General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sufferfest/tour of sufferlandia videos - questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-28 12:13 AM

Subject: Sufferfest/tour of sufferlandia videos - questions

Can someone explain why these videos are so seemingly popular as training tools?  Unless I'm missing something, aren't they just videos of certain climbs or time trials that you watch as you ride?  Or are there some added training aspects to them?  In other words, if I'm watching one of their videos, do they make suggestions as to how hard you should ride, or a certain cadence or resistance/gear? Is it just a glorified spin class with actual race footage in the background?  

Sorry for all the 101-level questions, but I'm just trying to figure how the videos work so I can figure out if they could work for me.

Thanks.

2013-01-28 1:18 AM
in reply to: #4597246

User image

Veteran
Cleveland, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Sufferfest/tour of sufferlandia videos - questions
The videos have a workout built into them. They also have great motivating music that gets the blood pumping and keep you moving. They turn indoor training into tolerable events with better improvements than a straight spin class.

Depending on the video it may be big gears for climbs with "attacks" from those in the pack, it may be a time trial for shear speed, it all depends on the video.

Pairing it with TrainerRoad and cietual power makes there benefit huge. No longer can you "think" you are going hard when your power is not where it should be. I have found Sufferfest videos are already helping me for this coming season. Also, the comradery you can share with putting you through a workout that may make you want to vomit or actually vomit is awesome. Some of the video footage is lost when the head is down and you are cranking out the workout just to stay in "good graces" from Grunter von Agony.

I hope that helps.

Jonathan
2013-01-28 4:01 AM
in reply to: #4597276

User image

Veteran

jbwills - 2013-01-28 1:18 AM The videos have a workout built into them. They also have great motivating music that gets the blood pumping and keep you moving. They turn indoor training into tolerable events with better improvements than a straight spin class.

Depending on the video it may be big gears for climbs with "attacks" from those in the pack, it may be a time trial for shear speed, it all depends on the video.

Pairing it with TrainerRoad and cietual power makes there benefit huge. No longer can you "think" you are going hard when your power is not where it should be. I have found Sufferfest videos are already helping me for this coming season. Also, the comradery you can share with putting you through a workout that may make you want to vomit or actually vomit is awesome. Some of the video footage is lost when the head is down and you are cranking out the workout just to stay in "good graces" from Grunter von Agony.

I hope that helps.

Jonathan

2x on exactly this. I to was a bit sceptical at first but I seriously just recommend buying a video. They are not expensive at all, give it a go and see what you think. But im pretty sure most people who use them become hooked on them aka people like me. I would recommend Hell Hath No Fury or The Hunted, they are two of my favourite videos. Have fun (or plenty of suffering) with them!

2013-01-28 8:35 AM

User image

Regular
Teaneck, New Jersey
I was also skeptical at first but I have several of the Spinerval videos and Sufferfest blows them away. I use these videos in conjunction with my Computrainer so that my intensity level is in sync with the on screen values. It's great.
2013-01-28 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Check their website, they have short clips of the videos you can see, to get an idea.

And yes, it is cut up race footage, that you watch while riding. But it's built into a structured workout, so that the video content and music is appropriate to the workout. Writing this is like describing fireworks, you really need to experience it.

They do offer a 100% money back guarantee, so you can try one at no risk. There's no DRM on the files, they can be pulled into iTunes or any other program.

I keep a couple on my phone for traveling or the gym.

2013-01-28 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
The best part I like is they have a story line and give you a background. You get pulled into actually thinking you are taking part in the race and you push harder trying to get into the front.

2013-01-28 10:47 AM

Ok,thanks everyone.  I think I'll try one, but from a technical standpoint, if my indoor rides are on a spin bike or Lifecycle indoor bike at the gym (ie. no power meter or anything), do the videos still work as well?  I understand that if I have my bike on rollers with computrainer in front of me that the videos are probably just about perfect.  But what about for a spin or Lifecycle indoor bike at the gym?

Thanks again.

2013-01-28 12:27 PM

User image

The videos are all RPE based.  The spin bike or lifecycle only becomes a problem if you want to pair with TrainerRoad.
2013-01-28 1:07 PM
in reply to: #4597996

cbire880 - 2013-01-28 1:27 PM The videos are all RPE based.  The spin bike or lifecycle only becomes a problem if you want to pair with TrainerRoad.

RPE based?  Sorry, I'm not familiar with RPE.  What does that mean?

2013-01-28 1:19 PM

no, wait, I think I got it.  RPE = Rating of Perceived Exertion.

2013-01-28 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi again

I work away from home every week and therefore i cannot use my trainer all the time. Therefore i have to use them in my hotels gym, which have a few spin bikes. As long as you are ready to push your self then they are still as good as ever! and like people said you feel as if your in the race so i never have any problems pushing when needed to

2013-01-28 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4598086

User image

LarchmontTri - 2013-01-28 2:19 PM

no, wait, I think I got it.  RPE = Rating of Perceived Exertion.

You got it.

2013-01-28 3:03 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-01-28 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4597791

LarchmontTri - 2013-01-28 11:47 AM

Ok,thanks everyone.  I think I'll try one, but from a technical standpoint, if my indoor rides are on a spin bike or Lifecycle indoor bike at the gym (ie. no power meter or anything), do the videos still work as well?  I understand that if I have my bike on rollers with computrainer in front of me that the videos are probably just about perfect.  But what about for a spin or Lifecycle indoor bike at the gym?

Thanks again.

I wouldn't recommend rollers and sufferfest.  A trainer would be better unless you're really good on rollers.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sufferfest/tour of sufferlandia videos - questions Rss Feed