General Discussion Race Reports! » 2013 New Balance Ringling Bridge Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2013 New Balance Ringling Bridge Run - Run4 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
Sarasota YMCA
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 44s
Overall Rank = 1483/1963
Age Group = M55-59
Age Group Rank = 49/58
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5AM. Two cup of coffee and a turkey & egg breakfast sandwich. Left for race site at 6AM. Walked around for about 30 minutes. Took off warm-ups with about 20 minutes to go, them stopped at Port-a-John.
Event warmup:

None, other than walking around and keeping moving.
Run
  • 48m 44s
  • 4 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This has always been my main prep race for the Sarasota Half Marathon coming up in March, comprising the first four miles of the Half course.
Started about 2/3 back in the pack, took a minute or two to get to the start mat after the gun. First mile just flowed along with the pack while sticking to my 3:1 walk/run ratio. Focused on usual stuff: posture, short stride length and maintaining cadence. Shortened stride a bit climbing over bridge. Wasn't really thirsty, but grabbed cup of water at turn-around, which conveniently coincided with one of my walk breaks. Back over the bridge for third mile, probably the toughest part of the race. Glad to get over the top. Tried to start pushing pace with about 3/4 mile to go. One nasty little hill to climb on Tamiami Trail just before turn to finish. Went hard the last couple hundred yards.
What would you do differently?:

Was OK. Not my A race, but did OK for me. Close to my PR which I did back in 2009. Three minutes better than last year. Can tell big difference due to the higher mileage I have put in over the past year. Nevcr felt uncomfortable. Really haven't trained at any faster pace, since I'm targeting the Half. Nothing really to be unhappy about. Glad to get first race of the year under my belt.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and a hot dog. Walked around looking for friends while waiting for the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The usual stuff: age, weight, physique, etc. Definitely felt better prepared compared to last year, primarily due to weight loss and higher training volume over past year, as mentioned above.

Event comments:

One of my favorite races. Well organized with great volunteers. For a good cause (YMCA).

Last updated: 2013-01-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:44 | 04 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/58
Overall: 1483/1963
Performance: Good
Mile 1 10:52 2 12:52 3 12:52 4 12:07
Course: Start on bayfront by Van Wezel performing arts hall. One mile down Tamiami Trail to Ringling Bridge over Sarasota Bay. Cross over bridge & back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-01-19 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: 2013 New Balance Ringling Bridge Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2013 New Balance Ringling Bridge Run Rss Feed