

2012 RACES: A bunch of trail ultras (dirty thirty 50k, Bighorn 50m, Pine to Palm 100m), a Grand Canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim run, and a thru-hike of the Colorado Trail.

2013 RACES: Not sure yet. I had wanted to focus on running and body composition over the winter, then triathlon for the summer and fall, but it may just be a tri year. Admittedly, I'm behind on the planning.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'9" and around 170 pounds right now. I have a pretty stout frame; my ideal racing weight is probably 150-155. I don't know where I was at the culmination of IM training, but I felt and looked damn good and raced fast. I'd like to figure out how to get back there without having to train 16+ hours/week. Evening beers probably need to go.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I mentored a group a couple years ago, and it was great: rewarding and useful for me and the mentees. I've done a decent amount of goal setting and structured checking in with friends and family members, so I have some experience in this area. I've read a lot about training, diet, etc. and probably have something to offer from all of that.

2012-12-24 7:06 PM

User image

Pro

Hey folks...I just now saw the notice that our group went live!  Glad to see that we've got a few people joining up.  Brechtiej we accept all experience levels in the group so don't worry a bit that you're just starting out...that's the purpose of the mentor groups....and very cool that we have an international flaire to the gang. Neil, your experience will be an asset to the group and I'm glad to hear that some of the contributions I've made over the years to BT have helped.  There was a year or two that I didn't log in much but I'm back.  And, to the 2 Michaels...welcome to you two Ironmen!  

I've been busy wrapping presents like everyone else so I hope everyone has a great Christmas and let's see who else wants to join up and launch 2013 on a positive note!!  Talk soon, or if you have any questions please feel free to post them whenever you want.

Jim 

2012-12-25 7:16 AM

User image

Hello all,  I would like to join your group. 

NAME: Trei/ Todd

STORY: Fitness and sports were not in the picture at all during high school.  Began to get into running and weight lifting in college (UW -Steven Point) - ran some 5K's, nothing more.  I thought I was probably in the best shape of my life at that point, but didn't put it to any "use".  Continued to put in the "recommended" 30 minutes 3 times per week exercise until my son was born in 2000.  Decided not to up the gym membership that year.  Gained weight, felt like cr*p, so went back the next year.  Running a marathon was always on my bucket list, so as age 41 I decided I better get to it.  Ran Grandma's marathon in Duluth in 2011 the toughest thing I had ever done from a physical stand point.  Heard a speaker talk about finishing an Ironman last Christmas season...became inspired.  Didn't know if I could swim that far though.  Jumped into the pool at the Rec Center with the idea of swimming as long as I could; turned out to be a mile, so I immediately signed up for the 70.3 in Racine the next summer.  Some where during last years training season I discovered that in my 40's I had finally attained the best shape of my life.  What I was eating never was a consideration.  Compared to the general U.S. population I suppose it was relatively healthy, but put that into a different gear last year and will take it further in 2013.

FAMILY STATUS: Married (love my wife; she puts up with my training and my lack of being present for other things because of it, but overall doesn't like it and I can't necessarily say I blame her.  Last year was a tough one on our marriage.  Everything is healed over now in the off season, but know it will be a challenge again this year as I ramp it up.  She ran her first marathon last year)  Two kids in 6th grade - they ran their first 5k last year.  Can't wait to give them a big hug at the finish of IMOO!

CURRENT TRAINING: Just trying to keep a base level, so that when the Ironman training program begins in March I am ready to go.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Planned:  West Salem Got Energy sprint (likely as a team member) June 10th;  Rochesterfest Olympic distance June 23rd; Door County HIM July 21st; Point to LaPointe swim August 10th; IronMan Wisconsin September 8th, Chicago Marathon October 13 and contemplating a Half marathon trail run also in October

2012 RACES:  my first triathlon (a sprint) was last June - took 4th place in AG, but it was a smaller race.  First Olympic distance later in June and then Racine 70.3 in July (finished with 5:40 time).  Also, did the Point to LaPointe 2 mile swim in August and the Twin Cities Marathon in October

WEIGHTLOSS:  Weight loss has never been an issue for me, but I began experimenting with vegetarianism about 9 months ago (thanks to books by Rich Roll and Scott Jurek)  and plan to make the switch to 100% on January 1st

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I'm fairly new at this (only one year under my belt), so consider me a sponge.  Plus, I'm from Wisconsin also, so the "environment" should be similar.

2012-12-25 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4546688

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
GoFaster - 2012-12-24 9:37 AM
mandsberry - 2012-12-24 2:09 AM

Michael - take this with a grain of salt coming from someone on the lower end of the weight spectrum, but I've dealt with my fair share of unhealthy eating in the past (present).  From some of the things you've said above, it really sounds like you seem to ebb and flow from one extreme to another.  Either eat one salad a day, or overeat and snack a lot.  I'm not going to suggest what you should be eating, or how much, just that I would try to watch the types of foods that you consume and the quantities (I know, very basic advise), and go from there.

