General Discussion Race Reports! » Ripon Medical Center Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ripon Medical Center Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Green Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Ripon Medical Center
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 4s
Overall Rank = 18/173
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Had a bagel with PB because there was nothing else in the house. Should have eaten a little more. Arrived at the race start and situated my transition area. Finished up about 30 minutes before close and then stood around and talked to other racers while we waited for the start.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 15m 43s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started strong, but just didn't have the training or experience i needed to perform well. After about 200m i decided to flip and backstroke the rest. This went well except for the sighting. Shoulders were pretty sore afterwards. I really need to work on swimming. 15 minutes leaves me a lot of room for improvement. On a positive note, I did finish!
What would you do differently?:

Train more...lots more. Shouldn't be a problem since i spent about 3% of my training time swimming - maybe even less.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Everything went well. I just took my time and made sure i didn't forget anything
Bike
  • 45m 39s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went well. I had ridden the course before hand so i knew which hills i should push and which ones i should back off. I pushed all but the first hill and then continued to push the flats. I passed a lot of people and was passed by 2 others. Probably because i was playing catch-up with everyone after the swim. I did lose my steam in hte last 1.5 miles. I was pushing hard thinking it was all flat until the big downhill, but there ended up being a small hill that slapped me in the face and made me suffer.

Not much. Just leave a little more in the tank to push through that last small hill.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Did well. Grabbed a gel shot becasue my stomach was growling. A bagel with PB isn't quite enough for me in the morning. Turned out that gel gave me some heartburn during the run. I usually go the gummybear route. I should have been wise enough to bring some along but I did not. Really i don't think this slowed me down at all.
Run
  • 23m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to go at a relatively easy pace to start out with. I usually run in the 7:30-7:45 range for this distance without a bike ride before hand, so i was happy. Legs were a little tired, but still had good energy. I was just breathing really hard still coming off the bike and then having to run up hill for the first half mile caused some discomfort. Once i got to the top of the hill, i coasted down the backside. It was a out and back so after the turn i pushed it up the hill and then cruised into the finish.

Not too much. Do some brick workouts to get used to running off the bike. Flet like i had concrete shoes attached to rubber legs, and i had no clue how fast i was running. I basically just pushed and listened to my breathing to try to figure out what pace to run.
Post race
Warm down:

Just met up with my family and checked the results and saw i came in 2nd in my AG. I was super psyched for my first race!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training

Event comments:

Overall i would say this is a great race for any beginner. It is laid back. I switched from the Olympic to the Sprint the day before the race. The bike is a little challenging with some hills, but not anything like the hills near Madison. The run is nice being on a private road through the woods. All shade and even though there are two decent hills, it is an out and back so what goes up must come down. Great organization and course was very well marked. Post race has good food and the Green Lake area is a beautiful place no matter what you decide to do. Having only done distance running events in the past, I don't have much experience in ranking events, but i would say this event is great!!

Last updated: 2012-09-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:43 | 547 yards | 02m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 82/173
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Course was an easy loop. I started out fairly good, but then lost my breath and started backstroke for the rest of the swim. I need to do more swim training. Too many excuses always run through my head. I just need to stop quitting and start training. I think the course was a little long. Don't want to make excuses for my poor swimming, but it isn't that bad. The RD said they had a booyie get loose and looking at the last year's results the swim was about 3 minutes slower this year for the top swimmers.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:39 | 15 miles | 19.72 mile/hr
Overall: 0/173
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Course has nice road conditions. There are some hills including the 'monster" at the beginning. The hill isn't real steep, but it is a mile long, so pacing is key. (9) 90 degree turns, but all the intersections are controlled by police officers or volunteers depending on traffic volumes. Watch out for the turn onto Hwy 23 on the way back. The course is on the shoulder (coned off and police are on traffic duty), but the hwy is busy. As you come down the small hill you need to make a 90 degree turn onto the near shoulder. One guy wiped out, but luckily there weren't any cars nearby. Overall i give the bike course a 9 for safety, and a 9 overall. The couse is a lollypop so the big hill at the beginning is all downhill right before the transition to running. Some spots on the hill are a little rough so watch the speeds and the road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:55 | 03.11 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 0/173
Performance: Good
Course: An out and back with some pretty good hills. The run is all on private roads through the conservatory. The road could use a little work, but i like focusing on foot placement. It takes the mind off the pain.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-12-27 12:21 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: Ripon Medical Center Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ripon Medical Center Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed