General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-01-16 11:23 AM

User image

New user
Kenosha
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread
Hi All! It's time to start the thread. :-)

2013-01-16 3:35 PM
in reply to: #4581114

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread

I am looking at Racine to be my first HIM. I've done a few marathons but have decided to get into tri's. I did duathlons a lifetime ago but was never much of a swimmer. Read the total immersion book and started working on the drills and it seems to make sense. So I have a sprint that I'm going to do in June and then attempt racine. Also have another marathon thrown in for good measure along with probably a couple of 10k's.

I'm looking forward to it. I've heard many great things about it except I hear the roads are bumpy on the bike!

2013-01-17 6:33 AM

Hey! Glad the new thread started. I had posted this question in last year's thread.  My wife and I will be doing it!

Where are the best places to stay?  I have looked and there isn't anything that would be within walking distance to the start.  So, I was considering just staying up in Milwaukee, since there will then be more to do the day before the race, etc.  Also, what is parking like on race day?  Are there recommended places to park in the morning?

Looking forward to the race!

2013-01-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4582151

User image

Sioux Falls, SD

This will be my 3rd year doing this race and I LOVE this race, although this will be my 2nd HIM of the year, which will be a first and present new challenges.  Everyone on here that has done it is really great and helpful (especially you Cyndi [cynner] and Amy [Gordon mom]"!) if anyone has any questions about anything.  Great place to ask questions, gain knowledge and just talk about the race in general.

timkelley - 2013-01-17 6:33 AM

Hey! Glad the new thread started. I had posted this question in last year's thread.  My wife and I will be doing it!

Where are the best places to stay?  I have looked and there isn't anything that would be within walking distance to the start.  So, I was considering just staying up in Milwaukee, since there will then be more to do the day before the race, etc.  Also, what is parking like on race day?  Are there recommended places to park in the morning?

Looking forward to the race!

I'm staying at the Comfort Inn in Racine for the 2nd straight year.  The first year I did it I didn't book a place until spring and had to stay in Kenosha.  I would say that the shorter the drive you have on race day the better.  It's just one less thing to worry about and stress over.  There are some great hotels in Racine so I would book them now and stay right in town.  Plus, I love the atmosphere of being in a town with 1,800 other triathletes.  I haven't had too very many issues with parking on race day, as long as you are willing to have a half mile walk (at most) to transition from where you parked.

2013-01-17 4:20 PM

User image

Wisconsin

Hi there, nice to see you're doing Racine again Michael.  This is my favorite also.  What other HIM are you doing before this?  Last year was the first summer we did two, with Racine our second also.  It wasn't as hard as you think.  Ok well I guess depending on which race and how close to Racine it is. 

Our training plan starts officially Feb. 4th- good times!!!

Just a comment one earlier about the bike being bumpy.  Yes it is a rough ride in some spots but not the entire route.  My hope is some repair work has been done to them considering that is one negative comment everyone makes.  If you live in an area that gets snow though you know the roads take a beating so what you likely ride on is what race day will be like. 

184 days!!!

2013-01-18 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4583291

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
gordon_mom - 2013-01-17 4:20 PM

Hi there, nice to see you're doing Racine again Michael.  This is my favorite also.  What other HIM are you doing before this?  Last year was the first summer we did two, with Racine our second also.  It wasn't as hard as you think.  Ok well I guess depending on which race and how close to Racine it is. 

Our training plan starts officially Feb. 4th- good times!!!

Just a comment one earlier about the bike being bumpy.  Yes it is a rough ride in some spots but not the entire route.  My hope is some repair work has been done to them considering that is one negative comment everyone makes.  If you live in an area that gets snow though you know the roads take a beating so what you likely ride on is what race day will be like. 

184 days!!!

I'm doing Kansas as well.  It's the beginning of June so with 6 weeks between I think I should be fine, but I'll want to get good tapers in for both.  My only concern is all the horror stories from Kansas last year with the weather.

And I agree with Amy on the bike course.  I think 90% of the bike course has nice smooth roads.  There is only a couple mile stretch in town right at the beginning/end of the course that is bumpy because of the breaks in the concrete.  I think the "bumpiness" of the bike course gets blown out of proportion.  Although 2 years ago there was a quarter mile stretch heading east that looked more like a gravel road it was so broken up, but I think that got re-done for last years race if I remember correctly.

2013-01-18 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4584187

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL

And I agree with Amy on the bike course.  I think 90% of the bike course has nice smooth roads.  There is only a couple mile stretch in town right at the beginning/end of the course that is bumpy because of the breaks in the concrete.  I think the "bumpiness" of the bike course gets blown out of proportion.  Although 2 years ago there was a quarter mile stretch heading east that looked more like a gravel road it was so broken up, but I think that got re-done for last years race if I remember correctly.

I agree.  I did Racine last year for the first time and you hear these horror stories of how bad the roads are.  Really?  There is the one section leading out/into town with those stupid expansion breaks.  It feels really bad on the way back after 50 miles but by then I was ready to be off the bike.  I also remember one section out in the country that was rough for a 1/2 mile.

Not to be a smartazz, but where are people racing that have totally perfect roads?  I have done many races in N. IL and WI and each course had some little section of just plain bad roads.  Bigfoot?  How about that section of Stateline Road that was basically crumbled blacktop?  Or the rumble strips at some of the intersections?  And I would hardly call Lake Shore Drive "smooth" at the Chicago tri.

2013-01-18 11:49 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

I'd glad to read that the road conditions aren't as bad as they seemed to have been described in the RR's. I was expecting 20 miles of bone-juddering cycling.

Has anyone done both Steelhead and Racine, that can comment on the comparison in road quality?

I completed Steelhead last year, and the roads were great, for the most part, but there were a couple mile stretches where it was tough going on the bike due to the asphalt condition.

I'm excited for Racine, although my focus all year will be on IMKY. Two weeks into training, 31 weeks to go (26 for Racine).

2013-01-18 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4584575

User image

I have not done either but I know two people who have done both a couple of times and they are torn. One because they both have complained about the roads in Racine but on the flip side they say you don't know what you're going to get with the currents at steelhead. Both have actually decided that they probably won't do steelhead again because of the swim unknowns and would rather deal with some bumps. They've both also said that Racine is great, especially the swim and run.

Yes I can completely understand why/how the bumps are there with the midwest winters and perhaps the people I was talking to were just trying to open my eyes as to what to expect.

I am looking forward to it 

2013-01-18 12:22 PM

User image

Wisconsin

If you want a feel for the roads, head out on mainstreet before you rack your bike.  That is really the worst part out and back.  Can't change them and maybe the city has fixed them a bit.  Once we are out on the roads I'll update since we ride the course often. 

Have not done Steelhead either but have read alot about those conditions also.  Personally the roads are what they are and you prepare.  I need the motivation on the run which you totally have in Racine.  All of the people out in the neighborhoods with hoses to help cool you- can't beat it. 

On the news this morning the lake temp was 40, just had to toss that out there for a giggle

Amy

2013-01-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4584187

User image

New user
Kenosha
buckeyeguy77 - 2013-01-18 9:14 AM

I'm doing Kansas as well.  It's the beginning of June so with 6 weeks between I think I should be fine, but I'll want to get good tapers in for both.  My only concern is all the horror stories from Kansas last year with the weather.

Mike,
Amy and I both did Kansas last year. It was a record breaker with the heat, but what I found much more challenging was the "in the face" 30 MPH sustained winds for a 5 mile stretch that had 3 hills. Amy saw someone fall over on the bike. I watched peeps walk up the hills. The cross-winds on a couple of stretches were almost worse than all that. I just about lost control at one point. Overall, it's a fun bike route, though. :-)

Cyndi

2013-01-18 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
I have done Racine the past two years and the first year i had no idea abut the bumps so for some reason they just really bothered me and continued on in my head for the rest of the year. But last year when I was aware of them I barely noticed.  I think it is overblown.  Other than the photographer who sits on the hill on the run course what else is there to complain about in this race haha (except the weather which the race has no control overLaughing)
2013-01-18 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
YAY!!!  The Racine 70.3 thread is up and running.  My sister (newbiethalete) and I will be doing Racine again this year.  It will be her 2nd HIM and my 5th.  We did Racine last year and we are returning again because it is a great venue.   
2013-01-19 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4584792

User image

Sioux Falls, SD

tmoran80 - 2013-01-18 12:57 PM Other than the photographer who sits on the hill on the run course what else is there to complain about in this race haha (except the weather which the race has no control overLaughing)

I have grown to really despise that photographer!  I mean come on man! I'm sure racers have said something to him, so I think he's just being mean at this point.

2013-01-22 11:05 AM

User image

Wisconsin

For any local that are looking for something tri-related to do this weekend-Mulltisport expo in Franklin.  I haven't been before but have heard it's a great place for deals on gear.  Looks like they have a few speakers that some may be interested in too. 

http://www.multisportexpo.com/Multisport_Expo/Home.html

2013-01-23 10:49 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Its going to be an epic weekend...Friday night Pearl Jam at Wrigley, Sat check in, Sunday race then a few days to be a piggie!

2013-02-04 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin

Great info from everyone.  Looking at this for my first HIM also.  Have done a total of 19 shorter course tris and a couple of Half Marathons.  Couple of questions for everyone.

For a Sunday race, do you usually stay Friday and Saturday night in town?

