General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Q. Help A Newbe Pick A Sprint Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-24 9:51 AM

User image

New user

Miami
Subject: Q. Help A Newbe Pick A Sprint Plan

Hi, I'm new here and want to do sprint tris and I need your help picking a training plan. 

My background is that I am a 59yr female, 5' 3, 130lbs, live in Miami, work 7a-7p 3 days a week, have completed one sprint tri (Dec. 1, 2012; 394th out of 441 and 5th in 55-59AG).  My BF does tris, I have a QR CD0.1, I have a Timex Run Trainer HRM, have a good training location where I can OWswim, safe ride/run 7 days a week. I just today started my race and training logs here on BT

My goal is to train to podium the 60-64yr AG women sprint tris that are held here in Miami aprox once a month. My next sprint tri is 5/5/13.

My question:  In your opinion, which training plan would be best suited for me?

Thank you for your help

2012-12-24 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4546774

Subject: RE: Q. Help A Newbe Pick A Sprint Plan
Hi - I've done quite a few sprint tri's and in my experience for what it's worth, the race in sprint distances is won or lost on the bike. Build on a plan that's gives you a fast bike split. As long as your average in the swim and run you'll take a podium. Turbo training pyramid sets will do you good although I'm sure being outside is easy for you regarding weather etc. I just find the turbo more specific in termsnof building strength on the bike.
2012-12-24 2:49 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

It's tough to say without knowing your current training habits/capabilities. First I'd recommend reading our  Choosing a Triathlon Training Plan article. That will give you a good idea of what to specifically look for.  Another option is our Custom Training Plan creator which will take all of your details into account. A Performance Membership isn't required to create Sprint or Oly plans.

2012-12-24 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Inland Empire, CA

not knowing your history and how you adapt to certain training, it's tough to take a shot in the dark.

but since you are looking to go fast, there are definitely some sort of key sessions you should add. like tempo/hill work for the run. threshold/steady state/power intervals for the bike.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Q. Help A Newbe Pick A Sprint Plan Rss Feed