United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 57s
Overall Rank = 11/56
Age Group = Men 31-40
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

Was undecided as to whether or not I was actually going to do the race until after I woke up. I set the alarm for 5:40 and snoozed until 6:20. Figured I would go ahead and wake up and go run...

After a bowl of cereal, I put on the coffee and made the girls' breakfasts. Because my sweet wife was away for the night with a girlfriend, I was going to have to bring them to the race, and race with them.

Saw my two neighbors who were doing the race - for both of them, it was their first ever race this long, maybe even the first time they had run more than a couple miles. I was proud of both of them just for showing up in the morning.
Event warmup:

Ran a little more than half a mile or so. Most of that was to check to make sure the wheel on my jog stroller was on straight so it doesn't pull one way or another.

Moseyed on back to the starting line, and then we all walked up to the actual starting line.
Run
  • 20m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

It was kinda funny doing the race with the girls (age 6.5 and 4) in the jog stroller. Got a lot of funny looks and comments and what-not. One of my friends asked me what I thought my timme would be, and I told him it would be about 21 minutes or so. He looked back to another friend and said it might be close. Not sure if he meant with him, or the other friend... Right after the start, I started pulling away from him. I know that I am much faster than him, so I told the girls, "Say good-bye to Mr. Jones." He added, "already starting with the smack talk?" Heck, I wasn't going to see him again until the finish line, so I figured I'd better get it in now.

Started passing a bunch of folks at the start of the race, because I could not get me and my stroller up to the start line. Just had to make sure I gave everybody enough room and stay to the wide side.

My mile splits were:
6:26
7:08
7:22 - last 1.1 So it was in 6:41 pace.

Nobody passed me the whole race. That's a nice feeling. The only exception was that a friend of mine passed my right at the start of the second lap, but I passed him back fairly quickly. And, at the end of the race, about the last half mile or so, a kid and I dueled it out for a while, but he wound up finishing a second ahead of me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It's a 5K. Who cares?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and drank a little bit of water and had a banana and a cookie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Duh. The jog stroller.

Event comments:

After the race, we found out that my neighbor won 2nd in her age group! I was very proud of her!

Also, my friend, Mr. Jones, won third in his age group and received a ribbon. Yes, a ribbon. Sweet.

Last updated: 2006-07-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:57 | 03.11 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 11/56
Performance: Good
Course: Almost two laps around the park. The first third or so went gradually uphill, then the second third went sharply downhill and the las third was again gradually uphill.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-01 7:49 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: Sparks in the Park

2006-07-01 8:22 PM
in reply to: #471945

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Sparks in the Park
Dude you raced with a jogging stroller.... That's awesome!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sparks in the Park Rss Feed