General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2013-08-03 5:59 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread
Waves were released..... 35-39 1st wave going off at 7:45. Could be worse.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/14680b9c103b4186919e5b366526e296/tim...

I was able to sneak up and ride the course and run part of it yesterday (I have a sweet tank tan line to prove it too!) Overall strong day and solid confidence booster. Now just want to keep my form and head in well rested. Hope everyone else feels good and staying healthy.

On a side-note - I ran a 53-39 crank with an 11-25 cassette. I rode the course fairly well, but still going to switch to an 11-28 cassette. I didnt want to spend more cash on another freaking bike part, but the extra gears will help keep my HR/Power down. If anyone has a question regarding gearing, please ask. Best, Paul

2013-08-04 5:52 AM
in reply to: pauljra

User image

Paul - thanks for sharing the link to the swim waves. Very helpful.

I'm actually having the exact same debate with myself about cassettes. I will probably stick with the 11-25 because I've been riding it all year and I don't want to switch things up two weeks before a race.

I wish I could get up there and try the course. A bit too far away for me. Nevertheless, I did a good brick yesterday (50-mile bike, 6.5-mile run) and it was also a confidence booster. A few more strong efforts and then I'll start to taper. I'm so grateful that (at age 45) I have no injuries -- at the moment!
2013-08-04 7:47 AM
in reply to: halfironmike

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Thanks for the link!  I can't believe I'm not in the eleventy-third wave, for once (6th or 7th - forgot already… happens with age, I'm told).  I'm also in the 45-49 group (see you there Mike!), and it's nice to not be in the next to last wave for once.  Of course, that also means fewer people to potentially pass and a lot more people to whizz by me through the race.  Tongue out

I was also lucky enough to get up there and ride/run the course yesterday (probably saw you out there along with the hundred or so folks on course).  Did the bike plus re-rode the first set of hills to loop back and pick up a friend on course, then did one loop of the run.  Felt good and I'm really glad I had the chance to see both courses to help plan pacing and such (and see what the hills were all about!).  

Below are some observations that I wrote on Strava after a friend asked about the ride/run.  Worth what you paid for them, but here goes:

Bike:   First, it's hilly. There are basically 4 hill sections to start (I had been thinking 3), with only one real cranker that's a sit up and spin hill (from the left off Hounsel onto 107 up the hill to the right on Leavitt). The descents are OK if it's dry -nerve wracking but nothing you couldn't at least coast down (I geared out on a couple and sat up on the way out, as it was still sopping wet). The road once you turn uphill on 11b is cruddy on and off until you get onto 106, as are the first couple miles of 106 proper - but all rideable if you're looking. 106 to the turn is fast and downhill (stay aero) and false flat all the way back (stay aero there, too). The one steep climb on the way back is Frank Bean (really?) Road - might sit up on that one for a bit near the top - and it has one hairy but short descent, too. The one surprise was the hills at the very end - didn't notice all the downhill at the start, but sure did on the way back! All in, much more rideable than I thought (if you don't go hero-mode on the steeps like our roadie friends like to). Should be fun!

Run:   Two loop, out and back. Blech. That said, nice views of the water (which looks darned inviting by that point). Rollers the whole way, with only one spot I thought was anything near steep (downhill at about 1.5 or 2 miles and uphill there on the way back around 5ish - was a bit loopy myself at that point, but right where you turn onto Bleknap - errr… Belknap on the way out). There is one sunny stretch on 11 (good or bad, depending on how you use them - to suffer through or to crack a competitor). Otherwise, a nice run, I thought - but doing it once and then having to turn right around and do another 10k is a mind-messer, in my book. Not nearly as bad as they could have made it if they went with the hills on 11, though!

Now off to a recovery ride (and to sherpa water to my wife, who's on a 14 mile run and didn't feel like carrying much) and then maybe a swim set at Walden.  No more looooong efforts, though.  If the hay isn't in the barn at this point, for me anyway, it isn't going to be.  So, I'll pace off yesterday's HR data and go as fast as I can on race day with that as my speed governor.

Woot!

Matt

2013-08-05 9:17 AM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
I have what may be a dumb question for the veterans out there. My first 1/2 Iron obviously.

Do you adjust what you eat the week before a half iron? I have read where people say you should eliminate fiber. I tend to have a good amount of fiber in my daily diet (fruits, cliff bars etc.)

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks Bill
2013-08-05 10:06 AM
in reply to: bhurley

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
This will be my 3rd HIM, and I don't really adjust too much the week of the race. The night before I try to eat something I know doesn't cause any issues.

After the race, I eat anything I want, and lots of it.
2013-08-05 10:14 AM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
Thanks Mike.

I had a friend tell me a little while ago he just eliminates fiber 24 hours before.

2013-08-05 10:25 AM
in reply to: btjcg179

I decided to bite the bullet and purchased a sleeveless. Got a nice discount on last year's 2XU ST:2. This changed my entire world! I wound up have a great training swim feeling strong and unencumbered. I can't possibly see myself ever going back to my full-sleeve at this point. Thank you for all the thoughts on the topic.