GoFaster, please feel free to throw any dietary tips my way that you can think of.  It's something I've struggled with, practically my entire life.  Living on the extremes is a fair assessment of my training history... all in or all out.  I'm currently in an all in state of mind.  I'm pretty sure that if I can find a balance eating right, working out, and spending time with the family... everything will fall into place for me.  I'm just over a month on working out regularly (Edit: Not sure what I was thinking as I put in some training time from Sep-Nov preparing for IMAZ), though just running base miles at this point.  The revised diet comes next.  

Edited by mandsberry 2012-12-25 1:50 PM
2012-12-25 1:26 PM

User image

Pro
Welcome Todd! I've done IM WI 5x so hopefully I can give you some tips on the course.

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-12-25 5:53 PM
2012-12-25 2:27 PM

I ride yesterday and today 35 minutes on the bike indoor on a heart rate of 65%. So I built it easy up and try it on a low heart rate, it's also better for losing some weight. Tips are always welcome.

2012-12-25 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4547651

User image

Pro
Brechtiej - 2012-12-25 2:27 PM

I ride yesterday and today 35 minutes on the bike indoor on a heart rate of 65%. So I built it easy up and try it on a low heart rate, it's also better for losing some weight. Tips are always welcome.

Nice job on the ride!  What type of indoor trainer do you have?   What are you basing your 65% HR on...in other words, what is the 65% in relation to?

2012-12-25 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4547556

User image

Pro
mandsberry - 2012-12-25 11:20 AM

GoFaster, please feel free to throw any dietary tips my way that you can think of.  It's something I've struggled with, practically my entire life.  Living on the extremes is a fair assessment of my training history... all in or all out.  I'm currently in an all in state of mind.  I'm pretty sure that if I can find a balance eating right, working out, and spending time with the family... everything will fall into place for me.  I'm just over a month on working out regularly (Edit: Not sure what I was thinking as I put in some training time from Sep-Nov preparing for IMAZ), though just running base miles at this point.  The revised diet comes next.  

Mike, I think the key to getting consistency is taking a hard look at how many hours you can realistically put in on a weekly basis....not what you'd "like to be able to do"...but what you feel pretty confidently that you can repeat over and over.  Once you have that figured out, its a matter of deciding which days are better for swimming based on pool availability (i.e. designated "lap swim times" at your pool) and your schedule, and then scheduling bike and run time around that.  The goal is to find a weekly pattern that is rock solid and can be repeated over an over.  There will always be scheduling issues that pop up unexpectedly and that's no big deal.  Just pick up the pattern where you left off and don't sweat the small stuff.  As the season progresses you will be increasing hours and can adjust accordingly. 

2012-12-26 12:12 AM

Portland

Hi, Jim --

Your mentor group sounds like a great one for a newbie triathlete like me. 

I am 57 years old, and have been running since high school.  I'm an experienced road racer.  I've been training regularly, although I haven't raced much in the past couple of years.  I've done a few duathlons over the years, but I've only been swimming regularly since the beginning of September.  I'm aiming for my first sprint triathlon early this spring.  After that . . . who knows?  I'd like to be doing Olympic-distance tris by the end of the summer.

Think you have room for me in your group?

Gary Sussman

2012-12-26 12:43 AM
in reply to: #4547754

Birkierunner - 2012-12-26 12:53 PM

Nice job on the ride!  What type of indoor trainer do you have?   What are you basing your 65% HR on...in other words, what is the 65% in relation to?

65 % of my maximum heart rate. So it's around 130 bpm.
And i'm training on bicycle rollers (don't know if you understand), rollers where i put my bicycle up and just ride inside, because outside it's to cold, dark and bad weather Laughing

2012-12-26 9:25 AM
in reply to: #4547946

User image

Pro
gsussman - 2012-12-26 12:12 AM

Hi, Jim --

Think you have room for me in your group?

Gary Sussman

Absolutely Gary!  We can help you on your way to your Olympic distance race this summer.  If you get a chance give us a little more background info based on the general template you see for us above.  Welcome to the group!

2012-12-26 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4547950

User image

Pro
Brechtiej - 2012-12-26 12:43 AM

And i'm training on bicycle rollers (don't know if you understand), rollers where i put my bicycle up and just ride inside, because outside it's to cold, dark and bad weather Laughing

I'm familiar with rollers but I don't trust myself on trying to use them   I think I'd be crashing on it all the time because I wouldn't pay attention.  I use a Computrainer and either use a workout that I've programmed or one of the new ErgVideo workouts that I ordered this fall.  I'm curious how you determined your max HR of 200?