What training plans is everyone using?  I am looking at the BT Beginner HIM one, which runs 20 weeks, 4 base and 16 training, which would give me a start date of 2/25.

2013-02-04 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4607649

User image

New user

Deerfield

Probably no reason to come down on Friday night unless you want that much extra time to get settled in and see the course.  Most athletes arrive around mid-day Saturday to get in a few short reps. 

I used the BT plan from Alpine, and it worked out great last year for my first HIM.  I'm adapting it this year to fit my needs better this second time around (bike and run endurance).  It's a very balanced plan, and relatively easy to keep up with while also holding down a full time job and family life.

2013-02-06 9:24 AM

User image

New user

Chicago
The excitement is killing me!  The Racine 70.3 will be my first HIM ever.  I'm also signed up for the Miami 70.3.  So, looks like there will be a LOT of training going on this year.  Can't wait!
2013-02-06 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I'm considering Racine as my "A" race this year. It's 900 miles away so if I decide on Racine I must make it into a family vacation. I have a 5y/o boy and 13y/o girl so I need to make it kid friendly zoo's, amusement parks, ball games, etc.I know Milwaukee and Chicago are close. Any ideas? Somebody sell me on Racine?The other races I'm considering are Boulder and Redman. I did Redman last year and it is a great race that is close to home but just trying to look at other options.

Edited by EKH 2013-02-06 10:32 AM
2013-02-06 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4611057

User image

Sioux Falls, SD

EKH - 2013-02-06 10:28 AM I'm considering Racine as my "A" race this year. It's 900 miles away so if I decide on Racine I must make it into a family vacation. I have a 5y/o boy and 13y/o girl so I need to make it kid friendly zoo's, amusement parks, ball games, etc.I know Milwaukee and Chicago are close. Any ideas? Somebody sell me on Racine?The other races I'm considering are Boulder and Redman. I did Redman last year and it is a great race that is close to home but just trying to look at other options.

Brewers are at home that weekend. I'm hoping to go to the game Friday night.  Should be fun and isn't too far from Racine.

2013-02-06 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
I can't wait for Racine either! It will be my "A" race this season and only my 2nd HIM ever! I'll be road-tripping from Colorado to meet up with a friend from high school (haven't seen in 20+ years) so it should be a fun weekend
2013-02-06 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4611057

User image

New user
Kenosha
EKH - 2013-02-06 10:28 AM

I'm considering Racine as my "A" race this year. It's 900 miles away so if I decide on Racine I must make it into a family vacation. I have a 5y/o boy and 13y/o girl so I need to make it kid friendly zoo's, amusement parks, ball games, etc.I know Milwaukee and Chicago are close. Any ideas? Somebody sell me on Racine?The other races I'm considering are Boulder and Redman. I did Redman last year and it is a great race that is close to home but just trying to look at other options.

For the 5 year old, there's the zoo (that we run through). For everyone, North Beach has to be one of the best beaches in the area. You would think you're at the ocean (except for the cooler Lake Michigan water and no sticky salt). If you're staying a few days, Great America is about 1/2 hour from Racine. The outlet mall is in Kenosha about 15-20 minutes from Racine.

The venue is very nice...the bike route is flat. You will hear about 'rough' roads. I'd say there's a couple of bad stretches: 1) out in the county there's a 1/4 mile stretch of bad road at about the 30 mile mark. 2) coming back to transition, down main street (last 4 miles of ride) is bumpy. Some of the road has been re-paved, but most of it is still rough.

The run is along Lake Michigan and along Main Street. All the residents are very supportive and will help with cooling (sprinklers, hoses, squirt guns, etc.). There are two short hills (albeit steep) out of transition. Since the route is a double-loop, you get to experience them twice. And the photographer will be set up on one of them, guaranteed!! :-)

That's all I got. Maybe Gordon_Mom can add a bit more for you.

Cyndi
2013-02-07 6:29 AM
in reply to: #4611355

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Is Great America an amusement park?  What size is the outlet mall?  It will be the time of year to shop for school clothes.  Thanks for all the info!  Racine does sound like a great race especially the swim in Lake Michigan!
2013-02-07 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4612293

Master
Northern IL

EKH - 2013-02-07 6:29 AM Is Great America an amusement park?  What size is the outlet mall?  It will be the time of year to shop for school clothes.  Thanks for all the info!  Racine does sound like a great race especially the swim in Lake Michigan!

Great America is a pretty good sized amusement park. Lots of bigger roller coasters and smaller rides too.  This is the outlet mall I'm thinking of, though I think there is more than one in the area. And I haven't been in the zoo, but it's close to the transition area for the race. The swim start is at least as far away as the zoo is, so easily walkable to get there.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15