On another note, we did our last long run and long ride this past weekend and now welcome the taper. Looking forward to this 70.3 (The first of many I am sure!)

Jonah
2013-08-05 10:46 AM
in reply to: bhurley

User image

Originally posted by bhurley

Thanks Mike.

I had a friend tell me a little while ago he just eliminates fiber 24 hours before.

Great advice to stay away from fiber. Besides the obvious, fiber can dehydrate you as well.

Here is a quick over view of my Day before a HIM. It looks nothing like my normal diet, but works. (Usually gluten free)

LARGE Early Breakfast -Pancake, eggs, toast - Stay away from grease, well maybe just a little bacon.....
Snack#1 - couple fig newtons
snack#2 - powerbar - same kind I will use in the race.
Lunch - Small turkey sub on white - no mayo, hots, etc - the blander, the better
sports drink with lunch.
snack #3 pretzels and a banana
Small dinner - grilled chicken (4-6oz) with a cup of pasta and red sauce. No garlic, onions etc. I suggest eating around 5-6pm. Gives your stomach plenty of time to digest everything. You will be waking up really early and want to feel hungry so you can eat your pre race breakfast.
2013-08-05 11:38 AM

User image

New user
St. Augustine, Florida
Thanks Paul.

I have done similar things for my half marathons. Good advice.

Thanks Bill

2013-08-05 12:24 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by pauljra

Originally posted by bhurley

Thanks Mike.

Great advice to stay away from fiber. Besides the obvious, fiber can dehydrate you as well.

Here is a quick over view of my Day before a HIM. It looks nothing like my normal diet, but works. (Usually gluten free)

LARGE Early Breakfast -Pancake, eggs, toast - Stay away from grease, well maybe just a little bacon.....
Snack#1 - couple fig newtons
snack#2 - powerbar - same kind I will use in the race.
Lunch - Small turkey sub on white - no mayo, hots, etc - the blander, the better
sports drink with lunch.
snack #3 pretzels and a banana
Small dinner - grilled chicken (4-6oz) with a cup of pasta and red sauce. No garlic, onions etc. I suggest eating around 5-6pm. Gives your stomach plenty of time to digest everything. You will be waking up really early and want to feel hungry so you can eat your pre race breakfast.

I tend to go gluten light for the entire week before, and gluten free the day or two before an event. I have no intolerance really, but it does seem to help with energy and focus. I also eat as little fiber as possible the last day. And the morning of I eat a very simple and easy to digest meal, often liquid only, about 2-3 hours before. I want to be glycogen replenished but have no food in my stomach at the start.
2013-08-05 12:53 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

NH
I also rode the course Saturday early and got in one loop of the run course. Crazy amount of people on the bike course, and I think maybe more on the run course. I even saw quite a few people swimming out beyond the Ellacoya beach buoys. It was awesome. It started raining pretty good just as I got underway, though there was very little wind. If those are race day conditions we'll be good, and I'd be ecstatic if the wind stays at that level.

I agree this is a very ride-able course, but the times do tend to be a little slower than most people's half iron times. The middle 30+ miles is very flat and the road is straight with zero technical sections. Just be careful not to fall in love with a speed or a time and hit the hills too hard. This is also especially problematic after the turn around because you just spent 15 miles riding downhill and maybe with a wind at your back. If you peek at your avg speed you'll think what the heck was that guy talking about - I'm averaging 22 mph and feeling great! But then it could be a different story when you turn and the wind hits your face and the road tilts just a tad uphill for those same 15 miles. Just ride steady and smart is all I'm telling everyone. Especially if it's a bit windy.

Paul, you could easily manage with the 39/25, but I'm convinced a 28 is a great choice, even for you. Keep in mind you are a super strong cyclist. For me in the 34/28 combo, I am pushing 325-350 watts and still going just over 6 mph up Marsh Hill. Just for a short amount of time, but that is a serious little section and I don't have any problems showing people I am using a 28 with a compact crank. It's a long ride and I'm not gonna be asked to do the Tour anytime soon. I also admit to carrying a few extra pounds, so if you guys are the 150 pound types that will help!

2013-08-05 5:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
What are the road conditions likes? Did anyone see a lot of glass or sharp objects? I don't have to worry too much about pinch flats since I have tubulars.
2013-08-05 7:09 PM
in reply to: MRDAVIDALEXANDER

Regular
Brighton MA
The roads are pretty rough during the flat portion, but only for a little bit...not even 10 miles 1 way...so you hit the same patch of bad road twice..I want to say around mile 17??? anyone else know when??
2013-08-06 7:28 AM
in reply to: espejo09

User image

Extreme Veteran
What is everyone's taper look like? I did a 13 mile run with 3.5 miles of tempo pace. I will probably ride 3 hrs tomorrow with 1 hr at race pace with 4 mile brick run. Then I think I will scale back some. I still plan on swimming 4 hrs, biking 8hrs, and running 40-45 miles this week.
2013-08-06 8:56 AM
in reply to: MRDAVIDALEXANDER

User image

I'm going to start my taper after a brick workout this Friday. This morning I ran 7.5 miles, tomorrow I'll swim 2,000 yards, and Thursday I'll do a fast bike ride of about 20 miles before work. My Friday brick (taking the day off from work!) will be 55 miles on the bike and a 7-mile run. On Saturday I'll get a deep tissue massage to loosen the muscles and keep blood flowing.

