Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Weird pregnancy symptoms... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-23 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4633627

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Weird pregnancy symptoms...
TriRSquared - 2013-02-22 2:26 PM

KeriKadi - 2013-02-19 7:11 PM I was incredibly demanding of ummm marital relations. Like would wake the poor man in the middle of the night kind of demanding.

My wife was like this.  I had to beg for mercy at times.

you poor guy.

2013-02-23 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4629147

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

experienced a pregnant wife twice and that is enough for a life time.  I would not want to be pregnant...just does not seem like very much fun at all. That said, I remember my wife being very sensitive to smells and to this day will does not like to eat sliced turkey.  Funniest memory of her being pregnant, I hear her pull in to the garage and after a few minutes I check to see if she is ok.  I go inside the garage and see her chowing on Taco Bell.  What's really funny about this is she NEVER would eat fast food and was very careful about what she put in her body.  That changed after being pregnant.

And congratulations!  I have a son and daughter (11 and 13) and having them in my life is the best thing that has ever happened for me.

2013-02-23 12:36 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
I'm at 23 weeks this weekend. Don't know if I've had any crazy weird symptoms or crazy cravings. I've always liked spicy food and continue to crave it, and maybe a bit more dairy than before, though recently I just LOVE blueberries.  Biggest issue for me has been lower back pain.  I'm not used to having a belly of any sorts (wasn't a 6 pack before, but just don't gain weight around the middle), nor having, ummm the girls like they are now. So, that's given me some back aches--though my dear husband has been great with massaging that out.  The 1st Trimester KICKED MY BUTT.  I never got actually sick, but felt sickish up to 12-13 weeks, and NEVER BEFORE (including during training for 3 IMs and other tri/running stuff) have I felt as exhausted as I was then. A normal day at work, then I'd be needing to nap as soon as I got home and in bed by 8:30 or 9! 2nd Trimester has been a lot more energy and working out (nearly impossible 1st trimester) which has been nice.  The little guy is fairly active. I am very happy about the end product (our little guy), but won't be upset to start the recovery and get back to some fitness, and play with our little man. 
2013-02-23 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island

I had some weird dreams about the baby for a couple of weeks, but that's about it. I'm 23 weeks and didn't have much morning sickness at all, only random, short-lived bouts of exhaustion, and no real cravings. I got big pretty quick so the toughest part for me has been that I no longer really have the use of my abs, putting on tie shoes is starting to become a challenge, and I'm quickly losing sight of anything below my belly.

2013-02-24 8:05 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
My joints turned blue when I was pregnant.  In fact, when I was newly pregnant with #3, and had not yet shared the news with anyone, I was at a party and outed by a loud "you're pregnant!" when friends noticed my fingers turning blue.
2013-02-24 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Not so much a weird symptom, but some unsolicited advice.  My wife gave birth to out daughter on Thursday.  She went into early labor on Tuesday morning.  At 10:00pm Tuesday night she was only 1.5cm dilated.  Contractions went all day Wednesday and Thursday morning.  At noon Thursday she was 5cm dilated and we went into the hospital.  At 9pm Thursday she was still 5cm dilated so we had to do a c-section.  As of today she is up and walking around, taking showers by herself, holding the baby without issues, sitting in a chair rather than bed, etc...

Doctor said one of the main reasons she was able to be so strong through all of this was that she started her pregnancy is great shape and worked out throughout her pregnancy.  She is a multiple Boston Marathon finisher and a strong marathoner.  Throughout week 25 or so, she would run 3-4 times a week with a long run of 8 or 9 miles.  Her pace was much easier than in the past.  She also did a decent amount of strength training.  In fact on Monday she did 4 miles of brisk walking on our treadmill.  On Thursday morning the doctor has us go for a 2 hour walk to help speed up the dilation.  We walked almost 5 miles between her contractions.  

Long story short, I would highly, highly encourage all of the women in this thread who are pregnant to keep working out.  It will help so much with your delivery and recovery.  Obviously, get your doctor's approval before hand.  I am not a doctor, but I did stay in the hospital last night.  

Good luck everybody, look forward to the journey.  It is awesome when you meet your child for the first time.  

2013-02-24 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4634815

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
mattb1 - 2013-02-24 7:11 AM

Not so much a weird symptom, but some unsolicited advice.  My wife gave birth to out daughter on Thursday.  She went into early labor on Tuesday morning.  At 10:00pm Tuesday night she was only 1.5cm dilated.  Contractions went all day Wednesday and Thursday morning.  At noon Thursday she was 5cm dilated and we went into the hospital.  At 9pm Thursday she was still 5cm dilated so we had to do a c-section.  As of today she is up and walking around, taking showers by herself, holding the baby without issues, sitting in a chair rather than bed, etc...

Doctor said one of the main reasons she was able to be so strong through all of this was that she started her pregnancy is great shape and worked out throughout her pregnancy.  She is a multiple Boston Marathon finisher and a strong marathoner.  Throughout week 25 or so, she would run 3-4 times a week with a long run of 8 or 9 miles.  Her pace was much easier than in the past.  She also did a decent amount of strength training.  In fact on Monday she did 4 miles of brisk walking on our treadmill.  On Thursday morning the doctor has us go for a 2 hour walk to help speed up the dilation.  We walked almost 5 miles between her contractions.  

