General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Polar RXC5 heart rate training issue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-01 3:25 AM

Subject: Polar RXC5 heart rate training issue

Hi guys

I've recently purchased the RXC5 from polar along with the GPS sensor and WIND candence sensor for my tri-bike.

This is so I can move up from standard distance tri's to HIM's and next year the IM.

I am running on the basic preset heart rate training zones at present, but am finding that with my running I am running in the top of zone 3, mainly zone 4 and occasionally tipping into zone 5.

Everything I am reading is saying that I should be in zone 2 for the most part, but this is a fast walk for me.

My rate of effort however doesn't feel like I am pushing my runs and my average HR is 152 over about 10 miles. This to me effortwise feels about 75% and I also have plenty more to sprint the last 1/2 K or so.

Is my HR to high or do I need to adjust the training zone rates to on the RXC5 to up my max HR?

PS. I am not to technical so answers in layman's terms please. 

2013-02-01 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4603793

Subject: RE: Polar RXC5 heart rate training issue

I train with the RCX5 and love it!

You definitely need to manually update the zones. See this link on how to preform a lactate threshold field test.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

Once the zones are updated you should find the feature quite useful. 

2013-02-01 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4603793

User image

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Polar RXC5 heart rate training issue

How did you set your zones?

If you let the RCX5 set it based on age/weight/activity level it is probably wrong. 

There is an article here on BT about how to set your zones.  Click here for that article.

Lastly, since I recently wrote an article for BT on the RCX5 I'll take this opportunity to share it here in case anyone is interested.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Polar RXC5 heart rate training issue Rss Feed