I'm probably starting the taper a little late by most people's standards, but I've been building in a good amount of recovery days over the past two months so I think I'll be OK.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, my weakness is the run. I hope I can do that part of the race without walking, but I could see myself running 7, walking 1 and then running the last 5.
2013-08-06 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Bib list is up. I'm # 535.

I need to stop reading about the bike course, and the hills. I'm going in with my standard bike set up (12/25) and will live with that. I'll go easy on the bike knowing my run/walk will suck beyond belief. . And yes, I do this for fun. And pay good $ to do it .

2013-08-06 11:40 AM

User image

This week (including Sunday)- 6500 meters swimming, 120 miles biking and 24 miles running. Not a huge difference from a normal week, I just wont include any tempo work.on the weekend.

Next week - 35 min swimming, 30 min running, 2 hours of biking. I will throw in 2-3 minutes of race pace during these short workouts just to flush the cobwebs.

I take it very light race week and go in fully rested. That being said, I hate tapering. I get ridiculously tight, grouchy, hungry and pretty much act like an over tired 2 year old. Only person that hates my taper week more than me, is my wife!
2013-08-06 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm #601.

This is a "peak" week, so lower volume than normal, higher than taper - with race intensity.  3 days of swim with a b/r brick at race effort and 2 days of recovery workouts between each.  8-11 hours total, tops.  Maybe as low as 6 or 7, as I'm going to let my legs tell me how much to push (hay is in the barn, I hope).

Next week is taper.  Monday off, 3 days (T, W, Th) of decreasing short race pace efforts in all three (s/b/r), Friday off, Saturday some openers in each (10-20' each sport, easy with some accelerations), then race.  5-6 hours, tops, plus the race split (and we'll see how many hours THAT is!).

WOOT!

2013-08-06 4:01 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by Mike_D

Bib list is up. I'm # 535.

I need to stop reading about the bike course, and the hills. I'm going in with my standard bike set up (12/25) and will live with that. I'll go easy on the bike knowing my run/walk will suck beyond belief. . And yes, I do this for fun. And pay good $ to do it .

You'll be fine with the 25, just spin as much as possible. There are only a few spots that are sketchy and they are rather short.
2013-08-06 4:05 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by espejo09

The roads are pretty rough during the flat portion, but only for a little bit...not even 10 miles 1 way...so you hit the same patch of bad road twice..I want to say around mile 17??? anyone else know when??

There are some tough spots right after you turn onto 106 after the downhill after Marsh Hill, but on the way back you miss is because you're on the Farahville Rd hitch. There's another rough patch on Frank Bean road, but it's really short and you're climbing a bit so it's not bad. After the last downhill where you turn left instead of going up to Gunstock, there are also some bumps and that's where they paved with the chip seal.

The roads will be cleaned some before the race as well - they tend to do a pretty good job clearing off most of the debris.

BTW - the water is cooling off, so absolutely no danger of being above wetsuit temps. The nights have been really cool, so the water is in the 73 degree range.
2013-08-06 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, CT
Can someone post what they actually got for elevation on the bike and run from a past race or pre-race? The website from WTC is usually different from what I get on my 910xt and I didnt get a chance to pre-ride. If you have a 910xt all the better but anything fairly accurate is appreciated. Thanks. Getting excited. Like this weather so far. Please hold on.

2013-08-06 8:32 PM
in reply to: Major BC

User image

NH
Originally posted by Major BC

Can someone post what they actually got for elevation on the bike and run from a past race or pre-race? The website from WTC is usually different from what I get on my 910xt and I didnt get a chance to pre-ride. If you have a 910xt all the better but anything fairly accurate is appreciated. Thanks. Getting excited. Like this weather so far. Please hold on.

Here is my ride from last year on Garmin:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/215466265#

And this is the strava load of the same ride:
http://www.strava.com/activities/56760980

Let's hope the weather holds. These cool morning would be ideal.
2013-08-07 11:25 AM

Regular
Brighton MA
Heres what I got from this yyear.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/345633577
2013-08-07 11:41 AM

User image

NH
Originally posted by espejo09

Heres what I got from this yyear.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/345633577

That looks about the same as mine, just starting at the first turn about 5k into the ride. I get about 300 feet of elevation on those extra miles not included in your ride, so our elevations are about right on.
2013-08-07 12:25 PM

Regular
Brighton MA
I think this has to be my favorite course...Its so underrated...although the scenery at placid was unbelievable.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Timberman : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 8