Edited by Birkierunner 2012-12-26 9:36 AM
2012-12-26 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4548230

Birkierunner - 2012-12-27 4:30 AM

I'm familiar with rollers but I don't trust myself on trying to use them   I think I'd be crashing on it all the time because I wouldn't pay attention.  I use a Computrainer and either use a workout that I've programmed or one of the new ErgVideo workouts that I ordered this fall.  I'm curious how you determined your max HR of 200?

There was some formular on the internet/books that you have to do 220 - your age. So I'm 22 years old.

It's not 100 % correct, but it's very close. So I think a maximum heart rate of 198 is maybe logical? I don't know, I think training on a heart rate on 130 isn't that bad?

Tomorrow I will go for a swim, it's along time ago but we will start back the trainings.

2012-12-26 5:31 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hi Jim.  I would like to join your group.  Given that we are close to the same age, I am sure you can help with the age related issues.  I "joined" another group but then found it was more of an open discussion group.  Below is pasted over.  Looking forward to the interaction.

NAME:  Scott K.

BIO: 

54 Y.O. Male, married, 2 "little ones," 5 grand-kids (would've had the grand-kids first if we'd known how much fun they are!)

STORY: 

I started swimming competitively when I was 11 and swam all through high-school and college.  I guess you can say I was a world class swimmer in the late 70's and early 80's.  I held a world record at one point, albeit for about 20 minutes, but it was a world record nonetheless (I set the record in a semi-final and it was broken in the next semi-final).  Back in those days, an amateur was an amateur so as a swimmer, unless you were independently wealthy, you really only had one shot at the Olympics.  After the 1980 U.S. Olympic debacle my swimming career began to wind down and in 1982 I finally retired from competitive swimming.  That was, coincidentally, the same year my Ironman dream started.  I suspect that many of you can trace the genesis of your own Ironman dreams to the same moment - Julie Moss on her hands and knees, crawling across the finish line in Kona.  In my mind, that was, and continues to be, the epitome of athletic achievement.  I immediately knew I wanted to do an Ironman.  However, the sad reality was that I had spent 5-8 hours a day in a pool, seven days a week, 365 days a year, for over a decade, and the thought of going back to full time training was not very appealing.  On top of that, I had another problem - running and I had never really been friends.  The Ironman has that little marathon thing at the end and that simply terrified me.  A couple decades later, I found myself over one-hundred pounds overweight, and I couldn't run 100 yards, let alone a marathon.  Although I didn't move to fulfill my Ironman dream, I did tell anyone who would listen that, "I could do an Ironman."  Then a couple years ago, I went to a client's house and there on the wall of his home office was a picture of him crossing the finish line in Kona.  Of course, one of my first comments was, "I could have done that!"  After a year of him hearing about how I could have done that, he finally called me out last May.  He basically said, "Your going to go to your grave saying you could have done it, or you can do it."  He then challenged me to join him at the Ironman World Championships in Kona on October 11, 2014.  After a grueling two weeks of researching everything Ironman, including how to qualify for Kona, I finally accepted his challenge.

GOALS: 

1. Ironman World Championships - Kailua-Kona, Hawaii - October 14, 2014

WEIGHTLOSS:

1. Started on aggressive weight loss program in May, 2012.  Was at 297.6 pounds when I started.  Graduated high-school at 180 pounds, college at 200 pounds.  Want to get down to that range.  Target is 200.  I have lost roughly 50 pounds so far.  Started out using the Atkins diet plan and have modified that as I started training.

RACES: 

1. Entered:  Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini-Marathon, May 4, 2013
  2. Previous:  Well in excess of 1,000 swimming races back in the 70's and 80's

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER:

Having competed at a world class level for several years, I vividly recall the pressure and nerves you experience at a high level competition.  Plus I have a pretty good understanding of swimming and proper technique.  That is experience I look forward to sharing with anyone interested.

I may not be the most competitive person you have ever met, but I will settle for being the second most competitive person you have ever met.

I have this theory, if you aren't going to be the best you can be, why try at all?  That theory tends to be contagious and will spur others to higher achievement. 

Most importantly, I know my limitations.  I know I am returning to training after a very long "retirement."  I know training techniques have changed dramatically in the past decades and I know there are many people here with far more knowledge than I have.  I anxiously look forward to hearing their expertise.

2012-12-26 7:36 PM
in reply to: #4548932

User image

Pro
k9car363 - 2012-12-26 5:31 PM

Hi Jim.  I would like to join your group.  Given that we are close to the same age, I am sure you can help with the age related issues.  I "joined" another group but then found it was more of an open discussion group.  Below is pasted over.  Looking forward to the interaction.