Long story short, I would highly, highly encourage all of the women in this thread who are pregnant to keep working out.  It will help so much with your delivery and recovery.  Obviously, get your doctor's approval before hand.  I am not a doctor, but I did stay in the hospital last night.  

Good luck everybody, look forward to the journey.  It is awesome when you meet your child for the first time.  

So were you complaining about unsolicited advice...and then you just gave some?

Personally, while I applaud your wife...I don't appreciate you pointing out the obvious. I felt nauseated all day between weeks 6-11ish. And now that I'm feeling better... I have an injured knee (suspected torn MCL). I honestly really don't need the reminder to exercise. I think maybe you should skip giving the advice to women on their pregnancy.

-Fat Lady

2013-02-24 7:19 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Wow, that's friggin' awesome! And oh so relevant.

2013-02-24 8:07 PM
in reply to: #4635243

User image

Master
Chicago
briderdt - 2013-02-24 7:19 PM

I apologize for offending you and your wife. Didn't mean too. I'm tired and was just trying to give a perspecitve. Good luck with the start of your family. I wish you and your wife the best for a safe pregnancy and a healthy and happy little one. It is an amazing experience.

Edited by mattb1 2013-02-24 8:16 PM
2013-02-24 8:31 PM
in reply to: #4635288

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
mattb1 - 2013-02-24 6:07 PM

I apologize for offending you and your wife. Didn't mean too. I'm tired and was just trying to give a perspecitve. Good luck with the start of your family. I wish you and your wife the best for a safe pregnancy and a healthy and happy little one. It is an amazing experience.

Matt- thanks for your comments....to the others, give the guy a break, he's on a high and sleep deprivation from the first few days of being a Dad. He passed on something to a lot of us BT women who happen to be with child right now.  It wasn't meant to offend, but rather encourage. I know pregnancy hormones can get to us all (ask my husband) and he may be a guy, but let's not overlook well-intentioned encouragement.  Pregnancy is different for all of us, and a board like this--where many of us have endurance lifestyles when not pregnant--are likely to do our best (within each individual circumstance) to stay as fit as is feasible.  I only saw it as encouragement towards that being helpful, definitely not whining and condemnation for those who weren't.  Congrats on fatherhood, Matt! Congrats to all the ladies (and parents-to-be) as we wade these waters, many of us for the first time.  I was glad to just see a post in here about something pregnancy related and see how many BT ladies are in the same boat as me...though each boat is individual. I wish you all a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby! It has been a roller coaster for me, thus far, so it's nice to interact with those who have some interaction with y'all.

Not looking to argue this point, but I, at least, appreciated his comments and saw it as encouragement.

2013-02-25 8:26 AM

Master

I'll add some more unsolicited advice.  Smile

Yoga helped my back pain SO much, especially in the final weeks of pregnancy.  If you have the means, I highly recommend taking either prenatal yoga classes or some form of a slow Yin/Restorative yoga class.  I can't say enough good things about what it did for my body and for my mind leading up to the birth of my son.

Good luck to everyone and congrats to all of the new parents out there!

2013-02-25 2:56 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I am not upset at Matt, nor did I take it personally. I just thought:

1) It was interesting that he seemed to be complaining about unsolicited advice...and then giving it

and

2) Interesting that a guy was giving pregnancy advice.

I know I have gained too much weight and haven't exercised enough, but due to the circumstances I don't really have a choice. But I guess I didn't need the obvious reminder that I should be exercising.

Congrats to the new father!

2013-02-25 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4635243

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Someone is wound up a little tight! 
BTer giving his very recent and very personal experience in a very related thread. And gets the sarc font. No words.

2013-02-25 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4633820

User image

Master

froglegs - 2013-02-22 4:26 PM I'm in my 18th week, and one thing I've noticed is that my sense of smell is extremely sensitive. For example, a couple weeks ago my husband peeled an orange for a late-night snack, and even from the other end of the house the smell was so strong that it actually woke me up. Also, whenever someone in my office makes coffee, it smells like tuna to me. I've had a serious daily coffee habit since I was a teenager, and now I can't stand the stuff and haven't touched a drop in 3 months.

YES! at about 4-5 months my sense of smell went crazy. DH was starting a business and take-out was a staple for him and his friends. Pizza Hut and chinese food sent me over the edge. There could be noooo leftovers in fridge or everything stunk like the greasiness (in my mind, of course...bothered no one else).

2013-02-25 7:50 PM

User image

Master

Congratulations to you and your wife, and thank you for sharing! Labor and delivery for all 3 children were tough, even with the 3rd child who I ran during pg with up till the day before she arrived. It's just always been hard for me. My body fights the process each time, which results in hours of painful labor.

The difference for me was the recovery of my body back to pre-pg weight and fitness level. A lot quicker having been active all through 3rd pg.

Edited by Blanda 2013-02-25 7:51 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Weird pregnancy symptoms... Rss Feed  

of 2