NAME:  Scott K.

BIO: 

54 Y.O. Male, married, 2 "little ones," 5 grand-kids (would've had the grand-kids first if we'd known how much fun they are!)

STORY: 

I started swimming competitively when I was 11 and swam all through high-school and college.  I guess you can say I was a world class swimmer in the late 70's and early 80's.  I held a world record at one point, albeit for about 20 minutes, but it was a world record nonetheless (I set the record in a semi-final and it was broken in the next semi-final). 

Hi Scott...you're more than welcome to join our group.  I've checked out a few other group's discussions and some definitely have a different slant than I would like to take our group.  An open discussion is fine if that is how they want to go with a group, but imo that's what the "My Cup of Joe" forum is for.  Having said that, I don't want to throw a wet towel on anything folks want to discuss.

OK...Scott....I forgot to say...I hate you...a WORLD RECORD swimmer?!?!?!?!?! :-)  I would give anything to have a tenth of that kind of speed :-)  My hat is off to you!!  Hopefully you can give us some swim tips over the coming months.  A took a few lessons from a local coach who was on the Canadian National Team at some point.  He was third out of the water at IM WI several years ago in 48 minutes and he managed to qualify for Kona as well.  He told me he literally had to teach himself the mechanics of running because he had been in the pool all his life.  He said he felt more proud of his Ironman marathon run than a lot of other things he had accomplished previously.  If you can get out of the water with a huge margin on others in your age group you simply need to acquire the bike strength and run ability to get that KQ in 2014.  I'd love to help you out trying to reach that goal.

2012-12-26 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4548249

User image

Pro
Brechtiej - 2012-12-26 9:42 AM

There was some formular on the internet/books that you have to do 220 - your age. So I'm 22 years old.

It's not 100 % correct, but it's very close. So I think a maximum heart rate of 198 is maybe logical? I don't know, I think training on a heart rate on 130 isn't that bad?

Tomorrow I will go for a swim, it's along time ago but we will start back the trainings.

There is a very famous (infamous) thread in the Triathlon Talk forum (here) about using the age minus 220 formula.  The bottom line is, its not very reliable and is better approached through some very simple field testing which we can discuss.  Training at 130 might not be bad, but we won't know until some additional work....we need to discuss what that heart rate is in relation to other training intensities. 

2012-12-27 12:31 AM
in reply to: #4549123

Birkierunner - 2012-12-27 3:27 PM
Brechtiej - 2012-12-26 9:42 AM

There is a very famous (infamous) thread in the Triathlon Talk forum (here) about using the age minus 220 formula.  The bottom line is, its not very reliable and is better approached through some very simple field testing which we can discuss.  Training at 130 might not be bad, but we won't know until some additional work....we need to discuss what that heart rate is in relation to other training intensities. 

How do you mean?
I'm here in the group to learn some things Wink.

2012-12-27 1:11 AM

New user

Melbourne

Hi I would like to join your group if possible I have not done anything exciting as you all, but hope to complete my first Tri long distance this month. I am from Australia so I have to convert all your pounds to kgs My only claim to fame is that I have competed at high level field hockey, state O35's, O40's and O45's age groups, plus playing in Masters games and Pan Pacific games.

I have used a beginners tri program to start my training and so far I love it. I am 46yrs old and have 2 wonderful children.

Thanks

Carrol

2012-12-27 5:10 AM
in reply to: #4549059

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Birkierunner - 2012-12-26 8:36 PM

OK...Scott....I forgot to say...I hate you...a WORLD RECORD swimmer?!?!?!?!?! :-

LOL, yeah I hear that a lot!  That was a LONG TIME ago and the first time back in the water to actually swim laps after 30 years I sure didn't feel like I had held that record at one point.  Plus, the record was in Breaststroke . . . fat lotta good that is going to do me in a triathlon.  OK, truth be told, I was also a member of an 800 freestyle WR team (4 x 200), but that doesn't count as much in my mind since it was a group effort, except to say I can do freestyle also.  Now days I am just happy to finish a swim workout without the paramedics being involved!

2012-12-27 5:19 AM
in reply to: #4549059

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Birkierunner - 2012-12-26 8:36 PM

Hopefully you can give us some swim tips over the coming months...

I look forward to it!  My knowledge of swimming is from three decades ago, although that knowledge served me pretty well back then.  Freestyle is pretty much unchanged though.  I will be leaning on others to hopefully improve my run...well...jog...ok, fast walk.  Gotta improve that.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RE-OPENED Birkierunner's 2013 mentor group - RE-OPENED!!! Rss Feed  

of 25